Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Jesus factor
LaceyLady Wrote:It was the book College without Compromise by the Wightmans that introduced me to credit-by-exam, the big three, etc. I am really glad I got that book.

Chalk me down as another one who got introduced to distance learning through College without Compromise (or rather, my mom was introduced to it and then told me all about it). Apparently that book was more popular than I thought.

I think a big reason a Christian is more likely to take this approach is because colleges usually contradict Christians' belief systems so any alternative is better than that one. For me it's more about the time and money, though the terrible-ness of college definitely makes me feel like I'm not missing out (except for the fact that all my friends keep leaving me to go to their Christian colleges).
Kyle
TESC Liberal Studies BA - 2011
New Charter University MPA - 2012
Georgetown University School of Law - 2016

BA in Liberal Studies - Degree Outline|

Galations 6:9 - "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."
I think I've read through most of College Without Compromise. It's a great book. Yeah Kyle, time and money where a big thing for me also. My parent where definitely not going to send me anywhere because of the cost. But I really like doing it this way, and staying ahead of my friends in college (they don't understand, they think its some really cheap, worthless degree or something).
BSBA in Finance from TESC by fall 2011
Total: 147 credits
rossatkinson Wrote:I think I've read through most of College Without Compromise. It's a great book. Yeah Kyle, time and money where a big thing for me also. My parent where definitely not going to send me anywhere because of the cost. But I really like doing it this way, and staying ahead of my friends in college (they don't understand, they think its some really cheap, worthless degree or something).

Most people don't really understand what it means to get a degree like this and think it's easy. A couple of things I've said to my friends to help them understand. First of all, most people aren't familiar with CLEP/DSST, but have heard of AP credits. I will mention that it's the same as an AP class, but you do the class yourself and then take the test. I also mention that it's basically the same thing as showing up to class on the very last day, taking the final exam and then getting credit for the full semester because you learned the material.

One other thing that I will do is choose the particular college that my friend goes to and then look up their CLEP policy. When they find out that their own college accepts CLEP/DSST credits, it does make a difference. I also now use what someone else said on here once (I think it was Cookderosa), which is that even Harvard accepts CLEP credit.

Anyhow.. people who are paying tons of money and spending years of their life in a B&M college may never respect or understand what you're doing. It's smarter than what they're doing depending on the major, and they wouldn't want to accept that you're a few steps ahead.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
burbuja0512 Wrote:I also now use what someone else said on here once (I think it was Cookderosa), which is that even Harvard accepts CLEP credit.

That wasn't me, but I do know about Harvard's College of Continuing Education (AKA the Extension). They accept 12 CLEP credits toward the bachelor's degree
Transfer Credit: Undergraduate Degree: Harvard Extension School

I'm 99% sure Harvard College doesn't accept CLEP or AP credit, and I think they only accept transfer credit for up to 4 electives- it's been a few years though, I might not be right on that.
Farmerboy Wrote:Can I claim to be one of the first as well?Big Grin
Ooo Oo, can I claim to be.... somewhere in the middle???? Big Grin
TESC Criminal Justice BA '12
B&M Civil Engineering BS (In Progress)
cookderosa Wrote:That wasn't me, but I do know about Harvard's College of Continuing Education (AKA the Extension). They accept 12 CLEP credits toward the bachelor's degree
Transfer Credit: Undergraduate Degree: Harvard Extension School

I'm 99% sure Harvard College doesn't accept CLEP or AP credit, and I think they only accept transfer credit for up to 4 electives- it's been a few years though, I might not be right on that.

Lol.. sorry Jennifer! I guess I think of you as the Harvard expert on the board, so that's why I thought it was you.

