Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transcript Translation
I'm having my credits evaluated (I will probably be going with ACEI) to then be able to transfer them to TESU. Since my transcript isn't in English, I first need to have it translated. For the credit evaluation, the process is fairly straightforward, and I don't mind paying in the $300+ range to get a quality result and possibly have more credits accepted/transferred. However, for the transcript translation, while credit evaluation companies also offer this service, it is usually in the $300 range—which is unreasonable. 

Credit evaluation companies offer the option of us providing our own translation, done by an accredited translator. Apart from accreditation, no further information is given. While I don't want to pay exuberant prices for a small amount of translation work (raising the total cost of the credit evaluation to around $700), I don't want to lose potential credits because I opted for not taking the in-house translation service. I've called and emailed both WES (my initial choice) and ACEI, but this has provided no further information.

For those who have gone through this process, or know about it:
  • How do I find a good translation service/translator, which follows credit evaluation standards—and from this, increasing my chances of having the most credits transferred?
  • Does  the quality and variations of the transcript translation have an affect on how many credits will be evaluated and then potentially transferred? 
Most schools are not going to just take a translated copy of a transcript. They want an evaluation, and they will normally list who to go through. If it's one of the Big 3, they have lists online. EC will take almost any of them, TESU has a list of about 8, COSC only accepts WES or ECE.

So figure out where you want to go, and then follow their guidelines.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-01-2018, 01:42 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Most schools are not going to just take a translated copy of a transcript.  They want an evaluation, and they will normally list who to go through.  If it's one of the Big 3, they have lists online.  EC will take almost any of them, TESU has a list of about 8, COSC only accepts WES or ECE.

So figure out where you want to go, and then follow their guidelines.

Hi drecore,

Yes, I know. I'm following the procedure for what is needed for a credit evaluation. However, for some people, our transcript isn't in English, so it must first be translated. This is what I am asking about.
I was under the assumption that the eval included the translation. Is that not the case?
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-01-2018, 11:54 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I was under the assumption that the eval included the translation.  Is that not the case?

I also was. Is that not the point of that service???

OP, I would suggest contacting one of the listed companies on the schools website you plan to attend. I find it unlikely they will accept a transcript translated by someone outside of their company.
(11-02-2018, 09:41 AM)jjsafari Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 11:54 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I was under the assumption that the eval included the translation.  Is that not the case?

I also was. Is that not the point of that service???

OP, I would suggest contacting one of the listed companies on the schools website you plan to attend. I find it unlikely they will accept a transcript translated by someone outside of their company.

The point of the service is foreign transcript evaluation, not translation. This is why there would be a separate fee for this, or the applicant has to have it done somewhere else first.

Not all transcripts are in another language, for example: Canada, UK, Australia, etc.
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
[-] The following 1 user Likes zzzz24's post:
  • pws
(11-02-2018, 09:41 AM)jjsafari Wrote: I also was. Is that not the point of that service???

I've contacted two of the biggest credit evaluation companies available—they evaluate credits, but for transcripts that aren't in English, they need an accompanying translation. Most credit evaluation companies offer translation as a side service, but at exuberant prices. However, they also give you the option to have your transcript translated by an accredited translator, or any other translation service which uses accredited translators (and anyone who has used or worked for these translation companies knows that most aren't of high quality at all).

The issue is that, while it is good that they don't obligate you to use their in-house translation service, the only instructions they give of what criteria they are expecting translation-wise is 'he/she must be accredited'. I've tried emailing and calling them, but other than accreditation, I am basically left in the dark. Since I don't know to what extent translation of the transcript affects how many credits might be evaluated as transferrable, I am trying to look for people who might know how to proceed.
(11-02-2018, 08:02 PM)pws Wrote:
(11-02-2018, 09:41 AM)jjsafari Wrote: I also was. Is that not the point of that service???

I've contacted two of the biggest credit evaluation companies available—they evaluate credits, but for transcripts that aren't in English, they need an accompanying translation. Most credit evaluation companies offer translation as a side service, but at exuberant prices. However, they also give you the option to have your transcript translated by an accredited translator, or any other translation service which uses accredited translators (and anyone who has used or worked for these translation companies knows that most aren't of high quality at all).

The issue is that, while it is good that they don't obligate you to use their in-house translation service, the only instructions they give of what criteria they are expecting translation-wise is 'he/she must be accredited'. I've tried emailing and calling them, but other than accreditation, I am basically left in the dark. Since I don't know to what extent translation of the transcript affects how many credits might be evaluated as transferrable, I am trying to look for people who might know how to proceed.

I think I would work with the translator service to make sure that the translation is a good one.  Probably very easily done, since you're fluent in both languages.  Just check their work after they're done to make sure it's correct.
(11-03-2018, 01:10 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I think I would work with the translator service to make sure that the translation is a good one.  Probably very easily done, since you're fluent in both languages.  Just check their work after they're done to make sure it's correct.

Yes, that would work to some extent. However, what I wouldn't be able to check would be the naming of courses, which I have no knowledge about or have access to any reference resources. Even if the name of a course is translated perfectly, if the name of the same course has a completely different name in the US, that would possibly result in lost/non-transferred credits. 

If someone knowledgeable on the procedures and process could share his/her experiences, or point me somewhere, that would be great.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Schools that list A+'s on transcript in any way? JumbledSpirit 3 295 02-19-2024, 06:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  ASU CIS-194 Transcript vesparza15 3 554 10-13-2023, 10:47 AM
Last Post: vesparza15
  International Transcript Evaluation bradonomics 14 1,216 06-27-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Lost transcript mlohjj 13 1,214 11-15-2022, 02:01 PM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  Transcript hold at college. How to finish CS degree elsewhere? HawkofDarkness 35 2,762 10-18-2022, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  Transcript Designations vintage_jacket 2 579 09-08-2022, 03:29 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  My master "Omni Transcript" jsd 26 6,407 09-03-2022, 02:53 PM
Last Post: jsd
Lightbulb "Arizona State Wants to Revolutionize the College Transcript" jsd 6 1,308 08-12-2021, 10:06 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Admissions/Transcript issues *ugh* Vle045 12 1,557 07-17-2021, 04:34 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Templates: High School/Home School Diploma & Transcript bjcheung77 1 1,090 06-03-2021, 06:32 PM
Last Post: P226mem