Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
TESU portfolio tips
davewill Wrote:Remember you have to take the PLA100/200 classes, which costs >$1500 in the per-credit plan, out of state, so it's more like $1850 for 15 credits. Still quite a bargain.

Or take the free version with Kaplan
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
jsd Wrote:Or take the free version with Kaplan
I couldn't have done it without the class. A lot of people on here talk about flying through the Kaplan course. I needed to do all the assignments and needed the mentor's feedback. By the time I was done with the courses, I had my portfolio more than halfway done. Do you have graded assignments with Kaplan?

You could probably get away with taking the Kaplan course then just taking PLA-200 at TESU. PLA-100 is pretty generic, and self study could be sufficient. It's not until 200 that you start writing your portfolio.

The trick is the uncertainty. Having the mentor feedback helps you know that you're on the right track.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I think I am going to do the PLA course with Kaplan, then do the PLA assessment with TESC for 379. Can these 12 PLA assessment credits count towards the "new" 24 credits I need for a second Bachelors at TESC?

Can you appeal or revise work if all 12 credits are not aware after the portfolio assessment is complete?

And does the residency requirements for me get voided since I have my first Bachelors from a brick and mortar university?
davewill Wrote:I couldn't have done it without the class. A lot of people on here talk about flying through the Kaplan course. I needed to do all the assignments and needed the mentor's feedback. By the time I was done with the courses, I had my portfolio more than halfway done. Do you have graded assignments with Kaplan?

You could probably get away with taking the Kaplan course then just taking PLA-200 at TESU. PLA-100 is pretty generic, and self study could be sufficient. It's not until 200 that you start writing your portfolio.

The trick is the uncertainty. Having the mentor feedback helps you know that you're on the right track.

There's no graded assignments, but if you actually do the course without just "flying through, " it does in fact prepare you. This would especially have been useful for some one like the OP, who has submitted PLAs before, but was led to believe he still had to take the PLA courses
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
jsd Wrote:... This would especially have been useful for some one like the OP, who has submitted PLAs before, but was led to believe he still had to take the PLA courses

I wish I had found this forum a long time ago. banghead
BSBA/Accounting TESU (2016). MSA UIUC (2018).

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.
Has this been confirmed with TESC that the Kaplan PLA course will satisfy the TESC PLA 100 & 200 course?

Any specific advisor I should speak to if I start receiving a hard time transferring the Kaplan course to TESC?
It's been confirmed by Marc Singer who has posted on this forum. You will still want to look at TESU's portfolio requirements because they're different. The materials for PLA 100 and 200 are openly available on the Saylor website.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Portfolio tip: including free MOOCs in the portfolio

I just wanted to briefly discuss the idea of including free MOOCs as evidence in a portfolio. I think it is a really good idea for a couple reasons.

1. The obvious reason: you can say you did the MOOC. If there is a certificate and you want it for some other reason, that's fine. But I am not convinced that you have to spend money on the cert if it's just for the portfolio.
2. The not-obvious reason: if you do the MOOC before writing your narrative, the MOOC may help you organize your thinking and give you lots of vocabulary to use in the narrative. For example, right now I am taking the Coursera MOOC called, "Forensic Accounting and Fraud Examination." It is astonishing how many of these concepts I will be able to include in the narrative based on my actual experience. The MOOC is giving me the vocabulary and concepts to "hang" my experiences on. I hope that makes sense. I'm writing down certain relevant experiences with my clients as I watch the videos (which are really good, BTW!). I'm so happy that I'm doing this MOOC. It is going to make writing the narrative super easy.

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.
rebel100 Wrote:I have to say you're challenging my previous (very negative) thoughts on PLA Credit...

Would you mind sharing why you thought negatively about PLA credit?

tesu-acct-student Wrote:...
2. The not-obvious reason: if you do the MOOC before writing your narrative, the MOOC may help you organize your thinking and give you lots of vocabulary to use in the narrative. For example, right now I am taking the Coursera MOOC called, "Forensic Accounting and Fraud Examination." It is astonishing how many of these concepts I will be able to include in the narrative based on my actual experience. The MOOC is giving me the vocabulary and concepts to "hang" my experiences on. I hope that makes sense. I'm writing down certain relevant experiences with my clients as I watch the videos (which are really good, BTW!). I'm so happy that I'm doing this MOOC. It is going to make writing the narrative super easy.
Yes, that's definitely part of the key. Everything has to relate back to the learning objectives for the course you're challenging and using compatible vocabulary helps a lot. You might find it useful to look up the course in the TESU course database so you can tick objectives off and note any differences between them and what you're studying as you work through the MOOC.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,982 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,662 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,109 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,646 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,734 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,348 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,596 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,326 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,379 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,861 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore