Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taking the College Mathematics (CLEP)
I have been studying for about two weeks now, and was wondering if anyone has taken the college mathematics CLEP...I need a score of 50 or higher. I don't feel to confident, I have used other studying guides and just started with Instantcert...any pointers? I just don't know what I should expect.
rmuniz Wrote:I have been studying for about two weeks now, and was wondering if anyone has taken the college mathematics CLEP...I need a score of 50 or higher. I don't feel to confident, I have used other studying guides and just started with Instantcert...any pointers? I just don't know what I should expect.

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Blue"]Just wondering how you did???

After taking the DANTES - USSR exam, the CLEP - College Math will be my next and FINAL exam for my degree so any insights, suggestions, and help are deeply appreciated. I haven't taken any math since High School (nearly 30 years ago) Ouch!!! [/COLOR][/SIZE]
I'd relax about it. I was waaaay more concerned about it than I should have been going in. For my test, the first 15 questions were very easy standard math type questions. Toward the 3/4 mark, it was much harder, but still manageable. I passed fairly easily with a 61. Not a perfect score, of course, but plenty to get me past one of my most dreaded tests.

As I read somewhere, the college mathematics test is designed to reward logical and clear thinking. I found that to be true. Think the problems through and you should do fine. If you study for the test so that you know what they'll throw at you and are reasonably good at common math, you should do fine.
sirjake Wrote:I'd relax about it. I was waaaay more concerned about it than I should have been going in. For my test, the first 15 questions were very easy standard math type questions. Toward the 3/4 mark, it was much harder, but still manageable. I passed fairly easily with a 61. Not a perfect score, of course, but plenty to get me past one of my most dreaded tests.

As I read somewhere, the college mathematics test is designed to reward logical and clear thinking. I found that to be true. Think the problems through and you should do fine. If you study for the test so that you know what they'll throw at you and are reasonably good at common math, you should do fine.

[SIZE="2"]Thanks!! I'll keep your advise in mind just as soon as I figure out if I'm "reasonably good at common math." Crap!![/SIZE]
When you refer to the math test having 15 common sense problems can you be alittle more specific? also, I went to geometry in high school got a "d" ..well deserved i might add, so how in the ever lovin' heck is an aged student like me gonna contend with this multisubject test questions. Give me hope or just outright lie...yuk!:confused:
[SIZE="3"]I started to study for this last night and my first impression is that this may not be too tough to accomplish yet math is my achilies heel (sp?) and I will do my best not to get my ankles cut out from beneath me by doubling my normal study. This is my final exam!!![/SIZE]
Iam in the same boat you are and I feel totally afraid , apprehensive, overwhelmed, and unprepared to tackle what everyone describes as a 10th or 11th grade course. How can I even begin to cram into two or three weeks the math and science courses that I avoided so "skillfully" 30 years ago. I am seriously praying for God's help and devine intervention on these my last two courses. God be with us both!!!
RBOWMAN Wrote:Iam in the same boat you are and I feel totally afraid , apprehensive, overwhelmed, and unprepared to tackle what everyone describes as a 10th or 11th grade course. How can I even begin to cram into two or three weeks the math and science courses that I avoided so "skillfully" 30 years ago. I am seriously praying for God's help and devine intervention on these my last two courses. God be with us both!!!

RBOWMAN,

Remember that College Math is a pass/fail exam. In theory, you could get approximately one out of every two questions WRONG and still be in the passing range. Think about that for a second! You could answer every other question incorrectly and still be in the passing range?

Add to that, the probability of getting one out of every five of even the most difficult questions correct just by GUESSING. Finally, add in the fact that these exams are curved heavily in your favour, and you will realise that you are much more likely to pass than fail...if you study hard.

I'm with you guys on the whole math sucks thing. I hate math with a passion. I sucked at math twenty years ago, and I suck at math now. However, that doesn't mean that we can't pass this exam. People do it all the time!

If you are clever enough to pass other exams on the strength of your own intelligence and study skills, and if you are clever enough to be only one or two exams short of your degree....you are definitely clever enough to pass the College Math exam.

It can be done, and it most certainly can be done by you!

SLAY THIS BEAST!

Best of luck,
Snazzlefrag
Sorry about not replying before...

What I meant about the first fifteen questions is that they were just stuff like addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Maybe a mean vs. median question thrown in as well. They might have been in a word question format, but they were all extremely easy, at least for me. None of the stuff that I was much less familiar with like domain and range or algebra or imaginary numbers. That stuff came later, though I think I still figured out some of it just by deduction or common sense.

Before the test I felt largely like y'all did. And while there were certainly questions where I was lost, I did pass with a 61. I think there is enough "normal" math on the test that we should be able to pass it.
I am about to go take my college math clep and am freaking out. I have come up with a theory...tell me if you think I am crazy. I think I can answer about 1/3 of the questions with the knowledge I have. This leaves 2/3, if I pick "c" on those, this might give me 1/4 of the 2/3 correct. This gives me half correct id there are 90 questions for example...anyone following me? Now the question is should I pick 'c' for the ones I don't know or 'b'? I know if I would have spent the time studying instead of thinking about this I would be better off. thanks guys and wish me luck!hilarious

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,212 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,568 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,955 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 246 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 513 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 410 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 742 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 212 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 251 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  5 institutions paying fine plus how much college costs in every state bjcheung77 1 214 01-25-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: inor