Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
TESU portfolio tips
Regarding the cost: the per credit cost is very reasonable, but I don't like how the pricing is structured:

Quote:The fee is $379 for the first 12 credits reviewed (it is not a per-credit fee—it covers up to 12 credits), and then $215 for each additional 6 credits reviewed.

Reference: PLA and Portfolio Help

Assuming courses submitted are three credits each...

For maximum value, submit four courses at first. This yields a per-course cost of $94.75. Then if you submit two courses, the per-course cost is $107.50 . I'll probably be submitting three, but it's still a good value at $126.33 per course.
BSBA/Accounting TESU (2016). MSA UIUC (2018).

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.
I am strongly leaning towards doing PLA portfolios for my last 18 credits of Social Sciences/residency requirement (which I think can be done while I am also working on the Capstone at my local CC if I decide to go that route). I emailed back & forth with the PLA advisor at TESU, and he seemed to think based upon my resume (which included skill sets put into practice with homeschool teaching and multiple longterm volunteer experiences over the last 20+ yrs) that I am a good candidate for PLA credit -- and then I won't have to worry about trying to decide on any more TECEPs.

FYI, it sounds like TESU is tightening their PLA requirements, thus making it extremely difficult for teen/traditional age students to qualify unless they are VERY strong in a subject and able to prove how and why they learned it, plus how they have put it into practice.
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
Mamasaphire Wrote:... FYI, it sounds like TESU is tightening their PLA requirements, thus making it extremely difficult for teen/traditional age students to qualify unless they are VERY strong in a subject and able to prove how and why they learned it, plus how they have put it into practice.
It would be much harder for someone who merely studied a subject to write a successful portfolio. They would have to go into much more detail on everything. One example portfolio from the book was trying to get credit for a theater production the person had participated in. The narrative was quite involved because she had to tie all of the learning objectives into the one experience.

I was able to simply describe various projects I had designed, spending a little time explaining my process and what solutions I considered and why I made the choices I did and how they worked out. My validation letters were chosen so that they could specifically address the same projects I used in my narrative.

If a test is available, I think it's the easier way to go usually. For instance, I did intro to programming at Saylor simply because it was absurdly cheap and only took an couple of hours of my time to get my testing journey started. However, I also could have just waited and used the same portfolio i used for the programming courses on it.

I also could have banged out the portfolio faster. Like tesu-acct-student, I had to struggle with not knowing how much was enough and procrastinated and fiddled with it longer than I should have.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
tesu-acct-student Wrote:These were done prior to TESU implementing their requirement for PLA100/200, which they made me do even though I had successfully submitted two portfolios. I developed the checklist AFTER those experiences, not during or before.

Just a quick word on this--it's unfortunate that someone told you that you needed to take PLA-100 and PLA-200 if you had already completed portfolios here. PLA-100 was certainly not necessary, as it introduces the concept of prior learning assessment and helps you figure out how to determine whether you have any prior learning that would be college-equivalent, and then which method is the best for you. PLA-200 is really the structure through which you create your portfolios, however many you are doing--it is helpful in making sure that you document everything, that you maximize the number of courses you can get credit for (we want you to use the process, or else why do I have a job?), that you know what learning outcomes are and how to address them effectively--and so we recommend that you take it, but on the other hand, if you have already done this successfully, it's not required.

I'm glad to see the other positive comments about the portfolio process here. Let us know how we can make it better.

Marc Singer, Vice Provost
Center for the Assessment of Learning
Thomas Edison State University
You can replace PLA-100 and PLA-200 with the free Kaplan course.

Edit: Nevermind, posted before I saw MSinger Tesc's comment.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
tesu-acct-student Wrote:Regarding the cost: the per credit cost is very reasonable, but I don't like how the pricing is structured:

Reference: PLA and Portfolio Help

Assuming courses submitted are three credits each...

For maximum value, submit four courses at first. This yields a per-course cost of $94.75. Then if you submit two courses, the per-course cost is $107.50 . I'll probably be submitting three, but it's still a good value at $126.33 per course.

Hi,

I am confused on the cost of this PLA. Do you pay 379 for 12 credits to be reviewed plus 520 per credit? Or do you only have to pay the 379 fee?
mccatm Wrote:Hi,

I am confused on the cost of this PLA. Do you pay 379 for 12 credits to be reviewed plus 520 per credit? Or do you only have to pay the 379 fee?

It's a bit confusing so I might not understand it correctly. For me, I know that I only have to pay the $379 fee for 12 credits, but that's probably because I've taken PLA100/200. I am not certain if that price applies to somebody who has not completed PLA100/200. Go to this link and scroll down the area where it says, "What Does it Cost?" Look for the chart and the diagram:

PLA-100 and PLA-200
BSBA/Accounting TESU (2016). MSA UIUC (2018).

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.
mccatm Wrote:Hi,

Portfolio assessments are charged at a flat rate because they are not courses. Only online, guided study, and e-Pack courses are charged by credit hour. Also, TESU only charges $520 per credit hour if you are under the Per Credit Tuition Plan.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:Portfolio assessments are charged at a flat rate because they are not courses. Only online, guided study, and e-Pack courses are charged by credit hour. Also, TESU only charges $520 per credit hour if you are under the Per Credit Tuition Plan.

Thank you for the information. So if I want to do the portfolio assesment for 12 hours and I am out of state. The TOTAL cost will be 379? Are there any other fees involved to obtain 12 credits? If so, this might be a good option for me for accounting courses. I have been in the accounting industry for 15 years and have used/applied lots of course work in my roles.
mccatm Wrote:Thank you for the information. So if I want to do the portfolio assesment for 12 hours and I am out of state. The TOTAL cost will be 379? Are there any other fees involved to obtain 12 credits? If so, this might be a good option for me for accounting courses. I have been in the accounting industry for 15 years and have used/applied lots of course work in my roles.

Remember you have to take the PLA100/200 classes, which costs >$1500 in the per-credit plan, out of state, so it's more like $1850 for 15 credits. Still quite a bargain.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,923 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,021 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,580 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,668 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,291 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,282 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,320 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore