Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too many credits in one category-where do the extra credits go?
Apologies in advance if this is confusing. I am helping my DD's with their degree planning. They are going into their final year of classes (before they apply to TESU) and we are wondering where extra credits go when you have too many in one category? Here's an example: The General Education Requirements~Understanding the Physical and Natural World has a credit requirement of 4-7. My DD's took the Environmental Science DSST (ENS 200 at TESU) and Cybersecurity for Business Professionals from TEEX (CIS 344 at TESU), so they have 6 credits. How do those 'extra' two credits count? Do they stay in the category? Do two of them 'roll over' into general education electives? We are experiencing the same thing with Communication Electives (over the requirement by 1 credit). I am assuming that  these 'extra' credits do not move into electives, but I don't want to advise them incorrectly. Knowing the answer will help with degree planning for the final year since it looks like one DD will go into her last semester needing 4 general ed electives and 4 free electives. This is a pain because we are finding that most classes are only three credits so it leaves her needing one credit in each. Three credit classes are easy to find, but four credit and/or one credit classes have been a bit trickier.
(06-10-2019, 10:57 PM)PAMHarris Wrote: Apologies in advance if this is confusing. I am helping my DD's with their degree planning. They are going into their final year of classes (before they apply to TESU) and we are wondering where extra credits go when you have too many in one category? Here's an example: The General Education Requirements~Understanding the Physical and Natural World has a credit requirement of 4-7. My DD's took the Environmental Science DSST (ENS 200 at TESU) and Cybersecurity for Business Professionals from TEEX (CIS 344 at TESU), so they have 6 credits. How do those 'extra' two credits count? Do they stay in the category? Do two of them 'roll over' into general education electives? We are experiencing the same thing with Communication Electives (over the requirement by 1 credit). I am assuming that  these 'extra' credits do not move into electives, but I don't want to advise them incorrectly. Knowing the answer will help with degree planning for the final year since it looks like one DD will go into her last semester needing 4 general ed electives and 4 free electives. This is a pain because we are finding that most classes are only three credits so it leaves her needing one credit in each. Three credit classes are easy to find, but four credit and/or one credit classes have been a bit trickier.

Any extra credit in the specific GE areas rolls down to GE Electives, and any extras there roll down to Free Electives.  So if you end up with 61 or 62 total credits in the GE area, then you'll have 1 or 2 credits less than the requirement in the Free electives area.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-11-2019, 12:48 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Any extra credit in the specific GE areas rolls down to GE Electives, and any extras there roll down to Free Electives.  So if you end up with 61 or 62 total credits in the GE area, then you'll have 1 or 2 credits less than the requirement in the Free electives area.

Are you referring to excessive whole classes rolling over to other areas, or partial credits from an already used class rolling over? So for instance, the section requires 2-credits to complete, but you take a 3-Credit class. Does the excess 1-credit that wasn't needed roll over to another area or is it lost?
BSNS - Excelsior College - 2019

AASIO - Cochise College - 2012

It still counts toward your 120 credit total requirement...but it doesn't roll into fulfilling another category. Let's say you need 30 credits of Upper Level business, and two of the classes you transfer in are 4 credit courses. So you end up with 32. It checks off the requirement but that "extra" 2 credits doesn't go toward fulfilling another category. But still counts toward the 120 credit requirement to graduate.

You may end up with more than 120 credits. I did. I ended up with 139.
(06-10-2019, 10:57 PM)PAMHarris Wrote: Apologies in advance if this is confusing. I am helping my DD's with their degree planning. They are going into their final year of classes (before they apply to TESU) and we are wondering where extra credits go when you have too many in one category? Here's an example: The General Education Requirements~Understanding the Physical and Natural World has a credit requirement of 4-7. My DD's took the Environmental Science DSST (ENS 200 at TESU) and Cybersecurity for Business Professionals from TEEX (CIS 344 at TESU), so they have 6 credits. How do those 'extra' two credits count? Do they stay in the category? Do two of them 'roll over' into general education electives? We are experiencing the same thing with Communication Electives (over the requirement by 1 credit). I am assuming that  these 'extra' credits do not move into electives, but I don't want to advise them incorrectly. Knowing the answer will help with degree planning for the final year since it looks like one DD will go into her last semester needing 4 general ed electives and 4 free electives. This is a pain because we are finding that most classes are only three credits so it leaves her needing one credit in each. Three credit classes are easy to find, but four credit and/or one credit classes have been a bit trickier.

I ended up scrounging for a 1-credit class as well.  Luckily, I found the two free 1-credit courses at Sophia.org, "Developing Effective Teams" and "The Essentials of Managing Conflict."  I did both; they each took about and hour or two to complete and one of them fulfilled my 1-credit requirement on my degree plan
BSNS - Excelsior College - 2019

AASIO - Cochise College - 2012

(06-11-2019, 09:39 AM)TheMaskedMutant Wrote:
(06-11-2019, 12:48 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Any extra credit in the specific GE areas rolls down to GE Electives, and any extras there roll down to Free Electives.  So if you end up with 61 or 62 total credits in the GE area, then you'll have 1 or 2 credits less than the requirement in the Free electives area.

Are you referring to excessive whole classes rolling over to other areas, or partial credits from an already used class rolling over?  So for instance, the section requires 2-credits to complete, but you take a 3-Credit class.  Does the excess 1-credit that wasn't needed roll over to another area or is it lost?

Both.  This is for TESU in particular, different schools work in different ways.  So if you take a 4cr math course, and you only needed 3cr for math, then the remaining credit would just be 1 less credit you need in GE (so it basically rolls down to GE Electives).  If you take 3 math courses, and you only need 1, then 1 will go into Quant Lit, and the other 2 will go to GE Electives.

For GE only: So in essence, you start filling in your requirements (Written Comm, Oral Comm, Quant Lit, etc.) and go on down in order of priority.  When you get to everything filled in, and you have at least 60 credits, the rest start to go down to Free Electives.

None of this refers to the Major at all - that's completely different, depending on what your degree is.  This is just about GE and Free Electives.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
So I just want to make certain I understand this. In the original example: The General Education Requirements~Understanding the Physical and Natural World has a credit requirement of 4-7. My DD's took the Environmental Science DSST (ENS 200 at TESU) and Cybersecurity for Business Professionals from TEEX (CIS 344 at TESU), so they have 6 credits. How do those 'extra' two credits count? The answer to how they count at TESU would be-4 credits would meet the need for Understanding the Physical and Natural World and the extra 2 credits would 'roll down' into GE electives? Even if that is splitting up a class-ie.taking 1 credit from one class and putting it in spot A (Understanding the Physical and Natural World) and 2 credits from the same class would be placed in GE electives? Does the same thing happen in a Communications major?  One DD will be over in the Comm electives by 1 or 2 credits (depending on the last couple of classes she registers for). Will the 'extra' credits here roll down into free electives? DD is going to go over the 120 credits needed to graduate, but it also matters where the credits end up so we are trying to make certain we have all the requirements in each area met.
Again, it really depends on the degree. But for the GE Electives area for all degrees, you'll see that there is a range.

So for the BSBA, and having 6cr in science, the GE Electives area will have 18cr required. If your DD had taken a lab science, and there were the 4cr there, then you'd need 20cr in GE Electives.

For the Communications degree, the extra credits SHOULD roll up to the GE area, since all Comm courses are Liberal Studies, but I'm not certain that they will do that. SO, they may just roll down to the Free Electives area.

Your best bet, then, is to make sure that your GE area is filled, your major/AOS area is filled, and then the remaining courses, waivers of credits, extra credits, will all culminate in the Free Electives area. It's always better to take a couple of extra credits of GE courses than to take a bunch of free electives and hope everything comes in as you hope anyway.

Plus, this is kind of splitting hairs. If you're only talking 1-2 credits, it's easy enough to get those final credits if needed, possibly even for free. So don't sweat the small stuff, it's too easy to get caught up in that when you're planning, and get paralysis of the analysis.
Best way to think of it in my opinion is that GE electives and free electives aren't separate requirements, but that those are the "filler" credits to make sure you get 60 credits of GenEd and 120 total credits
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • alab21

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debate/speech competition transfer credits? Fave advisors? PLEX 4 160 03-20-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 236 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Organizational Leadership Cert SDC transfer credits Kones 5 470 02-10-2024, 03:48 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  What constitutes "new" credits for 2nd degree? homeschoolmom1 8 495 01-15-2024, 10:50 PM
  Emailing TESU about planning external credits into academic evaluation aperantosbias 9 611 12-29-2023, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
  Less Than 15 Credits Left for TESU Flat Rate Term mariobros1985 7 791 11-22-2023, 09:38 PM
  TESU AS in electronics. Transfer credits options? shows55 2 433 11-12-2023, 11:40 AM
  Competency based certifications for Electronics and Nuclear credits? sciencemathematics1 5 492 09-23-2023, 12:31 PM
  RA Credits from a Community College? mulhearnmusic 2 322 09-16-2023, 04:54 PM
Last Post: mulhearnmusic
  Is there a grade requirement to transfer credits? kowenboy 2 346 09-12-2023, 11:43 AM
Last Post: dfrecore