Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMPI MAOL vs WGU MSML?
Im almost done with my undergrad at UMPI. I'm seriously considering going for either the MAOL at UMPI or the MSML at WGU. Ive read on the board that the MSML is faster, while the MAOL is a metric ton of writing, but it is cheaper. Which one do you think would be the better time and money investment? Are there other positives or negatives about the two programs I should be aware of? Any advice is appreciated! Thank you!
(01-07-2023, 03:04 PM)Jwheels27 Wrote: Im almost done with my undergrad at UMPI. I'm seriously considering going for either the MAOL at UMPI or the MSML at WGU. Ive read on the board that the MSML is faster, while the MAOL is a metric ton of writing, but it is cheaper. Which one do you think would be the better time and money investment? Any advice is appreciated! Thank you!

I would say it depends on your funding and how much you want to write. Does it come easy for you? I hate writing so I'd pay extra NOT to write.
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
[-] The following 2 users Like suzycupcake's post:
  • ashkir, LevelUP
(01-07-2023, 03:04 PM)Jwheels27 Wrote: Im almost done with my undergrad at UMPI. I'm seriously considering going for either the MAOL at UMPI or the MSML at WGU. Ive read on the board that the MSML is faster, while the MAOL is a metric ton of writing, but it is cheaper. Which one do you think would be the better time and money investment? Are there other positives or negatives about the two programs I should be aware of? Any advice is appreciated! Thank you!

Who says the MAOL is cheaper? It's $2K per session. The chances of someone completing it in 2 sessions is extremely slim. Yes, there was 1 person who did it, but they used a great deal of their work documentation in several courses which isn't going to be a possibility for most people. Not on that level as I believe he owned his own company and was the CEO. 

One thing to consider. Do you want a degree from a school that has a campus or is 100% known for being an online school? This matters to some people. 

I do know one of the UMPI professors for the MAOL is a COMPLETE PITA. I had him for 3 classes as an undergrad and he is extremely difficult. Wants things that aren't in the instructions or rubric. Random things that are never ever brought up in the course content. He's a VERY tough grader as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • origamishuttle
(01-07-2023, 06:31 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(01-07-2023, 03:04 PM)Jwheels27 Wrote: Im almost done with my undergrad at UMPI. I'm seriously considering going for either the MAOL at UMPI or the MSML at WGU. Ive read on the board that the MSML is faster, while the MAOL is a metric ton of writing, but it is cheaper. Which one do you think would be the better time and money investment? Are there other positives or negatives about the two programs I should be aware of? Any advice is appreciated! Thank you!

Who says the MAOL is cheaper? It's $2K per session. The chances of someone completing it in 2 sessions is extremely slim. Yes, there was 1 person who did it, but they used a great deal of their work documentation in several courses which isn't going to be a possibility for most people. Not on that level as I believe he owned his own company and was the CEO. 

One thing to consider. Do you want a degree from a school that has a campus or is 100% known for being an online school? This matters to some people. 

I do know one of the UMPI professors for the MAOL is a COMPLETE PITA. I had him for 3 classes as an undergrad and he is extremely difficult. Wants things that aren't in the instructions or rubric. Random things that are never ever brought up in the course content. He's a VERY tough grader as well.
Oh I got the vibe people were getting the MAOL done in two sessions, my bad. Yeah it doesn’t really bother me to get a masters fully online. Ok sounds to me like the MSML would be about the same price and take less time. I think I know which direction I’m leaning in. Thank you for the advice, I didn’t know it was taking people that many sessions to finish and I wasn’t aware of the strict professor. Again thank you!
I haven't seen anyone complete the MAOL in 2 sessions. I saw 1 person complete it in 1 session and no one else. It is a lot of writing. I didn't do it because of the amount of writing. For my MBA elsewhere I probably wrote about the same.
Didn't ashkir do it in 2, thought he could do it in one? From how he described it, though, I think it sounds like most people would need 3 sessions. It's just that ashkir is a maniac when it comes to writing papers. Big Grin

(He also had plenty of prior experience that applied, IIRC.)
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ashkir
Another bonus for selecting WGU or a different University than UMPI is the academic exposure to a diverse set of ideas. It's not a written rule, but there are a decent amount of opinions expressing the value of expanding your academic journey outside of the university you earned your bachelor's degree.

Surprised to read how few have been able to complete the degree in two terms, especially considering the transfer courses from the BABA Management and Leaderdegerr or those that have taken UL Business courses in their Liberal Arts degree. I've read the page count average in the MAOL, and even though they are much higher, it did not seem that difficult. However, perhaps it feels different in it and becomes even harder with a challenging professor requesting revisions.
Virginia University of Lynchburg Doctorate of Healthcare Administration 2024
Universidad Isabel I / ENEB MBA & Master in Big Data and Business Intelligence, summa cum laude
University of Presque Isle BABA Management and Leadership, magna cum lauda
RANSOMSOUL
(01-08-2023, 03:47 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Didn't ashkir do it in 2, thought he could do it in one? From how he described it, though, I think it sounds like most people would need 3 sessions. It's just that ashkir is a maniac when it comes to writing papers. Big Grin

(He also had plenty of prior experience that applied, IIRC.)

He did it in 24 weeks which is 3 sessions. He had 3 classes transfer from his bachelor's to the MAOL so it was 9 classes instead of 12. This isn't the case for everyone.

(01-08-2023, 04:03 PM)KSoul Wrote: Surprised to read how few have been able to complete the degree in two terms, especially considering the transfer courses from the BABA Management and Leaderdegerr or those that have taken UL Business courses in their Liberal Arts degree. I've read the page count average in the MAOL, and even though they are much higher, it did not seem that difficult. However, perhaps it feels different in it and becomes even harder with a challenging professor requesting revisions.

There are FAR more Milestones and the Final Assessment is multiple papers. It's much more complex than the bachelor's degrees. The level of writing is up a level as well. Different professors as they aren't from UMPI. They all have doctorates which makes them expect a different level of work. I had 1 of the professors for 3 of my marketing classes and he was really difficult and is just as difficult in the MAOL. He's not from UMPI but UMFK. 

Everyone who goes onto the MAOL doesn't complete the BABA with Management and Leadership Concentration. You have to know about those 3 undergrad courses in advance to take them.
Based on what others have written, it seems overall milestones kill many students' joy. A requirement that does not impact your grades is always harder to knock out than activities that affect your grade.

Knowing what degree helps or classes transfer in the MAOL is on the student. If you are not resourceful with these degrees, you are the only one to blame. Plenty of posts in the forum break down the information in detail.
Virginia University of Lynchburg Doctorate of Healthcare Administration 2024
Universidad Isabel I / ENEB MBA & Master in Big Data and Business Intelligence, summa cum laude
University of Presque Isle BABA Management and Leadership, magna cum lauda
RANSOMSOUL
(01-08-2023, 04:54 PM)KSoul Wrote: Knowing what degree helps or classes transfer in the MAOL is on the student. If you are not resourceful with these degrees, you are the only one to blame. Plenty of posts in the forum break down the information in detail.

UMPI doesn't really make this info easily available. I was accepted into the program and still wasn't made aware of the classes transferring from my undergrad degree. I only found out after I decided to go elsewhere from ashkir when he was in the program. He wasn't made aware at the beginning either. I think he had completed 2 courses when he was told. Keep in mind that most of the world doesn't read this forum and you have to know what to search for.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • jonharrington910

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  best MBA/Masters in Finance programs after UMPI? CFPhopeful 7 506 04-07-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Mjake260
  Cheapest/Easiest Master's? Hellenic, WGU, UMPi? mohelena02 19 1,847 03-18-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  MAOL Advice - UMPI/Brandman ashkir 13 2,389 02-26-2024, 07:11 AM
Last Post: KSoul
  Engineering Masters with UMPI liberal studies bachelors tmikula 8 1,123 01-22-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Any Master programs similar to UMPI? Ebroady23 6 1,387 10-04-2023, 04:25 PM
Last Post: xspect
  Starting my WGU MSML Oct 1st mohelena02 33 5,045 04-06-2023, 07:30 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  WGU MSML and MBA Sb2013 11 1,798 03-06-2023, 01:17 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  master of arts in organizational leadership umpi kimmyk 2 1,202 11-28-2022, 06:01 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Accepted into WGU MSML and UTPB MBA mohelena02 11 1,538 08-28-2022, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Cowabunga Dude
  WGU MSML vs UMPI MOAL vs UMass MOAL mohelena02 4 1,806 06-20-2022, 12:40 PM
Last Post: ashkir