Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
TESU no longer accepts courses based on ACE/NCCRS recommendation alone
Sorry that sucks!

There have been some questionable sources approved on ACE (some that have been removed, like Shmoop *maybe*, I haven't done my research on that), I wonder if this might be why TESU is being less trusting of any newer providers
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nixi's post:
  • alab21
The Big 3 seem to like copying off each other. TESU takes FEMA, so COSC takes FEMA. TESU stops taking FEMA, so COSC limits FEMA credits to three. COSC and Excelsior require capstones, so TESU requires capstones. COSC requires cornerstones, so TESU and Excelsior require cornerstones.

I think the new president has a different vision for TESU. They seem to be focusing on graduate programs and developing new programs that won't require transfer credits. TESU's existence has been threatened for almost 10 years because it usually loses money. Get your degree now because it might say Rutgers in a few years. LOL
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • alab21, AwardTour
For TESU, the thing that doesn't make any sense is that we are 100% good for the school - we come in, take 2 courses, pay the residency waiver fee, and leave with a degree. They get money from us, and we boost their good graduation rate. Sure, we're not paying a gazillion dollars for more courses - but we also aren't dropping out! There is no downside.

And, if they try to force us to take MORE courses, making the degree more expensive, we will just switch to another school. So there is literally no way they can hold any sway over us.

I just do not get their whole model.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • saraholson
(10-03-2019, 12:00 PM)sanantone Wrote: The Big 3 seem to like copying off each other. TESU takes FEMA, so COSC takes FEMA. TESU stops taking FEMA, so COSC limits FEMA credits to three. COSC and Excelsior require capstones, so TESU requires capstones. COSC requires cornerstones, so TESU and Excelsior require cornerstones.

I think the new president has a different vision for TESU. They seem to be focusing on graduate programs and developing new programs that won't require transfer credits. TESU's existence has been threatened for almost 10 years because it usually loses money. Get your degree now because it might say Rutgers in a few years. LOL

Interesting, can I ask your opinion on what you honestly might think be the true fate of TESU in the next 5 to 10 years? I would not mind having my degree *upgraded* by a Rutgers potential buyout/acquisition. All joking aside, I am sure there are downside possibilities also. 

I want to teach English internationally at some point. I don't want to explain to a Japanese employer that my degree is still valid but the institution no longer exists. It would not go over well.
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)
(10-03-2019, 12:48 PM)dfrecore Wrote: For TESU, the thing that doesn't make any sense is that we are 100% good for the school - we come in, take 2 courses, pay the residency waiver fee, and leave with a degree.  They get money from us, and we boost their good graduation rate.  Sure, we're not paying a gazillion dollars for more courses - but we also aren't dropping out!  There is no downside.

And, if they try to force us to take MORE courses, making the degree more expensive, we will just switch to another school.  So there is literally no way they can hold any sway over us.

I just do not get their whole model.

True. We don't use up instructor resources. Currently, students only have to take two classes. The more credits students transfer in, the fewer sections of classes they need to offer.

(10-03-2019, 01:05 PM)AwardTour Wrote:
(10-03-2019, 12:00 PM)sanantone Wrote: The Big 3 seem to like copying off each other. TESU takes FEMA, so COSC takes FEMA. TESU stops taking FEMA, so COSC limits FEMA credits to three. COSC and Excelsior require capstones, so TESU requires capstones. COSC requires cornerstones, so TESU and Excelsior require cornerstones.

Interesting, can I ask your opinion on what you honestly might think be the true fate of TESU in the next 5 to 10 years? I would not mind having my degree *upgraded* by a Rutgers potential buyout/acquisition. All joking aside, I am sure there are downside possibilities also. 

I want to teach English internationally at some point. I don't want to explain to a Japanese employer that my degree is still valid but the institution no longer exists. It would not go over well.

Chris Christie considered merging TESU with Rutgers because of state budget issues. However, TESU students protested (by writing). Since these are both NJ public schools, there wouldn't be a buyout.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • AwardTour
TESU stopped taking Shmoop, who are ACE approved, months ago. This isn't anything new.

WGU doesn't take everything ACE takes either, just fyi.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Shmoop was a unique situation, but the new president has been around for a while. She took over March 2018.

WGU might accept everything, but it doesn't mean that all your credits will apply to the program of study. WGU's degree requirements aren't as flexible. I still haven't heard an answer on whether WGU accepts NCCRS credits.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
doesn't seem like Shmoop was that unique if the same thing is happening here. TESU obviously doesn't want to allow ACE credits without reviewing the source. They don't even take Study.com credits from ACE, you have to send them a Study.com transcript directly.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

They have a partnership with SDC, so that's why they want their transcript. Plus, SDC has dual recognition with NCCRS. NCCRS does not issue transcripts. SDC tried to get around that with the Excelsior credit bank transcripts, but TESU never accepts credits from third party, school transcripts.

TESU stopped accepting Shmoop when someone completed an unusual number of credits within a short period of time.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Yes I know, I was here when it got blacklisted

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 698 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  UC Berkeley Extension courses can transfer ItsNeverTheLionsYear 2 226 03-18-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Zero Textbook Cost (ZTC) Courses LevelUP 6 362 03-18-2024, 09:40 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 261 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,158 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP