Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
TESU no longer accepts courses based on ACE/NCCRS recommendation alone
Sure we can blame that guy, but he is just a cheater (and this seems to become pandemic).

I didn't know Shmoop had no proctoring, and with the issues Aleks got with ACE, I never thought this would have been allowed by ACE. There are many ways TESU could have work this issue, it kind of chose the worse one for students by not even allowing new partners unless they have a relation with them.

Even with Shmoop having proctoring now, they are still aren't allowed as far as I know. Personally I don't think it's their fault, ACE accredited the course, and they added proctoring as fast as they could.
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----
(10-08-2019, 10:47 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: If you guys want to blame someone, blame the person who did 30 Shmoop tests in a month, or whatever it was, and made it obvious that this format was just being abused. The lack of proctoring was always going to be an issue sooner or later, and we all knew it.

It's not a coincidence that Study.com recently limited their tests to 5 a month either. You can read between the lines on this stuff and see what the problem is.

30?  Good lord.  That’s just insane.
TESU September 2020 Graduate
Bachelor of Arts  in Liberal Studies with a concentration in Social Sciences

Sophia (3); Institutes (3); TEEX (21); CSM (3); CLEP (12); SL (45); InstantCert (6)Study (21) TESU (6)
He or she could have been unemployed.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(10-08-2019, 11:47 AM)posabsolute Wrote: ... Even with Shmoop having proctoring now, they are still aren't allowed as far as I know. Personally I don't think it's their fault, ACE accredited the course, and they added proctoring as fast as they could.

I always thought it odd that Shmoop didn't patch things up with TESU. I assume Shmoop either failed to engage with TESU properly or refused to do some change that TESU asked for. The whole "optional proctoring" thing is really weird, too, since it doesn't seem like any of the schools make the distinction.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(10-08-2019, 12:28 PM)sanantone Wrote: He or she could have been unemployed.
Yeah, it's incredibly fast, but I think I could've pulled off 30 Study.com courses in a month (before the restriction) if I had no other obligations and they didn't have assignments. Not sure how Shmoop compares though
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
It would be pretty damn hard to finish 30 shmoop courses, as anyone who's taken a Shmoop course knows their material is challenging...I think one every 2 days is possible...so about 15-17 max..and with the 'special' material Shmoop provides for learning it would make even that amount harder.

Shmoop is the most difficult course provider I have used to date...its a shame schools dont accept them..study.com felt like childs play conpared to shmoop...
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

[-] The following 1 user Likes armstrongsubero's post:
  • mysonx3
I think 30 was probably an exaggeration, but the rumor was that it was enough to rouse concern from TESU. And given how challenging I've heard many say Shmoop courses actually are, I personally question this rumor, because it doesn't sound like cheating would be easy. Though I suppose if there was a will, anyone can find a way lol Some of the ridiculous proctoring requirements such as having to own and keep a cell phone is view of a proctor are proof of that.

It could of just as easily been a student who slogged through everything first and opted to takes exams only once they were confident they could pass, since you only get 2 max attempts at their final exams. A good example of this would be a homeschooled student who used Shmoop as their curriculum provider. You can't access the final exams but most of the college courses are available as HS options. And there is probably very little difference between the HS or College Credit eligible versions.

That said, many here come from all sorts of educational backgrounds.  A very well read individual for example, could probably work through a ton of literature courses (of which Shmoop has many) and the related quizzes and an exam (to prove competency) very quickly if they came to the table with pre-existing knowledge. I've never used Shmoop, but if I recall correctly you do not need to watch X portion of videos ect, but rather you could go right to the quizzes/exam. That is the case for many providers of these alternative credit options. This is not very different than when someone goes cold into CLEP testing. If they already have acquired the knowledge, taking an exam may be ALL they need to do in order to demonstrate it.

Even with SDC's 100+ quizzes for courses, an exam and needing to turn in assignments for some as well, the newer 5 exam limitation can quite literally be limiting to those who could work through at a faster pace. You could spend an entire year homeschooling a child using some of these curriculum providers at a reduced cost. And if and when that child were to decide, hey I would like to earn college credit for it, a parent may decide to foot that bill over a student loan. And in that situation there is no reason an individual could not simply take the multiple final exams necessary to meet their goal saving both time and money. They certainly would not need to spend a couple of weeks reviewing what they could of just spent an entire school year learning. 

BAin4Weeks is another perfect example that no one needs to cheat necessarily to accomplish amazing goals in a short period of time.

And of course as Sanatone suggests, if you can focus 100% on education and don't have other obligations (such as a job), then I'm not sure the only logical conclusion is that someone had to of "cheated", but rather what they accomplished was unique and therefore became suspicious. The lack of required proctoring at the time, most likely enhanced that suspicion. 

Shmoop appeared to have recognized the perhaps legitimate issue that not having a proctor caused and added it as a requirement initially. When TESU still refused to accept their courses with or without proctoring, and Shmoop had to deal with the many students who had paid for an 88/month plan that was supposed to allow for college credit without paying additional money to a proctor, maybe Shmoop decided the best option was to try to find middle ground. This seems to of lead to optional proctoring. If I had to guess I would think most are probably foregoing proctoring to save money, not to cheat. Optional proctoring may of been put in place, because ACE did not require it and students didn't want to have to pay it, unless their school required them to. Again, just a guess. 

The sad truth is that, if every course provider had to jump through hoops to meet the demands and scrutiny of individual schools instead of expecting schools to at least place some trust into ACE/NCCRS to properly evaluate the provider course (proctored or not), I am not sure we would have as many options as we do today. The reasons behind why TESU is or is not accepting courses regardless of proctoring requirements is really anyone's guess. Just the same as whether anyone truly did cheat to earn credits is. And if a student did cheat, ban the student, not the provider. To me that would be logical. But no matter the reasoning, it is a shame to see the recent changes and understandably frustrating.
(10-08-2019, 02:13 PM)shadowgem Wrote: Shmoop appeared to have recognized the perhaps legitimate issue that not having a proctor caused and added it as a requirement initially. When TESU still refused to accept their courses with or without proctoring, and Shmoop had to deal with the many students who had paid for an 88/month plan that was supposed to allow for college credit without paying additional money to a proctor, maybe Shmoop decided the best option was to try to find middle ground. This seems to of lead to optional proctoring. If I had to guess I would think most are probably foregoing proctoring to save money, not to cheat. Optional proctoring may of been put in place, because ACE did not require it and students didn't want to have to pay it, unless their school required them to. Again, just a guess. 

When you send Shmoop courses over on an ACE transcript, there is no way to know if proctoring was used or not.  So I'm not sure how someone is supposed to prove to a school if the proctoring took place.  Sure, I guess you could send something (an email maybe?).  But that's not very official, and the schools want something from ACE, not some random email or screenshot from Shmoop.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(10-08-2019, 02:55 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(10-08-2019, 02:13 PM)shadowgem Wrote: Shmoop appeared to have recognized the perhaps legitimate issue that not having a proctor caused and added it as a requirement initially. When TESU still refused to accept their courses with or without proctoring, and Shmoop had to deal with the many students who had paid for an 88/month plan that was supposed to allow for college credit without paying additional money to a proctor, maybe Shmoop decided the best option was to try to find middle ground. This seems to of lead to optional proctoring. If I had to guess I would think most are probably foregoing proctoring to save money, not to cheat. Optional proctoring may of been put in place, because ACE did not require it and students didn't want to have to pay it, unless their school required them to. Again, just a guess. 

When you send Shmoop courses over on an ACE transcript, there is no way to know if proctoring was used or not.  So I'm not sure how someone is supposed to prove to a school if the proctoring took place.  Sure, I guess you could send something (an email maybe?).  But that's not very official, and the schools want something from ACE, not some random email or screenshot from Shmoop.

Ah I see, interesting. Having zero personal experience with transferring a Shmoop course, I was thinking that it would appear on ACE as proctor verified or not. It's a bit confusing to me, but it seems like ACE does not require Shmoop courses to be proctored in order to be eligible for credit. I wonder if and when the courses are renewed/reevaluated by ACE if that will change or make any difference if it was changed. 

Still on the ACE recommendation page for each course it states,
Quote:"All Shmoop ACE CREDIT recommended courses offer proctoring options for final exams. If you have questions about Shmoop proctoring, or need to verify proctoring, please contact support@shmoop.com"
which seems to imply ACE is directing inquiries back to the source of credit for proctoring verification which would seem official. Doesn't ACE also verify directly with the source of credit prior to adding it to a student transcript? Why would ACE consider the source for credit verification as official and a school would not? Or is it just the school does not want to have to take that extra verification step?
At the time of the infraction proctoring was not an option. Its only afterward then Shmoop gave the procotoring option.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 11 565 1 hour ago
Last Post: jch
  TESU Credit Transfer Evaluation colonelcamp 6 125 2 hours ago
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 20 2,566 Yesterday, 02:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 613 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 534 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 273 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,326 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 251 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 402 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  UC Berkeley Extension courses can transfer ItsNeverTheLionsYear 2 314 03-18-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: davewill