Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The cheapest upper-division RA courses?
Hello guys,

What are the cheapest upper-division liberal arts RA courses that I can take online??

Big Grin
UExcels and TECEPs, they're the cheapest RA you can get and fast too as it's just an exam, some will have written components, but if you're very well versed in that subject matter, it shouldn't be an obstacle at all... UL can be had for $110+ fees ($180-$195) for Uexcels and $225 flat for TECEPS
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • nomaduser, Pikachu
(01-23-2021, 11:08 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: UExcels and TECEPs, they're the cheapest RA you can get and fast too as it's just an exam, some will have written components, but if you're very well versed in that subject matter, it shouldn't be an obstacle at all...  UL can be had for $110+ fees ($180-$195) for Uexcels and $225 flat for TECEPS

Thanks for your info!

Do they give letter grades on their transcripts for RA exam credits?

Wink

EDIT: I found TESU won't give any letter grade so TECEP exam credits won't transfer out of TESU.

"TECEP Grades
TECEP grades are recorded as CR (Credit) or NC (No Credit) and do not affect the grade point average (GPA). Students who register but don't test or withdraw by the last day of the term will receive an NT (Not Taken) grade. An official transcript will not show a numeric score, a letter grade, an NC or NT grade, only exams successfully completed and the number of credits earned."

I tried to transfer TESU's CR credit course before ... and it was rejected. Most of universities will reject CR grade course for transfer.

Do Uxcel exams give you letter grades, GPA on Excelsior transcript??? if that's the case, I can challenge on that.

It looks like they do!

"Uxcel Score Reporting

For most of our examinations, based on performance, an examinee is awarded a letter grade of A, B, C, or F along with diagnostic information describing examinee performance in each of the major content areas in any given exam. A letter grade of D can be given, but credit is awarded for A, B, and C letter grades only. The letter grades reported to examinees indicate that their performance was equivalent to the performance of students who received the same letter grade in a comparable, on-campus course. "
Yes, UExcel's are letter-graded. They are also very difficult, so be careful with that. No grade is better than a bad grade. Make sure you take one of the inexpensive ones - and pay for the extras (study guide and practice tests).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • nomaduser, Pikachu
(01-24-2021, 10:02 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Yes, UExcel's are letter-graded.  They are also very difficult, so be careful with that.  No grade is better than a bad grade.  Make sure you take one of the inexpensive ones - and pay for the extras (study guide and practice tests).

Do they give letter grades on an official Excelsior transcript?
I hope so!   Cool

Then there's a high chance that I will be able to transfer Uxcel credits to other schools.

TESU's CR credit course will be rejected by most of universities unless they specifically mention they'll accept TECEP credits.
Most of universities don't accept transfer credits without letter grades.
(01-24-2021, 10:21 AM)nomaduser Wrote:
(01-24-2021, 10:02 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Yes, UExcel's are letter-graded.  They are also very difficult, so be careful with that.  No grade is better than a bad grade.  Make sure you take one of the inexpensive ones - and pay for the extras (study guide and practice tests).

Do they give letter grades on an official Excelsior transcript?
I hope so!   Cool

Then there's a high chance that I will be able to transfer Uxcel credits to other schools.

TESU's CR credit course will be rejected by most of universities unless they specifically mention they'll accept TECEP credits.
Most of universities don't accept transfer credits without letter grades.

This is simply not true.  It may be of a few universities you inquired of, but I know of MANY schools that will take all kinds of Institutional exams that are CR/ungraded.

There are 4000+ colleges in the US, so to say "most" of something is probably not true unless you know of hundreds where it's the case and can assume a certain percentage.  I know in this case it is not "most."

And I'm almost willing to bet that there aren't 5 schools here in the US that specifically accept TECEP exams - nor any other school's exams specifically.  Why would any school single out another school's exams to say they will accept them??
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • nomaduser
There may be other schools with lower tuition for UL courses, but FHSU is the cheapest I've come across at $212 and some change per credit.

https://www.fhsu.edu/online/index
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • nomaduser, Pikachu
It's not super easy to find (because Google wants to pull up TESU pages) but here are a handful of colleges/universities that explicitly accept TECEPs just fine:

https://www.lsc.edu/current-students/rec...minations/
https://www.esc.edu/degree-planning-acad...zed-exams/
https://drexel.edu/goodwin/academics/deg...redit-apl/
https://www.pittstate.edu/registrar/cred...rning.html

I am sure that there are many other colleges/universities that will accept them but do not outright say so. Why would they? They want you to take classes with them, not spend a couple hundred on TECEP exams. It can be near-impossible to find information on which CLEP exams a school accepts and what score you need, and CLEP exams are probably more widely known than TECEPs. Most colleges/universities probably accept at least some CLEP exams and don't let you know this.

If you need graded credits for a graduate degree, that's one thing. But it's impossible to say that TECEPs won't work at all unless you've already asked the institution(s) of your choice.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • crotique, nomaduser, Pikachu
(01-24-2021, 02:00 PM)ss20ts Wrote: There may be other schools with lower tuition for UL courses, but FHSU is the cheapest I've come across at $212 and some change per credit.

FHSU is $227 per credit plus a $30 admission fee. Which is dirt cheap to me as a New Yorker, but my issue is that they have many the courses I need... only not offered online. So frustrating!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes monchevy's post:
  • nomaduser
(01-25-2021, 11:34 AM)monchevy Wrote:
(01-24-2021, 02:00 PM)ss20ts Wrote: There may be other schools with lower tuition for UL courses, but FHSU is the cheapest I've come across at $212 and some change per credit.

FHSU is $227 per credit plus a $30 admission fee. Which is dirt cheap to me as a New Yorker, but my issue is that they have many the courses I need... only not offered online. So frustrating!!

Oh they had a small tuition increase since the spring semester when I was looking at some classes. To a NYer, it's dirt cheap! The fees here are often almost as much as our tuition. For how much we pay in taxes, I would expect our colleges to be significantly less expensive. 

What courses are you looking for? I know they offer several degrees fully online. Mostly business, but some computer programming as well. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASU's non-proctored courses rachel83az 66 13,452 02-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Czech College Courses for 50+ in the US eriehiker 2 274 01-19-2024, 01:16 PM
  University of AZ: Are these 10-wk Business Analytics Cert Courses Worth the $? Claudia P 3 355 01-18-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  The official guide to self-study RA courses from ASU, BYU, UIdaho, etc. rachel83az 50 31,569 11-10-2023, 07:01 PM
Last Post: jch
  The official guide to courses from the Big Three: COSC, TESU, & Excelsior jsh1138 25 39,181 10-22-2023, 06:02 PM
Last Post: jch
  New ASU ULC Courses: 1 in Physics (no lab), 2 in Organizational doom 30 4,038 03-07-2023, 09:19 AM
Last Post: doom
  (Possibly) cheapest credits for TESU Comp Sci degree rachel83az 11 3,072 01-29-2023, 10:53 PM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  UoPeople Certificate program transfer courses? MNomadic 5 1,593 12-13-2022, 10:44 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Official guide to courses from Finnish universities rachel83az 1 2,129 10-31-2022, 08:13 AM
Last Post: carrythenothing
Star Self-paced online courses from University of North Dakota (UND) Pikachu 13 2,980 09-07-2022, 04:02 PM