Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Quarter to Semester Hours
In the past, Baker used Quarter Hours instead of Semester Hours. They have since switched to Semester Hours. 

My husband has around 15 courses where he earned 4 QH vs 3 SH. According to the TESU website 4 QH transfers as 2.67 SH. That leaves each of the applicable courses short .33 SH. Does anyone know how TESU may handle this?
In essence, he's missing two courses for 6 credits and it's because the 15 courses add up to 40 credits. Hopefully, he has a few courses already that can be used as extra electives. He'll be missing a few .33 sh credits for each area the courses fit in... however, not much is lost, he can take a few cheap/easy/fast general education courses and they'll just grant him enough credits for each one, as long as the total credits equal 120+, he's fine.

As an example: He has 3 Humanities courses and that equals 8 credits, he'll be missing 1 credit for the required 9. If he has extra credits in general education electives, a course can be used to add to that number as an exception. Another example using semester hours: People here use the free Ethics course for 2 credits. They are granted an exception for the ethics requirement, and the missing credit is made up by taking a free 1 credit sociology course - Essentials of Managing Conflict by Sophia Learning.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • cookderosa
(08-17-2018, 07:08 PM)shadowgem Wrote: In the past, Baker used Quarter Hours instead of Semester Hours. They have since switched to Semester Hours. 

My husband has around 15 courses where he earned 4 QH vs 3 SH. According to the TESU website 4 QH transfers as 2.67 SH. That leaves each of the applicable courses short .33 SH. Does anyone know how TESU may handle this?

Hi,
I had one course like that, it transferred in as 2.67 hours on my TESU academic evaluation, so the .67 is wasted.  The fractions should add up however.
J.d.
Thank you both!

When I convert the QH, he is looking at having over 140 SH so far. I am hopeful he will have plenty that will fit into the free electives/general education section if they allow him to use those towards the deficit.

Does it make any difference if some of the courses are in the required AOS? Can he still make those up using other credits they allocate into free electives or general education electives? Or would those courses need to be repeated?
The AOS doesn't need to be repeated, but there will be a need to make up the missing credits. For example, if he's going for a BS Tech Studies, it requires 18 UL in the Area of Study, if he's got 17 - he will be missing 1 credit. There aren't many 1 or 2 credit courses that are UL, so he'll have to take a 3 credit course to make up the missing credit. You shouldn't need to worry, wait for the evaluation. If you want to "have a glimpse" of what credits he will have, create yourself a spreadsheet template...

(08-17-2018, 07:08 PM)shadowgem Wrote: In the past, Baker used Quarter Hours instead of Semester Hours. They have since switched to Semester Hours. 

This is how it works for all schools when converting quarter to semester. It sucks, but its what it is. I have several as well, and it means I end up having to take another 3 credit course to make up a 0.33 credit deficit in my GenEd's.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
OP - I forgot to mention or just wanting to be more clear, all the courses that are missing .33 SH credits, they can take the extra credit from any general education courses you may have left over. If the course is in the AOS (concentration), you have to take a concentration course to get the credit, they won't move a random general education course to fit your UL AOS course.

Like bjcheung77 said, apply and get your eval so you know. You also need to know what they're going to apply towards your AOS, so you need the eval anyway.

You can still take courses that you KNOW you'll need, like English I or Speech or Science or whatever you know for sure you're missing, while you wait for the eval to come through.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-18-2018, 11:13 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Like bjcheung77 said, apply and get your eval so you know.  You also need to know what they're going to apply towards your AOS, so you need the eval anyway.

You can still take courses that you KNOW you'll need, like English I or Speech or Science or whatever you know for sure you're missing, while you wait for the eval to come through.

He's already applied and is waiting for the evaluation to be completed. But if he has any chance of graduating by December with the two ASNSM Bio/Math, we need to first identify courses we know he'll need long before we hear back from TESU I imagine lol 

That was the purpose of the question, since it effects both the gen ed/aos areas of study for the ASNSM Bio/Math degrees. I just wanted to make sure in case he needed to plan in any repeat gen ed/aos courses. 

Thank you everyone for the insights!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,925 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,022 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,580 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,668 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,291 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,282 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,321 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore