Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Second Bachelors
Hello everyone, have been following the forum and first time posting. After recently completing my Bachelor Arts in Liberal Studies (Computer Science concentration) from TESU I decided I would take another 6 months and apply for a second degree. 

The degree of Bachelor of Science Business Administration (Computer Information Systems) made sense because a lot would transfer and just needed a number of business courses to complete the degree. 

The requirements state that you must complete atleast new 24 credits in the area of study and/or core of the degree. These new 24 courses must be earned after the date of graduation, but as far as I understand it this doesn't exclude any previously completed courses. 
https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/award-of-degrees
https://blog.tesu.edu/the-secret-to-earn...ond-degree

Second Baccalaureate Degree
Students who have received one baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution and wish to earn a second baccalaureate degree must:
  • Complete a minimum of 24 credits including the required capstone for the degree. These credits must be in the area of study and/or core of the degree. These credits must be earned after the date the most recent degree, regardless of academic level, was conferred.
  • Additionally, students must complete all other degree requirements as listed in the current Thomas Edison State University Catalog.

After applying I received a notification that none of the computer science or computer information systems courses previously used in the area of study for the first degree could be applied to the second degree. Does anyone have experience with this?

Dylan Blankenship
you have to take 24 new credits for the new degree. I'm doing a 2nd degree myself and they were super clear about that

since you're doing computer systems you might see if they'll let you count some business courses that deal with computers or something like that. i would bet you that you could get all the credits you need from Study.com, it should be pretty simple
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Seriously, that's all it takes is 24 new credits for the second degree. So, what that means is - the AOS, you can reuse the previous 9 credits if you tell them which 3 courses you want to move over, but you will still need to take 24 credits total.

Essentially, 3 credits will be from your Capstone, 9 credits will be from your new AOS in CIS, and the last 12 can be anything in your BSBA core business requirements, you need to make sure those requirements are all met as well.

Note: In the slight chance you have every single course completed already before you hit the BSBA CIS AOS, then you need to take anything within your degree that doesn't duplicate or overlap. So that means you need new credits distributed as follows, 18 AOS credits, 3 capstone, 3 gen ed/free elective. Voila, you're done!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
do you have to re-do the capstone? mine is showing already completed from my first degree
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

jsh1138 Wrote:do you have to re-do the capstone? mine is showing already completed from my first degree
TESU list of schools of study - Link: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/schools

For you, no... There is no extra capstone needed if you're going to do a second BA from the same school of study. There is only an extra capstone if you change to a BSBA with some AOS, or another type of degree, such as the BS Technical Studies as either of these are from another school of study.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
right, I knew you had to do it again if it was going from a BA to a BS but sometimes not, that's what I was getting at

(03-18-2020, 09:44 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: right, I knew you had to do it again if it was going from a BA to a BS but sometimes not, that's what I was getting at

I am not sure where I saw it and I could be wrong about this.  But I recall a post on someone who earned a BA from TESU and then wanted to go back and earn a different BA. They were told they would have to take the excat same Capstone again for the new BA.

Found the post: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid286031

The user had already earned a BA in LS and wanted to earn another BA
I think you have to take a capstone for every degree except for a dual degree at the same time in the same "school".
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 11 1,974 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 258 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 266 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,155 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 568 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch