Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMPI Yourpace computer requirements?
It looks like the UMPI Yourpace programs only require you have Microsoft Office and and Internet connection.  I see a lot of references to Zoom, so I expect that is also required.  I have Windows and Mac computers, but I am always curious if a college supports ChromeOS laptops (Chromebooks), or a particular flavor of Linux.  ChromeOS seems to be officially supported more and more often.  Linux seems to remain unofficially allowed at a lot of schools.  

Anyone go through Yourpace using ChromeOS or Linux?

"Internet access and Microsoft Office are required for the YourPace program."

https://online.umpi.edu/faqs/
It depends on your degree program. BUS345 require MS Access which isn't available on Mac. BUS245 requires a programming language and there are some things you have you to download and run. I used Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, VB, and Zoom. I don't think a Chromebook will work because you can only access the Internet with them. You need to be able to download and save files. You'll need to download the file sent back after you submit your rough draft to make your changes. There are courses where you need more than the online version of Office as well. I don't know anything about Linux, but again you'll need different software. All fo the software is provided by UMPI or it's free such as Zoom and VB.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • pluggingalong
I found a more detailed page for the University of Maine schools. It says Windows or Mac are supported, while Chromebooks are not recommended.

"Chromebooks will work for most use cases, but are generally not recommended as there are certain applications that are not compatible."

https://www.maine.edu/information-techno...et-access/
Yeah, it really depends, most schools it all depends on their proctoring service they go with. Such as CLEP and taking the CLEP at home, the proctoring software only works in Windows 10, won't work if people have upgraded to Windows 11. Since you have a few laptops or PC to use, you shouldn't need to worry.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • pluggingalong
(09-28-2022, 02:23 PM)pluggingalong Wrote: I found a more detailed page for the University of Maine schools.  It says Windows or Mac are supported, while Chromebooks are not recommended.

"Chromebooks will work for most use cases, but are generally not recommended as there are certain applications that are not compatible."

https://www.maine.edu/information-techno...et-access/

Again it will depend on the class. BUS245 and BUS345 will need a Windows based computer. There is no Mac version of Access. The programming is Windows based as well in BUS245.
  • pluggingalong
Currently, I am in a town with high-speed cable internet, and everything works great. I have considered moving to a more rural area, but expect I would end up with satellite-internet that has a high-latency (not the new Starlink). I believe UMPI uses Zoom a lot, so I plan to stay in areas with cable internet. Also, if UMPI uses proctored online exams, those probably require good 2-way video connections. I was just curious if anyone had success with the online (Yourpace) path, while having high-latency internet? High-latency meaning you have good download speed, and moderate upload speed, but terrible switching between downloading and uploading. You can usually watch online movies and stuff just fine, but 2-way video and online-games are too jittery, and usually disconnect.
(09-29-2022, 12:37 AM)pluggingalong Wrote: Currently, I am in a town with high-speed cable internet, and everything works great.  I have considered moving to a more rural area, but expect I would end up with satellite-internet that has a high-latency (not the new Starlink). I believe UMPI uses Zoom a lot, so I plan to stay in areas with cable internet.  Also, if UMPI uses proctored online exams, those probably require good 2-way video connections. I was just curious if anyone had success with the online (Yourpace) path, while having high-latency internet?  High-latency meaning you have good download speed, and moderate upload speed, but terrible switching between downloading and uploading.  You can usually watch online movies and stuff just fine, but 2-way video and online-games are too jittery, and usually disconnect.

Zoom is not used often. It's used to meet with a professor which is not a common occurrence. UMPI doesn't have proctored exams. You will need a good, consistent internet connection for the exams.
  • pluggingalong
Has anyonetried and knows if the exams work on tablets? I use a Samsung Tab 8 (DEX) as my default travel computer and it does 95% + of everything I need for work, and the 5% it doesn't do I use Splashtop to connect to a local server and do administration.

As I am already in the Tech industry (certifications) I have decided to get a BABA, as i won't have many Access projects if any and exams are not proctored (the issue with study.com) I should be able to get by with the Tablet.

I have a Dell 13" (from work) that I will bring with to "cover the bases" if needed and have 50% of the time used a AT&T hot spot for classes so far. So fingers crossed everything works out.
I believe the instructions say you must be on a computer for an exam. That may change with the move to Brightspace in January if they move as planned.
If you had a Windows tablet, they probably wouldn't be able to tell. But the Samsung Tab 8 runs Android. Android is very good, but the browsers don't always have the features necessary to do things like exams.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Math GECs Sophia/UMPI colonelcamp 0 10 36 minutes ago
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Framed UMPI Diploma joshua27 31 6,135 1 hour ago
Last Post: colonelcamp
  need advice on YourPace BBA Project Mgmt and Info Systems EducationSeeker 2 53 Yesterday, 10:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Residency Requirements FM1 10 410 Yesterday, 10:39 PM
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 55 5,361 04-16-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  UMPI BLS MISM VS Pierport then UMPI BAS k681 11 430 04-16-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  Are TEEX courses eligible for credits at UMPI? soulking 7 319 04-16-2024, 12:44 AM
  UMPI Minor Question WayToGoGrad 6 286 04-09-2024, 09:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Sophia to UMPI Transcript wowzers 9 414 04-06-2024, 01:19 PM
  YourPace to regular online courses? RachelB 17 724 04-05-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: ss20ts