Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thomas Edison State University suspended indefinitely Shmoop courses
(05-04-2018, 03:47 PM)fork Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 03:46 PM)jcasillas74 Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 03:43 PM)fork Wrote: Doesn't surprise me based on what I saw at shmoop. That stuff they have for the english/lit classes is crazy. It's like they've just reinterpreted classic works with valley girl sounding nonsense.

Perhaps, but I think the main issue is that many students have had Shmoop courses approved and now have been given less than a month to complete them. Not cool.

Yeah if it's approved already people should be able to finish, but also if the courses are really that bad then it cheapens the degree. That's the last thing any of us should want.
Agreed. If they don't want to accept Shmoop going forward, that's fine. But they should honor them if they've already been approved.
I submitted an ace transcript to them on 4/6/18 with an additional 12 credits from shmoop. I assume the eval would have been completed by next week. Do you guys think they’ll still include those credits? I don’t necessarily need them but it would be nice to have them as I spent time/money/energy on those courses. Does the unproctored nature of the courses have anything to do with this suspension of shmoop credits?
(05-04-2018, 03:54 PM)Paramedic12 Wrote: I submitted an ace transcript to them on 4/6/18 with an additional 12 credits from shmoop. I assume the eval would have been completed by next week. Do you guys think they’ll still include those credits? I don’t necessarily need them but it would be nice to have them as I spent time/money/energy on those courses. Does the unproctored nature of the courses have anything to do with this suspension of shmoop credits?

Those should be honored according to the email.

"Additional Shmoop courses documented as planned on your academic evaluation will also be honored but only if they were approved by an advisor prior to May 2, 2018. In order to have those approved transfer courses honored, we must receive your official ACE transcript with all approved courses listed as complete to Thomas Edison State University by May 30, 2018. "
My husband and I both have submitted ACE transcripts that have 30+ credits of Shmoop on April 2nd. I inquired a few days ago, when to expect the credit to be applied. The response was "you're not enrolled yet, and we only do 2 free evaluations but I will approve this evaluation, but you need to enroll." I wanted to see where everything would be applied and then finally enroll- now I'm afraid to, if this is the norm for TESU (not taking Shmoop!?). We were both planning on graduating December, but this may have set us back quite a bit, not only in time but money.
“Crazy people don't know they're crazy. I know I'm crazy, therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy?” 

― Captain Jack Sparrow
My Next Goal: Pondering Masters Program ??
Completed:  145+ Credits. Joined this forum October 2017 w/ 6 B&M Credits. Earned 117cr in 10 mo.! Graduated Sept 2019 TESU BSBA GM & ASNSM-CS
*SL 54 Cr *Shmoop 30 Cr +/- *Aleks 6 *Study.com 30+*TEEX 11 *CPCU 2 *B&M 6 
In Process:  Pondering  Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes scout2family's post:
  • fork
(05-04-2018, 03:54 PM)Paramedic12 Wrote: I submitted an ace transcript to them on 4/6/18 with an additional 12 credits from shmoop. I assume the eval would have been completed by next week. Do you guys think they’ll still include those credits? I don’t necessarily need them but it would be nice to have them as I spent time/money/energy on those courses. Does the unproctored nature of the courses have anything to do with this suspension of shmoop credits?

I'm curious... what is the process for getting a transcript from Shmoop and sending it to TESU? It would be nice to know a rough drop-dead date for finishing what I can, and getting a transcript in by the 30th.
so am I only the one who find these multi quote replies impossible to read or follow
[-] The following 3 users Like bluebooger's post:
  • dfrecore, fork, SDO
(05-04-2018, 04:00 PM)scout2family Wrote: My husband and I both have submitted ACE transcripts that have 30+ credits of Shmoop on April 2nd. I inquired a few days ago, when to expect the credit to be applied. The response was "you're not enrolled yet, and we only do 2 free evaluations but I will approve this evaluation, but you need to enroll." I wanted to see where everything would be applied and then finally enroll- now I'm afraid to, if this is the norm for TESU (not taking Shmoop!?). We were both planning on graduating December, but this may have set us back quite a bit, not only in time but money.

I'd like to know this too. I thought they would keep applying them to the eval as you sent them.
I just signed up for shmoop last week. I had no specific path in mind for TESU at the moment but this annoys me also. I have seen some things I liked there for future plans but will have to reconsider now.
I don't think it has anything to do with the courses being proctored or not. There are a lot of ACE recommended courses that aren't proctored. If it was a proctoring issue then I would think that would have been addressed between ACE and shmoop.
As with any ACE courses, it's up to the institution if they will accept them or not.
Perhaps they are wanting to reevaluate how they transfer the courses as they have done with study.com. I would venture to guess they get a lot of shmoop courses transferred in due to the cost. Probably daily. The indefinite suspension could be so that they can get a grasp and be able to provide a set date of when the changes occur.
(05-04-2018, 03:20 PM)Yenisei Wrote: I wonder if it's because Shmoop's finals are unproctored.

seems like a good bet
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

(05-04-2018, 04:12 PM)fork Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 04:00 PM)scout2family Wrote:  "you're not enrolled yet, and we only do 2 free evaluations but I will approve this evaluation, but you need to enroll." 

I'd like to know this too. I thought they would keep applying them to the eval as you sent them.

If you're in that "applied but not yet enrolled" period, then they will only do 2 evals.  Once you've taken a course or TECEP and are officially enrolled, THEN they apply credits as they come in.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • fork

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,439 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 995 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 711 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 469,344 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,911 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,047 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 2,088 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Equivalents for Old SNHU Gen Ed Courses Spalmer 6 599 02-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Spalmer
  SeeMore courses other than CSM (or: has anyone transferred a non-ACE/NCCRS course?) vaticidalprophet 5 340 01-24-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 9 714 01-15-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat