Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU and CCAF??
Being the new kid on the block I am looking for guidance. Having surfed this website for a few hours now I am fairly certain that you all know that TESU has a residency requirement of 12 credits for an AA and 24 for a BA. I currently have 10 residents credits and need at a minimum 14 more to earn my two degrees. Keeping the cost down and earning my degrees within 1 to 2 years time what would you suggest? Being active duty I cannot use TESU's PLA-200 as TA will not pay for it, or else I would rack up everything I could with that.
*I typically take one course at a time to keep my focus on the course work and ultimately my GPA high.

English Comp II will earn me an AAS in Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies (AAS.ENVSAFT)

...AND...

for my BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics (BA.NAS) I need the following...

4 credits in Humanities
5 credits in Social Sciences
6 semester hours of Natural Sciences coursework at any college level.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second question; being an active duty Marine and recently earning my CCAF AAS's in "Instructional Technology and Military Sciences" and "Meteorology" how do other colleges look at this? I have been told everything from, "It's a real community college degree" to "It's a B.S. degree and I could basically toss it in the garbage because it's worthless." Or maybe, to rephrase, how have other people you told responded?

Thank you and I look forward to learning more from you all.

Very Respectfully,
Gunny NR
For your resident credits, I'd pick out the UL credits that might either be hard to find elsewhere or would be nice to have grades for. As far as the AAS, I think both of those answers are correct. It's a regular associate's, and it doesn't​ do much for you either in the job market or at most schools. Unless there's a articulation agreement that gives a block of credits, a school just looks at the individual credits you're bringing in, not the associate's degree.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
TESU is so expensive for resident credits. It seems better to switch after your AA from TESU. Or, pay their residency waiver fee ($1800 for a year, and you can pay close to graduation) and stop taking credits directly from them.

Welcome, Gunny, and thanks for your service!

What Davewill said: +1.

Have you given any thought to education beyond the bachelors? That might give you inspiration for the remaining TESU classes. How are you planning to use the degree - that might give you further/other inspiration. Since you're using TA, definitely choose something that would be expensive elsewhere, or that is hard to find elsewhere. Upper level credits especially.
The residency requirement for non-military is only 16cr. So, might it not be a better option for you to take 2 more courses (assuming that the military is paying for the classes), and then switch to the regular per-credit tuition plan to finish your degree?

And, if the military is not paying for your courses, then you may be better off switching to it now, and skipping the TESU online courses entirely, and just pay the residency waiver of $1800. You can then just do the remaining courses via the options we have on here, paying for it yourself for far less than you'd spend at TESU.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I thought TECEPs and portfolio assessments still counted toward the residency requirement for military students.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:I thought TECEPs and portfolio assessments still counted toward the residency requirement for military students.

They would but since TA only covers classes with "letter grades" (A, B, C, D, F) it cannot be used for PLA.
Gunny NR Wrote:They would but since TA only covers classes with "letter grades" (A, B, C, D, F) it cannot be used for PLA.

It'll be cheaper for you to just pay for the TECEPs out of pocket. Take the ones that will count toward your degree. Five more TECEPs will be $585; that's a lot less than the the residency waiver. Plus, the residency waiver doesn't result in any credits.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:I thought TECEPs and portfolio assessments still counted toward the residency requirement for military students.

I knew they had some different rules for military folks, but TESU certainly doesn't make it easy to find out what they are if you're just clicking around their website.

So if the military is paying for classes, isn't switching to become a regular for-credit student after getting 16cr cheaper than paying for TECEP's out of pocket?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Gunny, correct me if I'm wrong, but TA is limited to $4500/fiscal yr, and you're paying $250/credit hour? Well...how quickly are you wanting to be done?

If you're only taking one at a time, though, and stick with the TESU 12-week classes, the most you could take in a year would be 4 courses...and even with lab kits & such, that would stay below your TA for the fiscal year. If you want to pack in more credit hours, you could take something from AMU or Excelsior, who offer some 8 week classes @ $250/credit hour, and that would get you done sooner. $4500 will get you six 3-credit classes per fiscal year (without lab fees - do kits come out of the $4500 allocation?).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 576 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU-----Transcripts??? midnite123 6 424 12-21-2023, 05:19 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  TESU---AA ??? midnite123 15 1,041 11-16-2023, 09:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia.org and TESU midnite123 5 1,078 02-20-2023, 04:52 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Completed BA at TESU, any free ways to earn another degree? Lightorb333 13 1,968 12-30-2022, 05:24 AM
  TESU Questions midnite123 18 1,304 12-12-2022, 02:52 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Financial aid for ACE credits ---> TESU? CourtneyBrooke 11 1,382 01-31-2022, 04:36 PM
  "My Valuable, Cheap College Degree" from Athur Brooks, TESU grad now Harvard Prof mahaganapati 10 2,780 12-24-2021, 08:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  English degrees besides TESU, UMPI? Ideas 1 873 12-13-2021, 10:00 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Modern States: Mention of TESU+WGU (DF member?) bjcheung77 2 952 10-28-2021, 05:28 PM
Last Post: GizmoJack