I guess I am confusing Harvard Extension classes with the traditional Harvard programs. I guess they're both part of Harvard, but one is difficult to get into and the other is available to almost anyone?
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
betch Wrote:Is it just because the clep route is dominated by homeschoolers and homeschoolers are predominately christian?
*Ding*

Like Jennifer, I feel like the demographic has changed since I first joined. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it is definitely true that there are more homeschoolers here than before as the word spreads on how to stay home even longer. Confusedmilelol:

(NB I'm a Christian and I've been homeschooled since 1st grade.)
[SIZE="1"]American Government (68) ~ Analyzing & Interpreting Literature (70) ~ Art of the Western World (72) ~ Astronomy (66) ~ ENG407: Chaucer (A) ~ Civil War & Reconstruction (69) ~ College Algebra (62) ~ College Mathematics (73) ~ College Writing (A) ~ English Composition with Essay (59) ~ GRE Literature in English (610/73%tile) ~ Humanities (75) ~ Introduction to Business (62) ~ Introduction to Computing (459) ~ Introduction to Educational Psychology (72) ~ Introduction to World Religions (478) ~ Introductory Psychology (74) ~ Money & Banking (48) ~ Research & Writing (A) ~ Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union (68) ~ ENG 310: Short Stories (A) ~ Introductory Sociology (77) ~ Social Sciences & History (76) ~ Technical Writing (67) ~ US History I (69) ~ US History II (64) ~ Western Civilization I (76) ~ Western Civilization II (65) Western Europe Since 1945 (65) ~ Exam Feedback

Total Credits: 121 ~ DONE: Literature in English BA from Excelsior College[/SIZE]
Ruddigore Wrote:how to stay home even longer. Confusedmilelol:

Yeah its that way sometime, but it is certainly easier to work on your degree while still at home. I'm starting to work towards moving out (BIG THING), but I want to wait until I finish my degree. One thing at a time.
BSBA in Finance from TESC by fall 2011
Total: 147 credits
burbuja0512 Wrote:Lol.. sorry Jennifer! I guess I think of you as the Harvard expert on the board, so that's why I thought it was you.

I guess I am confusing Harvard Extension classes with the traditional Harvard programs. I guess they're both part of Harvard, but one is difficult to get into and the other is available to almost anyone?

You're right. Harvard University System Harvard Home has several Colleges within them. The "Harvard College" is the college that you hear about being elite and exceedingly difficult to get into. That is an undergrad degree college. The other colleges are all for graduate study, except for their Continuing Education college which practices the policy of open enrollment. Anyone can take any class (if you meet prereqs) by simply signing up and paying. They even have distance learning options. They offer several degrees that way (undergrad and grad), however the degree programs are not open enrollment. You must, first, enroll and pass 3 courses before applying (for grad school anyway- not sure about the undergrad program). So, if you can do the work- they let you do the work! It's a fantastic program. They do, however, have a thesis requirement that is a brick wall for a huge % and many people get to the thesis requirement and drop out. But, it's really Harvard. I don't particularly think their undergrad option is a path I'd pick, however, their grad programs are A+ and think ALL OF YOU HERE should at least look at the list of programs before excluding them from your potential grad schools.
cookderosa Wrote:You must, first, enroll and pass 3 courses before applying (for grad school anyway- not sure about the undergrad program). So, if you can do the work- they let you do the work! It's a fantastic program. They do, however, have a thesis requirement that is a brick wall for a huge % and many people get to the thesis requirement and drop out. But, it's really Harvard. I don't particularly think their undergrad option is a path I'd pick, however, their grad programs are A+ and think ALL OF YOU HERE should at least look at the list of programs before excluding them from your potential grad schools.

I agree, but it's important to note that they have zero programs that one can completely 100% online. The minimum is 1 semester of residence, and most programs require more than that. So for folks unable to move to Cambridge, MA for a few months, these degrees are a non-option.
Pursuing TESC B.A. in Natural Sciences/Mathematics

65 credits in 3 weeks from A&I Lit 79; College Comp w/ Essay 63; College Math 75; College Algebra 76; Precalculus 63; Intro Psychology 78; Intro Sociology 62; Intro Computing 473; Personal Finance 451; Health 467; Management Info Sys 466; MCITP Enterprise Admin; MCITP Server Admin; MCITP Virtualization Admin; MCITP Enterprise Messaging Admin; MCITP SQL Server DBA

Remaining:
CLEP Human Growth & Development
TESC Global Environmental Change
TESC Artificial Intelligence

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I Will Teach You How to See Jesus in 30 Seconds LevelUP 1 247 03-17-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: P226mem
  Multi-Factor Authentication (Azure/Safenet) bjcheung77 2 1,010 07-17-2020, 04:22 AM
Last Post: todointernet