Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input!
(03-06-2020, 12:25 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
(03-06-2020, 10:49 AM)cwendy111 Wrote: What did the Communications course transfer as? I need a public speaking course for TESU

*Ding ding* Woo hoo! And if you take that course, that is what you will get!
It comes in and will work for Oral Communications requirement. Go get it!

I ended up taking Interpersonal Communications instead because WGU will only accept this or Public Speaking. I took the placement test for Presentation Skills afterwards out of curiosity and was pleasantly shocked to see that I was 60% through the course already!! Needless to say, I finished it in a jiffy for a quick 3 more credits!! Had no idea how much overlap there is between some SDC courses. This is amazing!!!

Is there a list or is it kind of try out courses in the same category and see?

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
WGU MBA-Healthcare Management 9/2021
Started 6/2/2021. Finished 8/30/21

WGU MSN-Nursing Informatics 1/2021
Started 8/14/20. Finished 12/28/2020

WGU RN-BSN 8/2020
Started 6/1/20  Finished 7/24/2020
Transferred in Sophia Stats, ICC American Government, SDC Interpersonal Communications, AAS Nursing

Credits Taken
SDC - Interpersonal Communications, Presentation Skills in the Workplace, Intro to Operating Systems, Intro to Programming, Systems Analysis & Design, Database Management - (100% modules, Incomplete Projects)
ICC - American Government
SL - Personal Finance 
TECEP - Medical Terminology
The Institutes - Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct 
TEEX - Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law/White Collar Crime
Sophia - Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict, Intro to IT, Intro to Statistics, Visual Communications, Human Biology, Project Management
CSM Learn- The CSM Course
DSST - Drugs and Society 436, Here's To Your Health 450, Computing and IT 461
AAS Nursing
Provider: Study.com
Course: Business 308: Globalization & International Management
Course content: Standard Study.com quizzes and lectures. 2 papers required
Final exam format: 70 multiple choice questions & the 2 papers
Final exam content vs course content/practice exams: it's the same
Time taken on course: a couple of weeks
Familiarity with subject before course: I have operated an international business for the last 20+ years
Pitfalls, high points, things others should know: This is pretty simple if you know anything about international business. Thanks to Trump, words like "tariff" and "quotas" and "free trade agreement" are in the news again and that will probably help alot to increase your background knowledge of the concepts of trade barriers. For some reason the final placed a huge emphasis on the difference between domestic trade and international trade, ie "If you live in London and sell something to Paris, is that domestic or international trade?" which I found bizarre but apparently they really wanted to hammer that home. There's a decent chunk on currency exchange rates as well.
1-10 Difficulty level: 3ish for me. If you don't know anything about international trade this could be kind of tough.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsh1138's post:
  • rachel83az
A BIG thank you for all of the reviews, especially the Straighterline classes as well as the other classes that might be a better choice for a BSBA at COSC. Starting with two CLEPS in August 2020 and will try to finish using SL, etc. in 18-24 months. Will post my Degree Plan when it is ready. Will also post comments on tests after I take them.

Has anyone ever attended the COSC graduation.

Cheers!
Course: Principles of Finance 101
Course content: Videos and transcripts, quizzes and a proctored final exam
Final exam format: 100 multiple choice
Final exam content vs course content/practice exams: The questions on the final exam were similar to the course questions however, I scored a 86 and a 94 on the practice exams but only scored a 67 on the proctored final.  I am sure questions are picked randomly for each test and I must of drew the set of questions for the final that were more difficult for me. 
Time taken on course: About a week at 3-5 hrs per day
Familiarity with subject before course: Basic knowledge of finance 
Pitfalls, high points, things others should know: Overall, not a difficult course but if you are not comfortable with using basic math/algebra to figure out things like the "future value of money", some concepts will more difficult to master but nothing the average person could not easily learn.  The difficultly of this course is remembering the formulas. Make sure to use the web based calculator during your final. 
1-10 Difficulty level: 3-4

Provider: Study.com
Course: Communications 120: Presentation Skills in the Workplace
Course content: Videos
Final exam format: 70 multiple choice 
Final exam content vs course content/practice exams: The quizzes and practice tests prepare you well for the final.  
Time taken on course: 2 Days
Familiarity with subject before course: 20 years as a manager at various companies makes easy work of this course for me, however, mostly common sense subject matter.  Not a lot of terms or principles to remember
Pitfalls, high points, things others should know: Complete the quizzes and you will do fine.
1-10 Difficulty level: 1.5 With little to no experience, maybe a 3!
WGU MBA 2022
WGU BSBA IT Management 2021
I'm done with school for a while. Time to go make some $ now!

