Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Jesus factor
jmed Wrote:I agree, but it's important to note that they have zero programs that one can completely 100% online. The minimum is 1 semester of residence, and most programs require more than that. So for folks unable to move to Cambridge, MA for a few months, these degrees are a non-option.

Yes, that's what kept me from considering them. Lol.. that and the high price. I would still love to get a certificate or something with them. I could pull it off for work purposes. I work from home, so anywhere is fine... I just couldn't afford to live in MA for a semester. So, until I get friends or family that move near the Harvard campus, it's not an option for me.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
jmed Wrote:I agree, but it's important to note that they have zero programs that one can completely 100% online. The minimum is 1 semester of residence, and most programs require more than that. So for folks unable to move to Cambridge, MA for a few months, these degrees are a non-option.

What you can do (which was my plan) is use the summer sessions to meet your residency requirements. They cap your distance learning to 6/10 of your degree. So, you will need no fewer than 2 summer sessions. (they say 1 but it's 2 because of the proseminar and field study). A summer session is 7 weeks and you can stay on campus in the dorms...it'll cost you...but it's an option that is much easier than a 16 week semester.
cookderosa Wrote:What you can do (which was my plan) is use the summer sessions to meet your residency requirements. They cap your distance learning to 6/10 of your degree. So, you will need no fewer than 2 summer sessions. (they say 1 but it's 2 because of the proseminar and field study). A summer session is 7 weeks and you can stay on campus in the dorms...it'll cost you...but it's an option that is much easier than a 16 week semester.

Yes, easier than 4 months. But two separate 2 month sessions is rough.

I'm doing the Master's in Information Technology through them (already have the prereq/admission courses done, just need to finish this B.A. NatSci/Math to officially enroll) and there is no field study, so it is just one summer session.

I'm going to see if my employer will let me do some telecommuting when it comes time to do the summer session. If not, I'll do a long vacation and/or leave of absence.

Also, I like that they let you take whatever else you want, so I plan to take one IT class and one other class each semester (biology, economics, philosophy, political science, etc.)

Which program were you interested in, cook, that required field study? Biology? Environmental management?
Pursuing TESC B.A. in Natural Sciences/Mathematics

65 credits in 3 weeks from A&I Lit 79; College Comp w/ Essay 63; College Math 75; College Algebra 76; Precalculus 63; Intro Psychology 78; Intro Sociology 62; Intro Computing 473; Personal Finance 451; Health 467; Management Info Sys 466; MCITP Enterprise Admin; MCITP Server Admin; MCITP Virtualization Admin; MCITP Enterprise Messaging Admin; MCITP SQL Server DBA

Remaining:
CLEP Human Growth & Development
TESC Global Environmental Change
TESC Artificial Intelligence
jmed Wrote:Yes, easier than 4 months. But two separate 2 month sessions is rough.

I'm doing the Master's in Information Technology through them (already have the prereq/admission courses done, just need to finish this B.A. NatSci/Math to officially enroll) and there is no field study, so it is just one summer session.

I'm going to see if my employer will let me do some telecommuting when it comes time to do the summer session. If not, I'll do a long vacation and/or leave of absence.

Also, I like that they let you take whatever else you want, so I plan to take one IT class and one other class each semester (biology, economics, philosophy, political science, etc.)

Which program were you interested in, cook, that required field study? Biology? Environmental management?

I started, but dropped, the psychology program. It wasn't Harvard, it was me. I had never wanted to work in the field but wanted to do it "for fun" however, logic prevailed and I decided I wasn't in the right season for that kind of indulgence lol. But....it's still on my wish list. If, however, they added something in education I'd be all over it. I'm working toward 2 master's degrees and a new business, so I've got no free time (or money).
Going away to college when I got out of high school was a great experience and one I am glad I chose to take. You meet a wide variety of people from many different backgrounds and places. I wish I had continued at the time and finished. I am almost done now via an online program with a few credits received by testing.
There are many ways to pay for school, loans, grants, scholarships and other means. College may be expensive, but it is an investment in time and money that will pay off for the rest of your life. My college experiences can never be taken away from me and I learned a lot more out of the classroom then I did in.
If you are young and just out of high school, going to college is an experience you definitely want to take part in.
The only difference between brilliance and stupidity is that brilliance has limits.

CLEPs taken:
Information Systems and Computer Applications 72
Principles of Management 63
American Government 62
videguy Wrote:If you are young and just out of high school, going to college is an experience you definitely want to take part in.

And there is the problem with the American school system... college is not meant to be an "experience" it's meant to teach you what you need to know. It's always good to socialize, but that isn't the objective of higher learning, but it seems more and more people make it out to be that way. More importantly, however, not everyone is cut out for college, nor should everyone go to college. There are other ways you can make an honest living in the military, learning a trade, or by starting entry level somewhere and working your way up. It's the "go to college go to college!" mantra of U.S. high schools that has led to the watering down of the publics' education: More people have degrees but somehow we're less intelligent as a nation.
College should absolutely be an experience. You are there to learn and that should be your primary goal. For many it is also their first time out on their own where they must learn to be responsible learn to do things on their own. Their parents are not there to make them do things, they need to learn some self discipline. Those are things you don't learn in class, you learn by the experience of having to stay up all night to get a project done because you did not get it done ealier. You learn through experience that if you stayed out all night partying and did not study for that test. You will likely fail it. Most should have learned this long before college, but often there is a parent there to nag them about studying. If you go away to college your parents are not there to nag you to sudy for that test or get that project done before the night before it is due.
You are right that there are people who should not go to college. They are better suited to either a trade or other profession that does not require a college degree. There are definitely people in my current class that are wasting their money on classes toward a degree. The class is a lower level class required for most majors, so there are a lot of people in it. Many are likely to be weeded out as they get to higher level classes. This is one of the last classes I will be taking for my degree, I did notice as the classes became more difficult there were fewer people who made it through the classes.
High schools want to encourage people to get a degree as it is often a key to a better paying job and career advancement. This may not alwys be the case, but many companies use a degree as a tool to weed out who they will consider hiring for many jobs.
The only difference between brilliance and stupidity is that brilliance has limits.

CLEPs taken:
Information Systems and Computer Applications 72
Principles of Management 63
American Government 62
I don't need to pay 20k a year in tuition to know it's a bad idea to wait till the last minute to finish a project Wink
MA2 Wrote:I don't need to pay 20k a year in tuition to know it's a bad idea to wait till the last minute to finish a project Wink
I am adding this to my list of awesome "you need experience" comebacks.
Kyle
TESC Liberal Studies BA - 2011
New Charter University MPA - 2012
Georgetown University School of Law - 2016

BA in Liberal Studies - Degree Outline|

Galations 6:9 - "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."
[COLOR="Navy"]In keeping with the theme of the thread - "The Jesus Factor" I pray that we can add comments that are not overly critical, self-centered, and at times seem to be a bit harsh and rude. :iagree:

Can I get an AMEN [SIZE="5"]+[/SIZE] ?![/COLOR]
Confusedeeya:
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Multi-Factor Authentication (Azure/Safenet) bjcheung77 2 1,015 07-17-2020, 04:22 AM
Last Post: todointernet