Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU financial aid refund?
I need to take 9 credits through TESU, but only 6 of those credits will be covered under financial aid. I emailed the financial aid department and they told me:  Once we award you and you accept your award, you can register for 6 credits of online or guided study classes without payment.  Generally, your eligibility for funding will exceed the cost of 6 credits.  You would receive a refund check for the credit balance in your account approximately 35 days after the start of the term.  You could then use the refund to pay for your 3 credit course in the next available term.

Has anyone had success with actually getting the refund from TESU? I guess it varies from person to person, depending on how much aid you got, but I was curious as to how many of you this actually happened to. That would be great if I could get a refund, as then I could take the dreaded Capstone by itself and not have to worry about juggling two courses at once.
(03-12-2019, 02:53 PM)studyandpass5 Wrote: I need to take 9 credits through TESU, but only 6 of those credits will be covered under financial aid. I emailed the financial aid department and they told me:  Once we award you and you accept your award, you can register for 6 credits of online or guided study classes without payment.  Generally, your eligibility for funding will exceed the cost of 6 credits.  You would receive a refund check for the credit balance in your account approximately 35 days after the start of the term.  You could then use the refund to pay for your 3 credit course in the next available term.

Has anyone had success with actually getting the refund from TESU? I guess it varies from person to person, depending on how much aid you got, but I was curious as to how many of you this actually happened to. That would be great if I could get a refund, as then I could take the dreaded Capstone by itself and not have to worry about juggling two courses at once.

Yes for sure. That's how MANY (most?) students support themselves in college. They take a student loan to cover living expenses. I rec'd an overage as well though it was from a grant not a loan- but you'll get it back as soon as its processed.
I am going to have an overage this term (I took a small federal loan) and I'm wondering how it will be disbursed. At my previous school it was direct deposited, but TESU hasn't asked for bank account info. Will they send a check?
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(03-12-2019, 06:04 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: I am going to have an overage this term (I took a small federal loan) and I'm wondering how it will be disbursed. At my previous school it was direct deposited, but TESU hasn't asked for bank account info. Will they send a check?

Turns out the answer to this is that they will mail a check approximately 35 days after the start of the term.
Completed:

Up Next:

(03-13-2019, 12:22 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 06:04 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: I am going to have an overage this term (I took a small federal loan) and I'm wondering how it will be disbursed. At my previous school it was direct deposited, but TESU hasn't asked for bank account info. Will they send a check?

Turns out the answer to this is that they will mail a check approximately 35 days after the start of the term.

Yes I remember getting a check. I'd have to look back and see if I wrote down my numbers, but at the time I did it (2007) I rec'd a full Pell and took out the subsidized student loan which was something like $5000. Of the loan, TESU needed a small amount of it (maybe less than $1000?) and the rest came back to me in a check that I deposited into a savings account. Since I was finishing my UL credit (not starting the process) I added to that savings account every chance I got. On the day I got a bill, I paid my loan in full - but the money was mine if I'd have needed it, I could have used it. If I were starting, I would have used the refunded money to fund my CLEP/DSST/ACE credits.
The way I did it, the math worked perfectly- it might be a different scenario now with tuition being more expensive. It might actually put someone in debt to use the Pell.
(03-13-2019, 06:54 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(03-13-2019, 12:22 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:

Yes I remember getting a check. I'd have to look back and see if I wrote down my numbers, but at the time I did it (2007) I rec'd a full Pell and took out the subsidized student loan which was something like $5000. Of the loan, TESU needed a small amount of it (maybe less than $1000?) and the rest came back to me in a check that I deposited into a savings account. Since I was finishing my UL credit (not starting the process) I added to that savings account every chance I got. On the day I got a bill, I paid my loan in full - but the money was mine if I'd have needed it, I could have used it. If I were starting, I would have used the refunded money to fund my CLEP/DSST/ACE credits.
The way I did it, the math worked perfectly- it might be a different scenario now with tuition being more expensive. It might actually put someone in debt to use the Pell.

I qualify for the full Pell grant and it's not enough to cover 6 credits per term at TESU, unfortunately (though it obviously makes the tuition much more manageable).
Completed:

Up Next:

I have done this with TESU and they mail me checks. They have never failed me yet.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
Thanks for all the helpful answers everyone!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 522 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 451 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 475 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 15 2,297 04-04-2024, 08:08 AM
Last Post: Kones
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 258 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,228 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 232 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 375 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 300 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 278 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27