Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU cos-111 - introduction to programming equivalency?
Hey guys,

For fun I added the BA in CS to my evaluation, It seems I would basically missing 4 courses that I would need to take at TESU, mainly:

* data structure
* discrete math
* operating system
* computer architecture

But I was surprised to see that SL C++ class does not fit the introduction to programming requirement, any self-paced class would fit there? Maybe the new onlinedegree.com class would fit, but it's not opened to canadian..

thanks!
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----
[-] The following 1 user Likes posabsolute's post:
  • TacticalTechie
Intro to programming is plain old Computer Science 101. Saylor has it, and there are others. If you know Java, you could probably pass the Saylor exam with a few hours of looking over the material.

If you can find Data Structures and Discrete Math at your local CC, that's probably the cheapest way.

APU has Discrete Math for about half the cost of TESU: http://www.apu.apus.edu/academic/resourc...se/math210
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Interesting, I will try to get that planned,

If I do the cornerstone to get enrolled, I would be at 16 credits with TESU and would be able to waive the residency cost, that's why I still plan to do the other courses with TESU.
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
----
----
(07-20-2018, 09:04 AM)posabsolute Wrote: Hey guys,

For fun I added the BA in CS to my evaluation, It seems I would basically missing 4 courses that I would need to take at TESU, mainly:

* data structure
* discrete math
* operating system
* computer architecture

But I was surprised to see that SL C++ class does not fit the introduction to programming requirement, any self-paced class would fit there? Maybe the new onlinedegree.com class would fit, but it's not opened to canadian..

thanks!

A couple of questions:

1) why do you say that SL's C++ course doesn't fit in the Intro to Programming requirement?  I have always heard that it does

2) how are you adding a new degree to what you're doing?  Did you already graduate from TESU with the BSBA?  If so, you can't do another degree just by taking 4 courses.  If you're still getting the BSBA (or have finished all the requirements and are just waiting for the conferral of your degree), you can't add the BA in CS to your BSBA.

First Simultaneous Associate and Baccalaureate Degrees

• Students who desire to have two Thomas Edison State University baccalaureate degrees awarded in the same graduation cycle may do so providing 24 credits are different in the second degree's core/area of study.
Second Baccalaureate Degree
Students who have received one baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution and wish to earn a second baccalaureate degree must:
  • Complete a minimum of 24 credits. These credits must be in the area of study and/or core of the degree. These credits must be earned after the date the most recent degree, regardless of academic level, was conferred.
Two Areas of Study Within One Degree

Similar to declaring a double major, you are able to pursue a second area of study within your degree program. For example, you can complete a Bachelor of Arts in History and a Bachelor of Arts in English – you would only need to complete the Area of Study requirements as outlined in the program’s credit distribution guide – because your general education requirements would remain the same (as opposed to pursuing a second degree, where you would need to fulfill another set of general education requirements). No more than 9 credits that are used in the first area of study may be used for the second area of study. All related required credits for each area of study, as well as all degree requirements, must be met at the same time. To pursue this, all you have to do is contact your academic advisor, and it will be added to your degree plan.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • TacticalTechie
1. Student Advising told me it's not a direct equivalency, it needs to be COS-111 and C++ is COS-204, should I push back?

2. I already graduated, and yes I have other credits I need to do outside those 4, but I meet the 24 new credits.

Basically I'm also missing:
Calculus:
SL Calculus

AOS:
Saylor, Software Engineering
study.com, Computer Science 303: Database Management
study.com, Computer Science 302: Systems Analysis & Design
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
----
----
(07-20-2018, 11:37 AM)posabsolute Wrote: 1. Student Advising told me it's not a direct equivalency, it needs to be COS-111 and C++ is COS-204, should I push back?

Yes, there are multiple courses that will fit the requirement, it's not a specific course number, but must be a programming course.  I think you talked to someone who isn't familiar with how things work there.  Call back and talk to someone else.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Interesting, I have 2 programming course already from another transcript, but the advisor would not let me use those, OK will try someone else, 
Anyway, Saylor intro to computer science seems easier, I'm reviewing each section and I'm already hitting more than 70%.
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
----
----
@posabsolute, it is possible I have led you astray. That slot in the degree used to be COS-101 Intro to Computers, but is now described as Intro to Programming. Although the Saylor CS-101 course outline does track closely with TESU's COS-111. What does your academic eval say there exactly? The BACS is no longer available to do a what-if eval on the student portal. I now think you may need an actual programming course, but see what TESU advising says. TESU's is Java, but they should take others. I now also find it odd they didn't allow C++ to fill that slot.
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

A: Intro to Programming (Not started)
3 SH

No mention of the course fulfilling, the advisor told me that cos-111 would fulfill.

I also got introduction to computer and it's in the free elective section, so it seems this is a no go.
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
----
----
Hmmmm. The Saylor CS-101 course outline does track pretty close to the TESU COS-111 course description. I think you need to ask about that one.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 11 581 4 hours ago
Last Post: jch
  TESU Credit Transfer Evaluation colonelcamp 6 127 5 hours ago
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 20 2,566 04-23-2024, 02:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 615 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 536 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 275 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,329 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 252 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 402 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 308 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az