Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying to come up with a plan
Hello,

Found this forum recently, and to say it's a bit of information overload would be an understatement!

Hopefully I can get some general and specific help here. My goal is just to get a degree. I don't much care what it is in, as i hope to go on to a masters in what I am interested in. So, I guess I am trying to find the cheapest/fastest/easiest route.

Though I had my old classes evaluated at excelsior, am I by no means committed there.

I decided to pay the $75 to excelsior to see where i stand, as i have a variety of credits from the military, and three different colleges i attended.

Wanted to see if i could get some help figuring out a road map for myself.

I appreciate any feedback/comments/help, thank you.

Here is what excelsior had to say...

credits given:
total hours: 35
written english: 3
humanities: 3
social science/history: 6
natural science/math: 5
applied professional: 18
upper applied professional: 4

classes taken:
intro to psych
enlish comp 1&2
intermediate algebra
intro to sociology
computers 120: intro
misc microsoft cert credits
Welcome to the forum!

What are you planning for grad school? Will it have any prerequisites or other requirements for admission?

Are you interested in credit-by-exam? If so, Liberal Studies (with or without an Area of Focus) and the General Business degree can be completed through tests, plus the capstone course at EC. They have made lots of changes to other Liberal Arts degrees, so we are waiting for a new catalog with more details.

It's normal to feel overwhelmed with all of this new info at first. Understanding college policies is like learning a new language. Transferring to the Big 3 is a different language, too. We'll be here to help you figure it out.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Changes to LS degree? Will the affect those already enrolled?
Demo18cc Wrote:Changes to LS degree? Will the affect those already enrolled?

No, as far as I know, there have not been any more changes to the Liberal Studies degree. (We'll have to double-check in the new catalog.) Usually, being enrolled should lock-in any old policies, but that is not always the case. There have been quite a few changes to the majors being offered in the School of Liberal Arts, meaning there have been several majors added and others have been removed. Students enrolled in the "old" majors which are no longer being offered received a letter and were given until late 2015 to finish them.

More info on the new majors is available here:

Degree Programs

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

Thanks for your reply. Grad school is my eventual plan, yes. There are no prereqs I need to worry about.

I am interested in credit by exam. So, given things are in flux, should I also be waiting for more details, re the new catalog?

Or are there any generic roadmaps for liberal studies or general business? I tried searching, but a lot of what I read seems like old information

thank you
Yes, it would be okay to start roughing out a degree plan. That would give you something to work with and use to compare the other degrees and schools.

Start by downloading the "Degree Chart". These are current.

Liberal Studies - Excelsior College | Program Details

General Business - Excelsior College | Program Details

Also, download the Student Guide to Credit by Exam, so you can start filling in your plan with exams that interest you. (Keep checking for an updated Student Guide and Catalog for the degree(s) that interests you.)
School Catalogs - excelsior.edu

They have given quite a few details on the new Liberal Arts degrees. Click on each major. (Some are more testable than others.)
Degree Programs

Post your plan and we can provide feedback. In particular, I can help you more with Liberal Studies and General Business.

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,259 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 684 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Supreme Court STRIKES DOWN Biden's $400 billion student loan forgiveness "plan" LevelUP 2 643 07-01-2023, 01:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Finlandia University - Plan didn't work...failed to save itself! bjcheung77 6 864 05-19-2023, 10:54 AM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  UMass Global plan expansion! bjcheung77 1 759 07-16-2022, 12:36 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Tuition-Free College Movement Gains Momentum, Despite Biden’s Stalled Plan LevelUP 6 1,512 03-06-2022, 08:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  UNC’s $97 Million Plan bjcheung77 4 975 12-13-2021, 12:51 PM
  Help with AA plan? iwantmydegreeplz 7 1,875 01-15-2020, 10:40 AM
Last Post: allvia
  Need Help with a Plan Kibl 8 1,700 11-15-2019, 11:13 PM
Last Post: terryd5150
Exclamation BS/BA Degree plan using ACE/Straighterline Credits breezy55 1 1,481 11-13-2019, 02:13 PM