Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Gen Ed credits
Thinking of moving some courses around in my son's planned coursework-

1.  Could Shmoop's Bible as Lit be used for Information Literacy?

2.  Could Straighterline's World Religions be considered Diversity?  TESU lists an UL world religion to count, but I wasn't sure.

3.  Could Shmoop's Business Communication be considered a Gen Ed credit?

Thank you.
1) I don't think so, they're pretty strict about that requirement. But you can use World Religion there.

2) No, it doesn't. You can use Sociology or Anthropology though.

3) It comes in as COM-202, so yes, you can use it in Knowledge of Human Cultures, Gen Ed Electives, the BALS AOS (LL), or Free Electives.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-23-2018, 10:25 PM)dfrecore Wrote: 1) I don't think so, they're pretty strict about that requirement.  But you can use World Religion there.

2) No, it doesn't.  You can use Sociology or Anthropology though.

3) It comes in as COM-202, so yes, you can use it in Knowledge of Human Cultures, Gen Ed Electives, the BALS AOS (LL), or Free Electives.

When did SL World Religion stop being counted as Diversity GenEd? That used to be the defacto for that slot... at least when I first started this journey a few years back. I have been assuming both the SL and Study.com Religion courses would be slotted as either Diversity or Info Lit. It won't matter for me since I have both Cultural Anthropology and World Religion planned, but this seems odd.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(03-23-2018, 11:24 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(03-23-2018, 10:25 PM)dfrecore Wrote: 1) I don't think so, they're pretty strict about that requirement.  But you can use World Religion there.

When did SL World Religion stop being counted as Diversity GenEd? That used to be the defacto for that slot... at least when I first started this journey a few years back. I have been assuming both the SL and Study.com Religion courses would be slotted as either Diversity or Info Lit. It won't matter for me since I have both Cultural Anthropology and World Religion planned, but this seems odd.

You're right, I was thinking of something else.  I think I have World Religions in the Info Lit slot and Sociology in the Diversity slot because people were getting confused, and were thinking you could "double-dip" like COSC allows, which TESU doesn't.

So, yes, you can use World Religions as a Diversity course.  And no, you can't use Bible Lit as the Info Lit area.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-24-2018, 12:29 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(03-23-2018, 11:24 PM)Merlin Wrote:

You're right, I was thinking of something else.  I think I have World Religions in the Info Lit slot and Sociology in the Diversity slot because people were getting confused, and were thinking you could "double-dip" like COSC allows, which TESU doesn't.

So, yes, you can use World Religions as a Diversity course.  And no, you can't use Bible Lit as the Info Lit area.

That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
Thank you for the responses. Are there any Shmoop classes that will be counted towards Info Lit area?

Anthropology and Sociology are both used in my son's AOS , so he can't use them in the Gen Ed areas.
(03-24-2018, 07:39 PM)Sparrowhawk Wrote: Thank you for the responses.  Are there any Shmoop classes that will be counted towards Info Lit area?  

Anthropology and Sociology are both used in my son's AOS , so he can't use them in the Gen Ed areas.

Well, if you really want to use an AOS course to fulfill a GenEd requirement you can always ask for it to be planned that way. You'd just need to find another AOS course. It's the UL AOS courses that really matter anyway, so you can mix and match with the LL ones easy enough.

However, in regards to Shmoop, there are no courses that satisfy the Info Lit requirement that I know of. Shmoop is primarily focused on Humanities, but for the most part, they have courses that cover every other GenEd except Info Lit. TESU has a pretty narrow focus in regard to the types of courses they will accept for that.

If you're open to Study.com your options for alternative Info Lit courses increases a bit..
  • Information Literacy (Lib Sci 101)
  • Introduction to Criminology (Crim Justice 104)
  • Research Methods in Psychology (Psych 105)
Note: Not all of these are confirmed, and some that have been previously confirmed appear to be debated, so it is best to verify with advising to be sure.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
Study.com's Analyzing and Interpreting Literature should count towards Information Literacy as well.
(03-24-2018, 09:40 PM)Muldoon Wrote: Study.com's Analyzing and Interpreting Literature should count towards Information Literacy as well.

Pretty sure the CLEP covers it as well (plus it's 6 credits).
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

(03-24-2018, 09:40 PM)Muldoon Wrote: Study.com's Analyzing and Interpreting Literature should count towards Information Literacy as well.

Hmm, I'm not sure, but it seems like it should.

(03-24-2018, 10:01 PM)quigongene Wrote: Pretty sure the CLEP covers it as well (plus it's 6 credits).

Forgot about that one, but I can confirm that the CLEP does since that is where TESU slotted it for me.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,967 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,656 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,089 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,629 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,723 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,335 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,583 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,316 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,368 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,854 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore