Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The cheapest upper-division RA courses?
(01-25-2021, 01:46 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(01-25-2021, 11:34 AM)monchevy Wrote:
(01-24-2021, 02:00 PM)ss20ts Wrote: There may be other schools with lower tuition for UL courses, but FHSU is the cheapest I've come across at $212 and some change per credit.

https://www.fhsu.edu/online/index

FHSU is $227 per credit plus a $30 admission fee. Which is dirt cheap to me as a New Yorker, but my issue is that they have many the courses I need... only not offered online. So frustrating!!

Oh they had a small tuition increase since the spring semester when I was looking at some classes. To a NYer, it's dirt cheap! The fees here are often almost as much as our tuition. For how much we pay in taxes, I would expect our colleges to be significantly less expensive. 

What courses are you looking for? I know they offer several degrees fully online. Mostly business, but some computer programming as well. 

Honestly... a 3-credit course is well over $1,000 here! Utterly crazy. And of course the ridiculous certificate of residency. A for-profit university if far more affordable—and less red tape—than our state and city schools.

I need a bunch of UL Comm courses for my major and concentration: Comm 348 / 350 / 601  606. None of these seem to be offered online. It's maddening looking at them all on my screen, close enough to touch, but still out of reach!!  Undecided
(01-25-2021, 02:21 PM)monchevy Wrote:
(01-25-2021, 01:46 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(01-25-2021, 11:34 AM)monchevy Wrote:
(01-24-2021, 02:00 PM)ss20ts Wrote: There may be other schools with lower tuition for UL courses, but FHSU is the cheapest I've come across at $212 and some change per credit.

https://www.fhsu.edu/online/index

FHSU is $227 per credit plus a $30 admission fee. Which is dirt cheap to me as a New Yorker, but my issue is that they have many the courses I need... only not offered online. So frustrating!!

Oh they had a small tuition increase since the spring semester when I was looking at some classes. To a NYer, it's dirt cheap! The fees here are often almost as much as our tuition. For how much we pay in taxes, I would expect our colleges to be significantly less expensive. 

What courses are you looking for? I know they offer several degrees fully online. Mostly business, but some computer programming as well. 

Honestly... a 3-credit course is well over $1,000 here! Utterly crazy. And of course the ridiculous certificate of residency. A for-profit university if far more affordable—and less red tape—than our state and city schools.

I need a bunch of UL Comm courses for my major and concentration: Comm 348 / 350 / 601  606. None of these seem to be offered online. It's maddening looking at them all on my screen, close enough to touch, but still out of reach!!  Undecided

Are you trying to get a TESU Communications degree? What about UMPI? https://online.umpi.edu/programs/ba-prof...alism.aspx
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(01-25-2021, 02:33 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Are you trying to get a TESU Communications degree? What about UMPI? https://online.umpi.edu/programs/ba-prof...alism.aspx

No, I'm at APU.
[-] The following 1 user Likes monchevy's post:
  • nomaduser
(01-24-2021, 10:02 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Yes, UExcel's are letter-graded.  They are also very difficult, so be careful with that.  No grade is better than a bad grade.  Make sure you take one of the inexpensive ones - and pay for the extras (study guide and practice tests).

I second that!  
I could take 2 or 3 CLEP tests a week and pass no problem but I got crushed on my first UExcel and also my first TECEP - failed both.  

I have done them since with no problem, but I have found that looking at the syllabus for the physical class and getting the recommended books/work books is the key for me + a lot of quizlets.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lydclrk's post:
  • Pikachu
(01-25-2021, 02:48 PM)monchevy Wrote:
(01-25-2021, 02:33 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Are you trying to get a TESU Communications degree? What about UMPI? https://online.umpi.edu/programs/ba-prof...alism.aspx

No, I'm at APU.

APU has a very good price and only requires 30cr of residency.  You'd be much better off planning the degree out to where you bring in the max 90cr, 60cr of which can be alternative.  Then, you take 30cr there, and most should be the UL credits that you can't find elsewhere.

Which degree are you trying to get there?  If it's the BA in Communications, I don't understand where COM 601 or 606 comes from - those are considered graduate-level courses, and aren't required for that degree.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-23-2021, 08:56 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

No, I'm at APU.

APU has a very good price and only requires 30cr of residency.  You'd be much better off planning the degree out to where you bring in the max 90cr, 60cr of which can be alternative.  Then, you take 30cr there, and most should be the UL credits that you can't find elsewhere.

Which degree are you trying to get there?  If it's the BA in Communications, I don't understand where COM 601 or 606 comes from - those are considered graduate-level courses, and aren't required for that degree.

