Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU extra DSST
hello, I took the technical writing dsst for a requirement when I plan on going to wgu but than decided that I wanted to go tesu instead. I have about 130 credits to transfer in and plan on taking a couple of classes at tesu to avoid the waiver. My problem is all are ace or clep transcripts. The dsst would be the third transcript and cost an extra $30 for just itself. I already have all the general education and the free electives fill out. Is there any reason to send the dsst to tesu or should I forget about it? I spent hundred dollars on the test and would hate for it to go to waste but at the same time why would I spend an extra $30 and put it on my tesu transcript only for it not to be used for anything. Is there something else at tesu that could benefit from the dsst like a certificate or maybe an associate degree? I do not plan on taking any other dsst so this one just seems to be well wasted. I thought about double majoring with my computer science degree to also include an English degree. I have passed all the English clep as well as the technical writing dsst. Is that a bad idea?
Idk. But double majoring in English you need 5 UL English courses I believe study.com only offers 9 credits worth (someone correct me if I'm wrong). So that means you have to do 6 credits at TESU or some other actual school for UL English. Also all the UL English on study.com being English all have multiple assignments.

Also if you a double major on your evaluation you need to have the majority of the AOS for BOTH majors before starting the capstone. At least this what TESU told me when I was a student there. So unless you worked fast it could screw up graduation. What would be better is if you waited until the last minute to add the double major. Like say you are already in the capstone and you've been doing English classes. Idk if it would work but I'm assuming they would let you add a 2nd aos last minute.

Nothing wrong with double majoring but just things to keep in mind.

Also tech writing isn't a part of any associates degree or certificate.
Do you already have your "info literacy" requirement met? If not, I show that the tech writing DSST could fill that gap.
> plan on taking a couple of classes at tesu to avoid the waiver.

wouldn't you have to take at least 5 ?

1) Information Literacy -- SOS-110: Critical Information Literacy -- 3 credits
2) LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone -- 3 credits
3) 3 more credits
4) 3 more credits
5) 4 more credits

16 credits total to avoid the waiver

if you can do 10 credits in one term then you can get the Full-Time Flat-Rate Tuition
$4,928
https://www.tesu.edu/tuition/flat-rate-tuition

you'd still have to do 6 credits at $509 for a total of $3054
https://www.tesu.edu/tuition/per-credit

$4,928 + $3054 = $7982

WGU is $3225 per six month term
if you think you can complete WGU in one year that's just $6450
https://www.wgu.edu/online-it-degrees/co...ience.html

that's $1532 less than TESU

why are you stressing over $30 when you're paying $1532 more by going to TESU instead of WGU
I would avoid taking TESU classes like the plague. I think I would rather walk 100 miles than take a TESU course. All they do is annoy you every single week for 3 months telling you to write things. Multiply that by several courses + having to take the Capstone/Cornerstone together and that would drive me nuts.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 3 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • bluebooger, cwendy111, rachel83az
(05-18-2020, 10:53 AM)LevelUP Wrote: I would avoid taking TESU classes like the plague.  I think I would rather walk 100 miles than take a TESU course.  All they do is annoy you every single week for 3 months telling you to write things.  Multiply that by several courses + having to take the Capstone/Cornerstone together and that would drive me nuts.

What courses have you taken with them?

I've heard the capstone is difficult but what about others?

I know multiple people say the cornerstone is easy and that makes sense considering it is an introductory level course.

I believe mysonx3 took a number of them for law school grades and said they weren't that bad. (but I don't want to put words in his mouth, I could be wrong). I think depends on the person.
(05-18-2020, 11:13 AM)natshar Wrote:
(05-18-2020, 10:53 AM)LevelUP Wrote: I would avoid taking TESU classes like the plague.  I think I would rather walk 100 miles than take a TESU course.  All they do is annoy you every single week for 3 months telling you to write things.  Multiply that by several courses + having to take the Capstone/Cornerstone together and that would drive me nuts.

I know multiple people say the cornerstone is easy and that makes sense considering it is an introductory level course.

I believe mysonx3 took a number of them for law school grades and said they weren't that bad. (but I don't want to put words in his mouth, I could be wrong). I think depends on the person.

