Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The (new) Virtual Dissertation Defense
A tough experience made tougher?
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2020...hd-defense
Assuming this opens up the possibility of doing dissertations without having to travel, I think this is a good thing. It might be difficult for some students, but it opens up the possibility to get a Doctorate even if you can't afford to travel to, let alone live in, the city where the university is located. Or, as the article states, if you've since taken up work in another location and can't return for the dissertation.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I don't think this is a bad thing. I think it's actually a good thing. Many people are not comfortable with technology and have poor adaptation skills. Many people are terrible at presenting to a group because they haven't had a great deal of practice. This saves people from having to travel. I'm seeing a number of schools offer PhD programs where all you have left to do is your dissertation. Many of these programs are online and don't require travel so the defense must be done remotely I would imagine.
One of my friends did his defense at a traditional B&M school through zoom in 2020 due to COVID-19 restrictions. The faculty adapted to make it possible. It was an exciting new way to do it for the people involved. I don't think they'd thought about remote dissertation defenses prior to that, but the door is open to do with students for whom it makes sense in the future at that school. I think it's a positive thing that gives people flexibility.

The only downside is when they mailed him the diploma, they spelled his name wrong!
on a somewhat related note, I recently read that some people convicted during a Zoom trial are appealing to have their convictions overturned because they were denied the right to confront their accuser
they claim that having witnesses "on the stand" on a zoom call is not the same as having them in courtroom
they say that being in a courtroom puts more pressure on witnesses -- they claim that standing next to a judge and being sworn in, sitting in a room with the defendant and lawyers and a judge looking at them makes its more "real" and puts more pressure on people to tell the truth
Or it puts more pressure on people to say literally anything just to be able to leave the witness stand. It's definitely not as clear cut as banning all remote testimony.

Also, CCTV testimony has been a thing for decades in sensitive cases. It's the same thing. The only difference is exactly what room the witness is located in, and I don't think that's much of a difference.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I think that remote dissertation defense is quite convenient, especially in connection with the current situation with covid-19, this is a pretty good way out of the situation
(01-28-2022, 10:51 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Assuming this opens up the possibility of doing dissertations without having to travel, I think this is a good thing. It might be difficult for some students, but it opens up the possibility to get a Doctorate even if you can't afford to travel to, let alone live in, the city where the university is located. Or, as the article states, if you've since taken up work in another location and can't return for the dissertation.

I agree. This opens up the potential for universities to compete for great candidates across the country (and world) for most doctorates that won't require comps. Even with comps, the proctor software is pretty damn good. Many universities have moved to oral comprehensive exams, so you cannot really prepare for it. Shouldn't ever be a point for the doctorate candidate once they're at that point they should already be a world's leading expert in their field as this is the last step.

(05-23-2022, 11:08 AM)Jonas Wrote: I think that remote dissertation defense is quite convenient, especially in connection with the current situation with covid-19, this is a pretty good way out of the situation

In a way, I am thankful for COVID-19. It sent shockwaves through the educational organizations and forced them to finally become tech and remote friendly. The loss of life is so sad, of course, but, at the same time, I'm glad schools and many businesses learned from it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2024 Online EdD Programs No Dissertation Required (Applied Capstone Projects) Imbanewbie 2 568 02-08-2024, 01:36 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Any All-But-Dissertation (ABD) Doctorate in Psychology (Psy.D./Ph.D.) programs? PositiveSoul 6 1,734 02-09-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Dissertation-Only DBA in Supply Chain Management sanantone 4 1,185 01-13-2022, 06:59 PM
  Doctor of Plant Medicine, no dissertation sanantone 7 1,763 09-25-2021, 09:22 PM
  Hybrid Ed.D, No Dissertation sanantone 3 1,576 02-22-2019, 10:40 PM
Last Post: Sagan
  Professional Doctorate - No Dissertation or Research Project sanantone 7 7,166 01-31-2019, 02:41 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Online EdD in Psychology, No Dissertation sanantone 2 2,565 12-30-2017, 12:23 PM
Last Post: RANSOMSOUL