Provider: Sophia Learning
Course: Introduction to Information Technology
Course content: Usual Sophia format, largely text based.
Final exam format: Multiple choice, drag and drop.
Final exam content vs course content/practice exams: Once you go through the material and do the exams, it is very easy to pass the test
Time taken on course: 2 days
Familiarity with subject before course: I am very familiar with content
Pitfalls, high points, things others should know: just read through everything, don't skip any material.
1-10 Difficulty level: 1
WGU MBA 2022

Course: Business 101: Principles of Management
Course content: 16 Chapters with 119 lessons (video and text), and 119 5 question quizzes. Quiz score determines passing score for final (minimum final grade is 55% assuming all quizzes are 100%. You get 3 attempts per quiz to get 100% score on the quiz.) Each chapter has a practice test and a 50-question practice final is available.
Final exam format: 100 multiple choice questions.
Final exam content vs course content/practice exams: It was probably 25% new material that had been presented in the lessons but not drilled.
Time taken on course: Approximately 16 hours.
Familiarity with subject before course: 20 years as a manager so yeah, but a lot of common sense stuff in this course.
Pitfalls, high points, things others should know: You can take placement tests to work through many of the lessons (meaning you don't have to take the quiz for the lesson). Each chapter has a non-graded practice test. This greatly influences how long it will take you to complete this course. These tests aren’t required and I wouldn’t bother with the chapter tests unless you are struggling with the course material. The average person can retain enough info to pass the final without completing the individual chapter tests.
1-10 Difficulty level: 2
WGU MBA 2022

Provider: Study.com
Course: Digital Marketing & Advertising
Course content: Videos and transcripts, quizzes, 3 papers and a proctored final exam
Final exam format: Mine had 70 questions
Final exam content vs course content/practice exams: The questions on the final exam were very similar to what was on the chapter quizzes and practice final. Using those as practice really helped. 
Familiarity with subject before course: I have a basic knowledge of the technology aspect, but most of the information was new.
Pitfalls, high points, things others should know: The content itself is not difficult. I found the most issues with the written assignments, especially the first one. Some of the information that I needed to include in the paper was not easily found and/or could not be found as that kind of information is not published. It also consists of TONS of research. 
1-10 Difficulty level: 2-3 content-wise, 5-6 paper-wise.
Provider: Sophia.org
Course: Ancient Greek Philosophers
Course content: The course is divided into sections on the Pre-Socratics, Socrates, Plato and Aristotle. Each section has built in quizzes, then you take a final
Final exam format: 25 multiple choice questions.
Final exam content vs course content/practice exams: The final is probably 90% about Socrates, Plato and Aristotle
Time taken on course: a couple of weeks
Familiarity with subject before course: I knew alot about Socrates and Aristotle
Pitfalls, high points, things others should know: I spent a ton of time on the Pre-Socratics and got 3 questions about them on the final. So I wouldn't do that. The final focuses heavily on Socrates, Plato, Aristotle and what they have in common as well as what separates their schools of thought.
1-10 Difficulty level: You get out what you put in
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsh1138's post:
  • RachelB
Course: Approaches to Studying Religions
Course content: The course is divided into several sections with a mini final at the end of each, and then a final at the end of the whole thing
Final exam content vs course content/practice exams: The tests are skewed towards the Eastern religions. Other than that about the same
Time taken on course: a couple of days
Familiarity with subject before course: I am very familiar with all of the major world religions except Hinduism
Pitfalls, high points, things others should know: There is almost nothing on the tests about Christianity or Judaism. Very little about Islam. Lots about Buddhism, Hinduism and Taoism

Course: Project Management
Course content: The course is divided into several sections with a mini final at the end of each, and then a final at the end of the whole thing
Final exam content vs course content/practice exams: It's about the same
Time taken on course: a couple of days
Familiarity with subject before course: I have managed a business for the last 20+ years and am very familiar with project management
Pitfalls, high points, things others should know: There is alot of jargon in this and it can be a bit confusing. If you read the lessons and look at the diagrams, it's doable

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 78 Yesterday, 07:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 371 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 39,279 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,470 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,788 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 600 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,861 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,389 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 6 545 03-03-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 261 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya