Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Took 6 Sophia Learning Courses in 2 months and passed them all, listing my thoughts
I'm not sure why "I went through it quickly" is translating to "It's too easy and shouldn't be a college course."

I went through a couple of the lower level classes quickly because I had PREVIOUS KNOWLEDGE of the subject. I'm also not "whizzing through it" and learning nothing. I ALREADY had an understanding of the subject. I didn't pass with a 70%. I passed with a high 90's. Look at my other post where I'm asking for help in a subject. Nearly every response is "do the bare minimum" but I was specifically asking for other sources to study so I would actually fully grasp the material.

There's absolutely no reason for name calling in this thread. If mods don't want these types of comments/posts, then a blanket ban (of the topic) is in order. Not name-calling and mudslinging.

There's bound to be a few topics I can get through quickly, and many more that I can't and will need to study rigorously. That doesn't make my education any less legitimate than yours.
Goal: Anything. Just need the paper. 
In Progress: last few 300-400 level, Am Gov
Complete: [Sophia]: CSMLearn, TEEX DI, Art History 2, English Comp 2, Sociology, Ethics, Project Management, Human Bio, US Hist2, Intro to Business, Microeconomics, Accounting, Finance, Greek Phil, Stats, Conflict Res (1CR), Visual Comm, Dev Effective Teams,  [SL]: Bus Law [ALEKS]: Intermediate Algebra [Institutes]: Ethics [CLEP]: Western Civ I [Murrray State University]: 5CR: MAT130 MAT230 4CR: GSC199 ENG105 CHE101 ITD107 PHY130/131 3CR: COM161 MAT117 ART121 HIS221 PSY180 CHN101 RGS200 CSC199 CET284 ECO230 JPN350 RES132 THD104 1CR: IDC199 MSU099

[-] The following 6 users Like lillingworth's post:
  • LongRoad, Muldoon, NoStudentNoCry, rachel83az, ss20ts, warriortaupou
(05-22-2020, 06:59 AM)lillingworth Wrote: I'm not sure why "I went through it quickly" is translating to "It's too easy and shouldn't be a college course."

I went through a couple of the lower level classes quickly because I had PREVIOUS KNOWLEDGE of the subject.

The point was that some members stated that they went through it quickly AND they DID NOT have prior knowledge.
MSML, WGU 2022
BAS, UMPI, 2021
AAS, Pierpont C&TC, 2021

ACE (119): Sophia, 93; TEEX, 5; SDC, 12; ACTFL, 6
RA (50): ASU, 8; ONU, 3; UMPI, 39
NA (16) : UoPeople, 16
Other: ENEB/Isabel I, MBA (2021)
Also dropped a gazillion of classes!!

Family members work on degrees at Ashworth, TESU, Purdue, UMPI, NationsU
In this thread, I see where someone said that it's "possible" to go through a class without learning anything (but specifically said they took time to learn the material), but I can't find where someone stated they had no prior knowledge and zipped through it...

Maybe I missed something.
Goal: Anything. Just need the paper. 
In Progress: last few 300-400 level, Am Gov
Complete: [Sophia]: CSMLearn, TEEX DI, Art History 2, English Comp 2, Sociology, Ethics, Project Management, Human Bio, US Hist2, Intro to Business, Microeconomics, Accounting, Finance, Greek Phil, Stats, Conflict Res (1CR), Visual Comm, Dev Effective Teams,  [SL]: Bus Law [ALEKS]: Intermediate Algebra [Institutes]: Ethics [CLEP]: Western Civ I [Murrray State University]: 5CR: MAT130 MAT230 4CR: GSC199 ENG105 CHE101 ITD107 PHY130/131 3CR: COM161 MAT117 ART121 HIS221 PSY180 CHN101 RGS200 CSC199 CET284 ECO230 JPN350 RES132 THD104 1CR: IDC199 MSU099

It's also possible to go through most B&M college courses without learning anything. That those students have to wait 8-12 weeks to get their final exams so that they can move on to the next class that they're not going to pay attention in doesn't make either online or in-person harder or more difficult or one "more real" than the other. When talking about in-person classes, you will always find groups of people who found it so easy that they barely needed to study at all and others who studied every day and barely squeaked by with a C.

In this forum, there's selection bias. We barely hear from the people who had issues getting a particular credit. Nobody wants to brag about how they had to retake a certain class 3 times before they passed.
[-] The following 7 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • jsd, kevie, lillingworth, LongRoad, Muldoon, mzcutie85, ss20ts
Why was this festering pile resurrected?

I'm taking Conflict Resolution currently and I'm using all of the tools it's teaching me to calm myself and not get banned by telling the types of people that start and/or help threads like these proliferate, what I think of them. It literally makes me sick how selfish, and lacking in self-awareness one would have to be to boast in this way on here. A masterclass in narcissism and pettiness.

I'm of course not just talking about this thread, there are a bunch of people on here that are just......
[-] The following 1 user Likes ARhead's post:
  • jsd
(05-22-2020, 09:15 AM)ARhead Wrote: Why was this festering pile resurrected?

Resurrected?  It's eleven days old.  Exactly how old does a thread on this forum have to be before it's considered "dead"?

I'm on other forums where clueless newbs stumble in and post responses in threads that are nine, ten, even twelve years old.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ctcarl's post:
  • ss20ts
(05-11-2020, 05:15 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Here's EC's policy:  

"Excelsior College will accept examinations for credit which meet the psychometric and academic standards of the College.  This includes examination programs recommended for credit by the American Council on Education (ACE) as published in their Guide to Educational Credit by Examination."

No "may" or "generally" there.

"which meet the psychometric and academic standards of the College" means may or generally.

I know with 100% certainty that there are 25 Study.com courses that are ACE-recommended that EC does not take.  Minimum.

And there's a page on Study.com that shows which courses EC accepts and what they transfer into as. EC doesn't hide anything with this. They say upfront wheat will transfer and what it will transfer as. There's nothing that says they must accept every single course.
(05-22-2020, 09:01 AM)rachel83az Wrote: It's also possible to go through most B&M college courses without learning anything.

Exactly this. This is an issue not restricted to one form of education (or, as I touched on in my last post, even education itself).

I don't see the point in trying to hide discussion that this happens - it's not going to stop it happening. Universities can see when they get a transcript with 6 courses of 3 ACE credits acquired in a single week, for several weeks in a row - so it's not like posting here is letting some well-kept secret out.

Some people are lazy, and some people aren't. This is, quite literally, a fact of life, and is no cause for panic.
[-] The following 5 users Like innen_oda's post:
  • ARhead, ctcarl, Muldoon, rachel83az, ss20ts
I'm sorry to say but I accidentally clicked the like button on the post above, and I'm not sure one can reverse that....
(05-22-2020, 01:39 PM)innen_oda Wrote: Universities can see when they get a transcript with 6 courses of 3 ACE credits acquired in a single week, for several weeks in a row - so it's not like posting here is letting some well-kept secret out.

Succinctly put.

(05-22-2020, 01:39 PM)innen_oda Wrote: I don't see the point in trying to hide discussion that this happens - it's not going to stop it happening. Universities can see when they get a transcript with 6 courses of 3 ACE credits acquired in a single week, for several weeks in a row - so it's not like posting here is letting some well-kept secret out.

Succinctly put.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Speed of Completion of Sophia.org Courses colonelcamp 4 114 1 hour ago
Last Post: LevelUP
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 119 62,761 Yesterday, 02:58 PM
Last Post: gamebradie
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 12 491 04-24-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 6 923 04-23-2024, 03:22 PM
Last Post: hsufeng
  Sophia Human Biology lab tdat314 1 138 04-22-2024, 06:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 545 04-18-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,472 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 775 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 1,019 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 271 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77