Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Troubles Grow for a University Built on Profits (U Phoenix)
Troubles Grow for a University Built on Profits - New York Times

The University of Phoenix

The complaints have built through months of turmoil. The president resigned, as did the chief executive and other top officers at the Apollo Group, the university’s parent corporation. A federal court reinstated a lawsuit accusing the university of fraudulently obtaining hundreds of millions of dollars in financial aid. The university denies wrongdoing. Apollo stock fell so far that in November, CNBC featured it on a “Biggest Losers” segment. The stock has since gained back some ground. In November, the Intel Corporation excluded the university from its tuition reimbursement program, saying it lacked top-notch accreditation.
Not trying to bad Mouth but I had bad exprience with getting help and information from the faculty when I was at UOP, I was a student at Phoenix, until last Month, and thank goodness I came to this Forum and learnt about the Big three.
The adminstrators are excellent at persuing students to Enroll and very slow at answering any questions.
I was pushed to the edge when I found out a DSST Exam that I wrote from UOP burlington campus on February 17 2007 was not sent for marking by March 6th. I It took me calling them after I noticed that DSST had not charged my credit card for the Exam, I called DSST and they said they had not recieved by Exam, when I called UOP my academic counsellor believe it or not told me she was still making sure I had filled in the right information before she mailed my Exam.
This and many other issues made me decide to enroll with EC
Reply to the NY times from Bill Pepicello
President, University of Phoenix
Phoenix, Feb. 13, 2007

For-Profit University (1 Letter) - New York Times

Facts about UOP:

The Facts About University of Phoenix
Ronin Smile
[COLOR="Blue"]

What's left:

Excelsior Ethics exam

BSB Excelsior College Cool

[/COLOR]
Unforunately, I completed a great deal of my undergrad studies at one of UOP's northern California campus, and the experience was not one to remember. Of the 15 classes I took, over half were taught by less than desirable teachers.

Calboy
I am very near finishing my dgree at UoP and I will be the very last to say it is a university without flaws. But I will also point out that it was the foresight of the founders that identified the opportunity that existed in online education and adult learners. Far too many universities even today cater to kids fresh out of high school and ignore older students who have other responsibilities that prevent them from attending regularly scheduled classes.
I happen to be one of those students. Were it not for UoP, I don't know that I would be getting my degree now. For that I am thankful.

I have read the lawsuit that was pressed against the school and it appears some mid-level managers were encouraging sales people into some questionable practices and for this a lawsuit to determine the schools culpability may well be in order. However, let us not through out the baby with the bath water. The school is offering a great education for students who may not be able to get one at a traditional brick and mortar school. And if the founders have made billions in the process, and they have, so be it. I wish I had been able to capitalize on the idea myself.
I graduate this month from a UoP ground campus.
I must say that the instructors/facilitators and classes at the ground campus were great. The administration and students/learning teams were horrendous.
For a student like me the learning teams really did detract from the learning experience more than enhance it.
I would have rather have been an independent learner.
Nothing wrong with having a profit motive. Usually you have better results that way.
Excelsior, BS, pursuing degree

Completed:
CLEP: Hum. (67), Hist. of U.S. I (74), Hist. of U.S. II (71), Intro. Psych. (69), Intro. Soc. (72), Soc. Sci. and Hist. (74), Western Civ I (72), Western Civ II (70), Am. Lit. (60), Intro. to Educ. Psych. (62), P. of Management (74), P. of Market. (74), Intro. Bus. Law (67), P. of Accounting (60), AmGov (68)
DSST: Ethics in Am. (76), P. of Super.(67), HRM (65), Intro to Bus. (70), MIS (65), P. of Fin (62), M&B (65), P. of Stat. (68)
ECE: OB (B)
TECEP:: IntFin, SecAna

Others

Total Credits: 129
Whatever happened in America to the idea that there is nothing wrong with profit, but pursued with integrity! Not making money off of lying but through honest, hard work and looking out for your neighbor. I sometimes wonder where that good old fashioned "middle" America ideal has gone.
I wouldn't say that UoP's profit is "fair" profit based on hard work by the University. Actually I would call their entire scheme a ripoff.
[COLOR="Blue"]Excelsior College
102 credits complete
20 UL Credits to go (7 tests)
BS Liberal Studies
Area of Focus:Computer Information Science
[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]Next test:
Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union (August 6th)[/COLOR]

You could take 25 DSST tests or 27 CLEP tests for the price of 1 UoP class.
I know I've asked before but is excelsior affordable. I my just extremely unhappy with my job and I like to do get a bachelors in nursing with out going into debt. I been afraid to enroll due to $1000 or whatever it is per year just to be a student.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  For Sale: Young Online University in California bjcheung77 19 2,458 09-26-2023, 10:18 AM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Abide University Honorary Doctors Degree bjcheung77 0 573 07-07-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Having a dilemma about University Personherebb9 12 1,888 06-07-2023, 06:09 PM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  Microsoft launches the new Bing, with ChatGPT 4 built in LevelUP 1 626 02-10-2023, 01:47 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  What is the difference between College and University (USA) Personherebb9 8 1,309 12-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  University / Colleges with Grammarly? msa145 1 740 12-18-2022, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Vle045
Exclamation Boston University Doctors Create New COVID Variant that Has 80% Kill Rate LevelUP 10 1,075 10-20-2022, 03:34 PM
Last Post: inf
  American University Alpha 1 569 08-26-2022, 04:36 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  University Biologist Resigns Alpha 5 836 08-10-2022, 05:51 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Canadian University looking to fill a niche position... bjcheung77 0 511 04-26-2022, 03:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77