Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU academic evaluation
Could not find an answer in the search on degree forum, here is the situation, my academic evaluation just updated with the latest transcripts they received and all the 1 credit courses were moved to the Other Courses category. It seems they gave preference to courses of 3 credits over the 1 credit ones but, doing so, they also removed letter grade courses. 
I have a 4 credit course that was a C from ages ago, it is in general electives just like these 1 credit courses, if I ask, do they switch the 4 credit course with four 1 credit ones that have a better letter grade?
There is no reason to move them; unless you need them - such as you swap LL for UL, or they help you meet an area requirement.  Courses that you transfer in don't count towards your TESU GPA - but no matter what, any course they've accepted will appear on your official TESU transcript once you earn your degree (even if the courses aren't applied to your earned degree).
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • tallpilot
(08-05-2020, 08:50 PM)allvia Wrote: There is no reason to move them; unless you need them - such as you swap LL for UL, or they help you meet an area requirement.  Courses that you transfer in don't count towards your TESU GPA - but no matter what, any course they've accepted will appear on your official TESU transcript once you earn your degree (even if the courses aren't applied to your earned degree).
Thanks, wasn't sure, as I thought it was odd they swapped all the 1 credit courses that were already there with a gen ed course (sophia intro to ethics) that I took which was one extra course that I really didn't need but took anyway. So letter grades from community college from years ago do not count towards overall GPA?
(08-05-2020, 09:57 PM)Lacedonia4 Wrote: Thanks, wasn't sure, as I thought it was odd they swapped all the 1 credit courses that were already there with a gen ed course (sophia intro to ethics) that I took which was one extra course that I really didn't need but took anyway. So letter grades from community college from years ago do not count towards overall GPA?

Your GPA only matters at the school you earned the credits, this is called your "institutional GPA." The cumulative GPA for all courses you took at an earlier community college is the institutional GPA for that community college. The cumulative GPA for all courses you take at TESU becomes your institutional GPA for TESU. So, if you end up only taking the cornerstone and capstone at TESU directly, those two courses make up your entire institutional GPA at TESU.

The only other time older school GPA comes into play is when you are transferring to a school with a minimum GPA requirement. The destination school will look at all the transcripts from prior colleges and will calculate a "transfer GPA" based on all of them (or they may select a subset based on their own criteria). The transfer GPA is only used when checking to see if you meet the entrance requirements. Once you start at the new school, you will begin to accrue an institutional GPA from the courses you take directly from the new school.

When you graduate, the GPA that shows on your transcript is the institutional GPA for the school you earned your degree from. It does not include your transfer GPA or institutional GPA's from any prior schools.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(08-05-2020, 11:05 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(08-05-2020, 09:57 PM)Lacedonia4 Wrote: Thanks, wasn't sure, as I thought it was odd they swapped all the 1 credit courses that were already there with a gen ed course (sophia intro to ethics) that I took which was one extra course that I really didn't need but took anyway. So letter grades from community college from years ago do not count towards overall GPA?

Your GPA only matters at the school you earned the credits, this is called your "institutional GPA." The cumulative GPA for all courses you took at an earlier community college is the institutional GPA for that community college. The cumulative GPA for all courses you take at TESU becomes your institutional GPA for TESU. So, if you end up only taking the cornerstone and capstone at TESU directly, those two courses make up your entire institutional GPA at TESU.

The only other time older school GPA comes into play is when you are transferring to a school with a minimum GPA requirement. The destination school will look at all the transcripts from prior colleges and will calculate a "transfer GPA" based on all of them (or they may select a subset based on their own criteria). The transfer GPA is only used when checking to see if you meet the entrance requirements. Once you start at the new school, you will begin to accrue an institutional GPA from the courses you take directly from the new school.

When you graduate, the GPA that shows on your transcript is the institutional GPA for the school you earned your degree from. It does not include your transfer GPA or institutional GPA's from any prior schools.
Thanks, it makes much more sense now. If that is the case, since I only took TES-100 and APS-100 with TESU so far, why I do not see the maximum possible GPA score? With TES-100 being the only one of the two with an actual letter grade as the other was a TECEP..
(08-06-2020, 04:41 AM)Lacedonia4 Wrote: If that is the case, since I only took TES-100 and APS-100 with TESU so far, why I do not see the maximum possible GPA score? With TES-100 being the only one of the two with an actual letter grade as the other was a TECEP..

Your current GPA should be based on the courses completed to date. It won't include TECEP's since they are ungraded. I don't think it would include TES-100 either since that was only 1 credit and ungraded as far as I know. So if you've only taken the Medical Terminology TECEP (APS-100) and the old cornerstone (TES-100) then you probably don't have a GPA at all yet. If your version of TES-100 does have a grade other than PASS/CR then you should have a GPA based on that.

In my case, I applied when it was still possible to waive the cornerstone, so I only took the capstone (BUS-421) from TESU and ended up with an A. So my transcript shows my GPA as 4.00, based on a single course. Everything else was transfer credit and doesn't list grades or influence my GPA at all.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
(08-06-2020, 05:09 AM)Merlin Wrote:
(08-06-2020, 04:41 AM)Lacedonia4 Wrote: If that is the case, since I only took TES-100 and APS-100 with TESU so far, why I do not see the maximum possible GPA score? With TES-100 being the only one of the two with an actual letter grade as the other was a TECEP..

Your current GPA should be based on the courses completed to date. It won't include TECEP's since they are ungraded. I don't think it would include TES-100 either since that was only 1 credit and ungraded as far as I know. So if you've only taken the Medical Terminology TECEP (APS-100) and the old cornerstone (TES-100) then you probably don't have a GPA at all yet. If your version of TES-100 does have a grade other than PASS/CR then you should have a GPA based on that.

In my case, I applied when it was still possible to waive the cornerstone, so I only took the capstone (BUS-421) from TESU and ended up with an A. So my transcript shows my GPA as 4.00, based on a single course. Everything else was transfer credit and doesn't list grades or influence my GPA at all.
Wow, that is great then, as I will take info literacy on SDC as I am older catalog, so the only course that will carry a grade will be LIB-495. Thanks. I shouldn't stress so much then. Big Grin
PS: Just learned from academic advisor that all alternate credits that come in as CR already all correspond to a C because TESU requires a minimum of 70% to pass anyway.
(08-06-2020, 06:52 AM)Lacedonia4 Wrote: PS: Just learned from academic advisor that all alternate credits that come in as CR already all correspond to a C because TESU requires a minimum of 70% to pass anyway.

To be clear, when they say that non-graded courses come in as a C, that doesn't really mean anything when it comes to GPA. The C equivalency is really only used when a minimum grade is needed somewhere in their system.

For example, they have a rule that all courses in an area of study (including the capstone) must be passed with a C or better to earn credit (meet the requirements for graduation). If all your AoS courses are non-graded transfer courses, then that C is used as a placeholder so you can meet graduation requirements.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 258 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 237 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,156 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy