Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMPI duel degree Question
Brick 
I have a UMPI dual major question

I start at UMPI in the spring of 2024. I'm taking the BABA - M&L degree. I have started Sophia and when I finish that I'm moving on to Study.com for a few Business Classes. When I start at UMPI i will only need the 10 class minimum. I noticed that there is only a 3 class difference between the BABA - M&L and the BLS - Management Information Systems. Can i take both degrees together? I have seen in a Facebook group that a few people have switched majors halfway through their 10 remaining classes and got both. When they contacted their advisor they were offered the option of a double major or either dual degree. I just wanted to see if this is true. If it is, will i have to take the minimum 10 classes for each degree or just 10 total? I really like the idea of a dual degrees with 2 diplomas better that a second major. Thanks in advance!

Degree wanted: UMPI, Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration - Management and Leadership
Career Goal: Retail Store Manager

Current Regional Accredited Credits: 
Northeastern Technical College - Cheraw South Carolina
Credits: 34
ENG 101 - English Composition I
MAT 031 - Developmental Math
MAT 150 - Fundamentals of Math
PSY 201 - General Psychology
CPT 114 - Computers and Programming
CPT 115 - COBOL Programming I
CPT 168 - Programming Logic
CPT 174 - Microcomputer Spreadsheets
CPT 215 - COBOL Programming II
CPT 255 - Operating System Fundamentals
OST 106 - Keyboarding Lab I
IST 220 - Data Communication

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: 
Sophia
Credits: 34
HLTH 1010 - Introduction to Nutrition
CS 1001 - Introduction to Information Technology

BUSI 1013 - Principles of Management 
ENVS 1001 - Environmental Science 
CONRES 1000 - The Essentials of Managing Conflict
BUS 1001 - Introduction to Business
PM 1001 - Project Management
ARTHIST 1001 - Art History I
HUMBIO 1001 - Human Biology
BUS 1010 - Financial Accounting
ECON 1001 - Macroeconomics
BUSLAW 1001 - Business Law
I had thought you couldn't do a double major if you did a BLS.

http://catalog.umpi.edu/content.php?cato...ble-majors
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
I just looked in the UMPI catalog and found my answer, lol. I can do a double major in the same degree such as the BABA with a minimum of 15 additional credit hours. Or I can do duel degrees which requires an additional 30 credit hours. Thanks anyway!
@OP I'll duel with you for the dual degree, there are so many ways to split things up or complete things that you feel is the way to go, it really depends on what you need/want.  Here's an example, if you're looking at dual degrees, it has to be the BLS first and then the BABA and you'll have two degrees.  I would plan things out and see which options seem best suited for your scenario, reply with your budget, commitments, study habits, etc that is asked for in the addendum here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

Going a different route, if you want one degree with two majors, it'll be the BA & BABA, I don't know if they would allow a dual concentration, but if you wanted, it can be the BABA M&L concentration plus the PM and MIS dual minor (or you can pick one minor). BA and BABA can have majors and concentrations within those majors as well as minors added, the BAS/BLS can only have minors.  Anyways, just like laddering your BOG AAS to UMPI, I recommend laddering your classes upwards to the MAOL, so you can take 3-4 classes instead of the minor.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-25-2023, 05:22 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @OP I'll duel with you for the dual degree, there are so many ways to split things up or complete things that you feel is the way to go, it really depends on what you need/want.  Here's an example, if you're looking at dual degrees, it has to be the BLS first and then the BABA and you'll have two degrees.  I would plan things out and see which options seem best suited for your scenario, reply with your budget, commitments, study habits, etc that is asked for in the addendum here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

Going a different route, if you want one degree with two majors, it'll be the BA & BABA, I don't know if they would allow a dual concentration, but if you wanted, it can be the BABA M&L concentration plus the PM and MIS dual minor (or you can pick one minor). BA and BABA can have majors and concentrations within those majors as well as minors added, the BAS/BLS can only have minors.  Anyways, just like laddering your BOG AAS to UMPI, I recommend laddering your classes upwards to the MAOL, so you can take 3-4 classes instead of the minor.
Thanks,  I appreciate the advice.  Going for the MAOL may be the way to go.  What do you mean take 3 to 4 classes instead of minor? I know 3 classes from the BABA can go up into the MAOL. TIA
(10-25-2023, 05:33 PM)Brandon.Thomas.Downer Wrote: Thanks,  I appreciate the advice.  Going for the MAOL may be the way to go.  What do you mean take 3 to 4 classes instead of minor? I know 3 classes from the BABA can go up into the MAOL. TIA

BABA with any concentration has 18-21 credits for free electives, some people can use the free electives to add an extra minor, since most minors are 18-21 credits. So, instead of adding in free electives that are any class that fits the spots, I recommend adding either the minors. Having said that, instead of taking in an extra minor for those spots, you can take any courses you want for the free electives including the 3-4 courses that go towards the MAOL. Here are the 4 courses that can be used for the MAOL, just make sure it's taken at UMPI and not transferred in... If you've taken the course through transfer credit, you can still just retake the course at UMPI. Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid400861
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is a philosophy minor possible at UMPI? LevelUP 8 119 Yesterday, 11:34 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Sophia Scores and Transferring to UMPI colonelcamp 7 270 04-25-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Inquiry Regarding Equivalent Classes for Remaining UMPI Requirements hicham78h 5 272 04-24-2024, 12:53 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Math GECs Sophia/UMPI colonelcamp 3 193 04-24-2024, 10:07 AM
  Should I contact UMPI now or wait until I finish my GEC with Sophia then contact them JusW 3 178 04-22-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: JusW
  Undergraduate Degree Liberal Studies w/ a Minor in Psychology molov 4 233 04-21-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  UMPI YourPace BLS w/ Management Minor Reference Plan valentvne 6 329 04-21-2024, 10:23 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  minimum age for UMPI students YourPace EducationSeeker 6 306 04-20-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: EducationSeeker
  Framed UMPI Diploma joshua27 31 6,616 04-19-2024, 03:01 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  BLS Degree Options Question dm.hans32 3 253 04-17-2024, 10:17 AM