Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taking Chemistry and AP I together
When it comes to science classes would it be wise to take Introduction to Chemistry and A&P I together?
Are you talking about taking them together as a full-time b&m college student, high school student, distance learner, or as alternative credits?

I'm sure many full time students that plan to major in science do take them together. So it's not unheard of.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(12-08-2018, 06:48 PM)2L8 Wrote: When it comes to science classes would it be wise to take Introduction to Chemistry and A&P I together?

You didn't say if they had labs, but that's a factor. Labs for these two (depending on the school) can carry as much work as a stand-alone course. It sounds like you're headed into nursing (neither would be the right class if you're going to be a science or premed major)

A&P 1 is considered a "weed out" class - that's the class that keeps people from gaining admissions to competitive nursing programs. They call it that because people fail that class all day long. That's not the issue, the issue is that people who want an A will have to work very, very hard for it. (your nursing program may not require an A, especially if you don't have wait lists) I can point you to 2 close friends who RETOOK A&P when they earned a B because it wouldn't be high enough to get into the nursing program. It might be "allowed" but wouldn't cut it.

If you're taking it on campus with lab, you may want to at the very minimum limit your load to chem and A&P. I found chemistry hard because of the math, but that's probably not the average person's experience who is decent at math. A&P will have chemistry IN it (physiology relies heavily on chemistry) so if I were writing a perfect plan, I would have taken intro to biology and intro to chemistry in the same semester, followed by A&P 1, followed by A&P 2. (3 semesters) If you need Microbiology and Genetics, at a 4th semester.

EDIT to add: I took A&P 1 and 2 as a distance learner- I had open book quizzes and final exam was open book. I squeaked out an A by the skin of my teeth - on campus, I'd have to have been a three-peat student if I wanted an A.

There are some really great youtube videos on how to study for A&P.
I took Physiology, Biochemistry. and Histology all at the same time along with Sociology I believe. It is difficult but I was a full-time college student with a part-time job.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
(12-09-2018, 10:31 AM)ThatBankDude Wrote: I took Physiology, Biochemistry. and Histology all at the same time along with Sociology I believe. It is difficult but I was a full-time college student with a part-time job.

None of those are intros, and those are all based on existing knowledge. If you took biochemistry, you already passed general chemistry for science majors, organic chemistry AND at least 1 semester of general biology for science majors- no small thing, and a FAR cry from intro to chem. You also earned a degree in biology, which at the very minimum shows interest and aptitude for science.

I get it- you love lab science and are good at it.

What the OP asks is if it's wise for a non-science major to take TWO sciences with labs in the same semester. I don't think it's wise, I think it's possible, but if the risk is high (needs an A) I wouldn't do it because there is too much on the line.
(12-08-2018, 07:13 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Are you talking about taking them together as a full-time b&m college student, high school student, distance learner, or as alternative credits?

I'm sure many full time students that plan to major in science do take them together. So it's not unheard of.

In my CC , All sciences are at the school , no exceptions. I plan on taking them as a full time student. Right now I'm just getting a degree in general studies but trying to get some classes/credit to go toward my BSN @ my 4 year school.
(12-09-2018, 12:26 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(12-09-2018, 10:31 AM)ThatBankDude Wrote: I took Physiology, Biochemistry. and Histology all at the same time along with Sociology I believe. It is difficult but I was a full-time college student with a part-time job.

None of those are intros, and those are all based on existing knowledge. If you took biochemistry, you already passed general chemistry for science majors, organic chemistry AND at least 1 semester of general biology for science majors- no small thing, and a FAR cry from intro to chem. You also earned a degree in biology, which at the very minimum shows interest and aptitude for science.

I get it- you love lab science and are good at it.

What the OP asks is if it's wise for a non-science major to take TWO sciences with labs in the same semester. I don't think it's wise, I think it's possible, but if the risk is high (needs an A) I wouldn't do it because there is too much on the line.

In that case, I think it boils down to ones interest, like you stated, and their drive. I certainly knew non-science majors who took STEM courses in the same semester and did perfectly fine. I think that there are individuals who have an aptitude for multiple topics and if the OP is one of those people, they should not be intimidated by the courses. This is all my opinion though and they will definitely have to decided what they feel they can take on.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
I just helped a student plan their semester, and we chose her lab science first, and once she did that, it really narrowed down how many courses she could fit in around it. I think it was 7 hours a week, so a lot of time between class 2x a week and the lab.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chemistry Course YehudisS 16 1,430 10-01-2022, 07:24 PM
Last Post: YehudisS
  What have others used to write the Spanish letters/characters while taking ACTFL? Insert Name 3 611 06-16-2022, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  An Investigation Finds That Millions of Students Are Taking on Dangerous BNPL Debt LevelUP 4 807 03-07-2022, 07:14 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Has anyone taken TEL Chemistry 1 + Lab? DIGI-212 3 725 10-25-2021, 11:24 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Organic Chemistry class indigoshuffle 3 1,191 03-15-2021, 12:52 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  For parents of teens taking college level courses. Lacedonia4 15 2,292 10-15-2020, 11:26 PM
Last Post: BrianFallon
  chemistry I and Physics I with LAB SL bingo1 14 2,240 09-10-2020, 10:20 AM
Last Post: CableGuy98
  Colleges that will allow taking just one course Giantzebra 22 3,181 05-08-2020, 04:31 PM
Last Post: natshar
  ASU $99 - Eng 101 anyone taking / syllabus? yokopilar 3 1,076 05-05-2020, 09:12 PM
Last Post: yokopilar
  I am now taking two online college courses with the C-19 extra time at home. Life Long Learning 8 1,599 04-08-2020, 03:02 PM
Last Post: CarpeDiem8