I'm comparing taking a course from CLEP/Sophia whatever that usually takes less than 20 hours to complete.  You are done in one week or less. 

Taking a TESU course it drags on and on, never-ending annoying tasks to do with lots of deadlines which is similar to a brick and mortar school course.  No thanks.

I would be interested if anyone tracked the hours it took them to do different TESU courses.  I heard they are bad and more of them you do the worse it is.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • rachel83az
(05-18-2020, 11:49 AM)LevelUP Wrote:

I'm comparing taking a course from CLEP/Sophia whatever that usually takes less than 20 hours to complete.  You are done in one week or less. 

Taking a TESU course it drags on and on, never-ending annoying tasks to do with lots of deadlines which is similar to a brick and mortar school course.  No thanks.

I would be interested if anyone tracked the hours it took them to do different TESU courses.  I heard they are bad and more of them you do the worse it is.

I see that does make sense. But I'm still curious which ones you did? or did you do any?

I believe OP wanted to do 16 credits TESU because with the Pell Grant and Flat Rate it would save them over a thousand dollars. And to them, having to do extra work for a few months is worth over a thousand dollar savings and saves the hassle of finding one more UL for the AOS.

As far as TESU course difficulty, I can't speak for that. The only course I did at TESU was the defunct TES-100 and that took less than hour to complete.
(05-18-2020, 12:06 PM)natshar Wrote:

I see that does make sense. But I'm still curious which ones you did? or did you do any?

I believe OP wanted to do 16 credits TESU because with the Pell Grant and Flat Rate it would save them over a thousand dollars. And to them, having to do extra work for a few months is worth over a thousand dollar savings and saves the hassle of finding one more UL for the AOS.

As far as TESU course difficulty, I can't speak for that. The only course I did at TESU was the defunct TES-100 and that took less than hour to complete.

I didn't do any TESU courses so I'm making an assumption based on feedback from various college review sites.

Through this process, I learned that saving a few bucks isn't worth wasting a bunch of time. 

I'll track the time it takes for me to do the capstone/cornerstone which I plan to start June/July.  I hope I don't spend more time on them then doing all the credits for my entire degree, that would suck.
(05-18-2020, 12:13 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(05-18-2020, 12:06 PM)natshar Wrote:
(05-18-2020, 10:53 AM)LevelUP Wrote: I would avoid tak

ing TESU classes like the plague.  I think I would rather walk 100 miles than take a TESU course.  All they do is annoy you every single week for 3 months telling you to write things.  Multiply that by several courses + having to take the Capstone/Cornerstone together and that would drive me nuts.

I didn't do any TESU courses so I'm making an assumption based on feedback from various college review sites.

Through this process, I learned that saving a few bucks isn't worth wasting a bunch of time. 

I'll track the time it takes for me to do the capstone/cornerstone which I plan to start June/July.  I hope I don't spend more time on them then doing all the credits for my entire degree, that would suck.

Don't forget you have to do 2 capstones. So you are already at 9 credits and 2 terms. Idk where you will get the last UL for Finance it is hard to find.

I guess everyone on this forum is different. Some value time more and some value money more. I think during this time period, for a lot of people money would be more valuable than time, because we have nothing but time now. And with being unemployed there might be little to no money coming in. And I don't think over $1000 is a few bucks.

But I have seen this debate in different ways on this forum before. The old time vs money debate or more work vs more money. Everyone has different opinions on it and that is perfectly ok.

EDIT: Also if you get aid and assuming you don't want to take the capstones together. TESU requires 6 credits a term. So if you did that you would be at 12 credits. So at that point, you would be close, so at least it would make sense to consider bumping up to 16. If you were at 12 credits and then did 16 credits, you would probably save at least $1300 or more. Not telling you what to do but just something to consider if you get financial aid and/or can't find a good way to get the last UL finance course. And if you do the two capstones separate and don't overlap you are looking at 2021 graduation. So if you want 2020 grad you have to take two capstones at once or overlap them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 16 2,341 Yesterday, 11:51 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 528 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 455 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 479 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 260 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,233 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 233 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 376 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 300 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 278 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27