Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Technical Studies
Hi, I am a long time viewer but first-time poster.
If I may ask, I have a few questions for those on here with vast knowledge.
I have an AAS  in Electrical Technology from a local CC (NNJ) from 25 years ago and since have been working as an equipment tech.
My goal (I think) would be to earn a BS in Technical Studies from TESU to try to move up or be ready in an event of downsizing.
I have all the credits from the AAS Technology Program (68 or so), about 15 of those from a B/M university previously. I also have about 5 computer/networking courses that I took about 15 years ago, about 14 credits (lower level). 
I know I would need more and varied Gen. Ed credits for the BS level.
My main question is how and where to obtain the upper-level tech courses that would be needed for the Technical Studies program? 
I have many equipment training courses through my employer, some at the specific manufacturers. These would be hard to get transcripted if not impossible.
Any help you can offer on a degree path would be helpful!
Thanks!
This thread has some information you may find valuable: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...+mentioned

Shadowgem mentioned some good classes that may count towards BSTS UL: "the DSST Fundamentals of Cybersecurity, Study.com's CS 302/CS 303, TESU's Network Technology TECEP seem like they may be worth asking about? If so, that would be 12 UL plus the capstone and project management would give him the 18UL required maybe."

Another thing to keep in mind is that you would need chem 1/2 + labs OR physics 1/2 +labs(if you don't already have it).

Any extra gened courses should be pretty straightforward through clep, ace, NCCRS, etc.

Best thing may be to go ahead and apply & send in transcripts to see where you stand and what you need.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Thanks,
I think my next step would be to get started on the general-eds I need from the resources mentioned...Ethics, economics, sociology, etc...as they wouldn't be wasted.
 The old AAS program wasn't heavy on a large amount of "well-rounded electives" I would need to take Chem 2 and Lab. I had algebra and 2 levels of technical mathematics. I suppose an advisor from TESU could give me a clue as to what would be best for the upper-level tech courses, with the electrical/electronics/mechanical lower levels, I should be covered there.
(09-06-2018, 03:24 PM)MrOwl011 Wrote: Thanks,
I think my next step would be to get started on the general-eds I need from the resources mentioned...Ethics, economics, sociology, etc...as they wouldn't be wasted.
 The old AAS program wasn't heavy on a large amount of "well-rounded electives" I would need to take Chem 2 and Lab. I had algebra and 2 levels of technical mathematics. I suppose an advisor from TESU could give me a clue as to what would be best for the upper-level tech courses, with the electrical/electronics/mechanical lower levels, I should be covered there.

"I suppose an advisor from TESU could give me a clue as to what would be best for the upper-level tech courses"

They are often the worst source - unless you're planning on taking them trough TESU.  TESU advisors will not advise you on where and how to earn the credits through alternative sources; that is where we can help you. When it comes to the BSTS you need to apply send them the transcripts and see what you're missing.  Good news is it sounds like you may already have Chem I w/lab if so, if you wish you may have another option to the Chem II w/lab - someone just posted they received word that you can bring in a Physics I w/lab and meet the requirement (there are low cost options for this) - https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid268736

Ethics can be done for free, see info here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Fr..._of_Credit
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(09-06-2018, 03:24 PM)MrOwl011 Wrote: I suppose an advisor from TESU could give me a clue as to what would be best for the upper-level tech courses, with the electrical/electronics/mechanical lower levels, I should be covered there.

Their job is not to help you find courses outside of the school to take instead of their own classes.  Not only would that be impossible for them to keep up with them all, but really, they want you to take classes there.  So you can't say "where can I take this cheaper than what you offer?"  BTW, NO SCHOOL will do this for you!

Instead, if you're an enrolled student there, you just need to contact them if you have a question about a specific course - "does XYZ course meet the ABC requirement?"  That's as much as you can expect to get from them.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • davewill

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies (Has anyone taken one of these courses? patsfand 1 785 02-22-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  2D Cad/Technical Drawing Credit Eligible Courses flamewerks 0 330 10-17-2023, 02:15 PM
Last Post: flamewerks
  So long, computer science — Chaos Studies is the hot new college degree LevelUP 9 1,205 10-15-2023, 11:14 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Anyone complete any of these studies? (Mexican/Spanish Propios) bjcheung77 7 1,057 09-20-2023, 11:31 AM
Last Post: elcastor21
  SUU Bachelor of General Studies (Speedway) EDUxplorer 10 1,932 04-18-2023, 12:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Saudi Scholarship: No funding for English studies bjcheung77 2 766 12-13-2022, 08:43 AM
Last Post: Fewind
  Are Studies Degrees the Worst College Degrees? LevelUP 5 1,106 09-23-2022, 11:20 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  Girne - Health Related Studies - Scholarship bjcheung77 4 571 08-13-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Johann
  Universal Technical Institute buys Concorde Career Colleges bjcheung77 0 433 05-16-2022, 02:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Integrative Professional Studies Alpha 1 550 04-29-2022, 12:47 PM
Last Post: ss20ts