I've already done all that. I enrolled in September. Gen eds (30) and electives (27) are done. There are still major, concentration and capstone requirements. I have finished 21/27 LL major credits; the other 15 of the 42 major credits need to be UL. Then I need 21 UL for concentration and capstone. 

I'm trying to fill the major requirements with as many RA as possible so I can keep it down to just 30 residency credits, since they're not cheap. I've done 6 LL residency credits so far, and plan to take all 21 concentration and capstone credits in residence. I have it all in hand, just still searching for some affordable ULs to plug in for a few of the majors. I do have one alternative slot left, but none of the available sources have the classes I need. I could only transfer in 57 in the end.

And yeah, I later realized the 6-level courses are graduate and I was being a dodo. I could still use the others to be online, though.
(02-24-2021, 09:56 AM)monchevy Wrote:

No, I'm at APU.

I've already done all that. I enrolled in September. Gen eds (30) and electives (27) are done. There are still major, concentration and capstone requirements. I have finished 21/27 LL major credits; the other 15 of the 42 major credits need to be UL. Then I need 21 UL for concentration and capstone. 

I'm trying to fill the major requirements with as many RA as possible so I can keep it down to just 30 residency credits, since they're not cheap. I've done 6 LL residency credits so far, and plan to take all 21 concentration and capstone credits in residence. I have it all in hand, just still searching for some affordable ULs to plug in for a few of the majors. I do have one alternative slot left, but none of the available sources have the classes I need. I could only transfer in 57 in the end.

And yeah, I later realized the 6-level courses are graduate and I was being a dodo. I could still use the others to be online, though.

If you list the course name rather than course number, someone may be able to help you.  Expecting someone to go to APU's website and look up the courses won't work.

So list everything you still need to take and we can probably help.

I know CSU-Global has some Comm SSA's:
COM300S: Effective Business Communication Skills
COM300S??: Communication in the Global Age
COM310S: Interpersonal Communication in the Workplace
COM315S: Intercultural Communication
ORG423S: Communication Strategies for Leaders
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-24-2021, 10:59 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 09:56 AM)monchevy Wrote:

No, I'm at APU.

If you list the course name rather than course number, someone may be able to help you.  Expecting someone to go to APU's website and look up the courses won't work.

I didn't ask for any help...  Huh I was just replying to a post. I built my own degree plan and do my own research.
(02-24-2021, 11:23 AM)monchevy Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 10:59 AM)dfrecore Wrote: If you list the course name rather than course number, someone may be able to help you.  Expecting someone to go to APU's website and look up the courses won't work.

I didn't ask for any help...  Huh I was just replying to a post. I built my own degree plan and do my own research.

On post #11, you said "I need a bunch of UL Comm courses for my major and concentration: Comm 348 / 350 / 601  606. None of these seem to be offered online."

That led me to believe me you were asking for help.
(02-24-2021, 11:38 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 11:23 AM)monchevy Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 10:59 AM)dfrecore Wrote: If you list the course name rather than course number, someone may be able to help you.  Expecting someone to go to APU's website and look up the courses won't work.

On post #11, you said "I need a bunch of UL Comm courses for my major and concentration: Comm 348 / 350 / 601  606. None of these seem to be offered online."

That led me to believe me you were asking for help.

Sorry, just a misunderstanding. It was a statement, not a question. Just venting frustrations.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASU's non-proctored courses rachel83az 66 13,452 02-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Czech College Courses for 50+ in the US eriehiker 2 273 01-19-2024, 01:16 PM
  University of AZ: Are these 10-wk Business Analytics Cert Courses Worth the $? Claudia P 3 354 01-18-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  The official guide to self-study RA courses from ASU, BYU, UIdaho, etc. rachel83az 50 31,561 11-10-2023, 07:01 PM
Last Post: jch
  The official guide to courses from the Big Three: COSC, TESU, & Excelsior jsh1138 25 39,176 10-22-2023, 06:02 PM
Last Post: jch
  New ASU ULC Courses: 1 in Physics (no lab), 2 in Organizational doom 30 4,038 03-07-2023, 09:19 AM
Last Post: doom
  (Possibly) cheapest credits for TESU Comp Sci degree rachel83az 11 3,072 01-29-2023, 10:53 PM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  UoPeople Certificate program transfer courses? MNomadic 5 1,593 12-13-2022, 10:44 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Official guide to courses from Finnish universities rachel83az 1 2,126 10-31-2022, 08:13 AM
Last Post: carrythenothing
Star Self-paced online courses from University of North Dakota (UND) Pikachu 13 2,980 09-07-2022, 04:02 PM