Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thomas Edison State University suspended indefinitely Shmoop courses
I wonder if it's because Shmoop's finals are unproctored.
(05-04-2018, 03:20 PM)Yenisei Wrote: I wonder if it's because Shmoop's finals are unproctored.
Seems a safe bet. I always thought it would be ACE that would crack down.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Alrighty. I'm totally in! We need to push back in some way. We have a right to more time to complete our *approved courses*. They've given their word in the past to honor our approved evaluations for the duration of enrollment, and they need to stick to that, or there is a major problem that goes beyond whether or not they accept Shmoop in the future. A month is a slap in the face to their students.
[-] The following 2 users Like FlyBoyEJ's post:
  • a2jc4life, jcasillas74
I would work through Shmoop, too. When TESU first tried to downgrade the study.com courses, study worked out an extended period to get them in.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • jcasillas74, Yenisei
(05-04-2018, 03:26 PM)FlyBoyEJ Wrote: Alrighty. I'm totally in! We need to push back in some way. We have a right to more time to complete our *approved courses*. They've given their word in the past to honor our approved evaluations for the duration of enrollment, and they need to stick to that, or there is a major problem that goes beyond whether or not they accept Shmoop in the future. A month is a slap in the face to their students.
It totally defeats the purpose of having your degree program approved. Mind you, I'm finishing my BSBA and didn't need Shmoop, but I was thinking about getting a second bachelor's in English. That said, happy to support the cause in whatever way I can.

(05-04-2018, 03:30 PM)davewill Wrote: I would work through Shmoop, too. When TESU first tried to downgrade the study.com courses, study worked out an extended period to get them in.
Smart.

(05-04-2018, 03:26 PM)FlyBoyEJ Wrote: Alrighty. I'm totally in! We need to push back in some way. We have a right to more time to complete our *approved courses*. They've given their word in the past to honor our approved evaluations for the duration of enrollment, and they need to stick to that, or there is a major problem that goes beyond whether or not they accept Shmoop in the future. A month is a slap in the face to their students.

A link to TESU's academic appeals policy:

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/a...nd-waivers.

Also, do they have a Facebook page?
Doesn't surprise me based on what I saw at shmoop. That stuff they have for the english/lit classes is crazy. It's like they've just reinterpreted classic works with valley girl sounding nonsense.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fork's post:
  • MSK9
(05-04-2018, 03:43 PM)fork Wrote: Doesn't surprise me based on what I saw at shmoop. That stuff they have for the english/lit classes is crazy. It's like they've just reinterpreted classic works with valley girl sounding nonsense.

Perhaps, but I think the main issue is that many students have had Shmoop courses approved and now have been given less than a month to complete them. Not cool.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jcasillas74's post:
  • a2jc4life
(05-04-2018, 03:46 PM)jcasillas74 Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 03:43 PM)fork Wrote: Doesn't surprise me based on what I saw at shmoop. That stuff they have for the english/lit classes is crazy. It's like they've just reinterpreted classic works with valley girl sounding nonsense.

Perhaps, but I think the main issue is that many students have had Shmoop courses approved and now have been given less than a month to complete them. Not cool.

Yeah if it's approved already people should be able to finish, but also if the courses are really that bad then it cheapens the degree. That's the last thing any of us should want.
RATS! I need 4 UL for BALS to graduate this summer. I need to complete this month while I finish my capstone so I am done by 6/30 to walk in September. So besides Study any other fast options? Price not really an issue, it's more speed. I'll go look at the Study courses again as well.
Wow, that's incredible. I'm sure as others have said it's because it's unproctored.

I think a lot of changes are coming to the way TESU accepts non-traditional credit, probably prompted by the school's new president. That's disappointing. If things keep going down this road, are we looking at a Big 2?
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • Life Long Learning

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 371 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,575 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,788 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,389 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 6 545 03-03-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 966 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,803 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Equivalents for Old SNHU Gen Ed Courses Spalmer 6 537 02-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Spalmer
  SeeMore courses other than CSM (or: has anyone transferred a non-ACE/NCCRS course?) vaticidalprophet 5 307 01-24-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 9 671 01-15-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat