Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMPI for BA/LS w/Accounting Minor
(07-25-2021, 01:34 PM)P226mem Wrote:
(07-25-2021, 12:02 PM)ss20ts Wrote: This only works if one lives near a Papa Johns.

That's true that one needs to live near one of those Purdue Global Employee Education Partners for it to work.

if it helps anyone, check this link for list of some of the other employers. Not all are fast food.   https://www.purdueglobal.edu/education-partnerships/

might be option for some people. details will vary.

And there’s tons of other employers who have similar perks like Chipotle, Starbucks, t-mobile…. Just to name a few. 

https://www.estudentloan.com/blog/10-com...ay-college
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
(07-25-2021, 12:02 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-24-2021, 10:32 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I did not realize that you had asked advice more than once.

So, looking at freeloader's advice, here's what I would do (and what my kid is doing for a different degree):

Go work at Papa John's or another school that will pay 100% tuition at Purdue Global - you don't pay a single dime, not even up front, and there are no limits on the price.  They have a BS in Accounting, with optional concentrations in Public Accountancy, Tax Accountancy, Managerial Accountancy, and Auditing/Forensic Accountancy.  They will take a TON of Study.com, Sophia, and other ACE credits.  They also have plenty of space for free electives (this is where you'd put your concentration credit, and you can fit 2 1/2 of those in the free electives area).

Not only will they pay for your bachelor's degree, but they will also pay for a Graduate degree!  So, stay there for 20 hours a week, and get your MS in Accounting (with concentrations in Public Accounting-CPA Track, Private/Corporate Accounting-CMA Track, or Tax), while you go work somewhere in accounting even part-time.

I'm also going to guess that you can take some of those Graduate-level courses towards your bachelor's degree, killing 2 birds with 1 stone.  Just a guess though.

My kid is doing this - she may end up with a bachelor's degree from there before she actually finishes the degree she wants (Surgical Tech) at the local CC - she is taking some GE's/pre-reqs through Purdue since they are free, and the program she wants only has fall admits, and she's not ready this fall but hopes to be next fall.  So she may as well take a BUNCH of courses as PUG since she's a FT student anyway, and it's free, and well, why not?!?

This only works if one lives near a Papa Johns. Much of the nation isn't anywhere near one. I haven't seen one in many years. 

Also most people don't survive working fast food for a few years. That's probably why they offer this because they are trying to retain people and boast about the perks they offer. Judging by how quickly people come and go from our local pizza shops and Domino's it's safe to say that few people would stay working there long enough to complete their degree. It is not an easy job. It's hard work working in a restaurant with low pay.

Obviously this won't work for everyone.

Also, the pay isn't low, and it's not necessarily hard work.  My kid likes her job, the pay is competitive for what she could get elsewhere, they work around her school schedule, she's been promoted twice in a year...I guess it just depends on your perspective.  She thinks its a great deal, and is happy to stay there and get thousands in tuition for working at a job she'd do anyway.

There are other companies that have similar benefits - Chipotle, Taco Bell, Walmart & Sam's Club all have the same deal with PurdueGlobal (as far as being fully-funded).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • thecontrarian, Vle045
(07-24-2021, 03:51 PM)ashkir Wrote: UMPI is changing a lot of things right now. I would recommend contacting them and see if they can make an exception.

@ashkir, did call them up today and they do still have the requirement in place, admissions said it wasn't about age so much as having some experience of college. That confused me a bit. But either way, as an 18-year-old out of HS it's definitely not my profile! 

It's not too big a deal for me tbh, TESU has a lot of benefits for me too since it's the state that I live in. Most people in NJ just assume it's a branch of Rutgers or something and don't even associate it with being an online college.
(07-26-2021, 09:25 AM)thecontrarian Wrote:
(07-24-2021, 03:51 PM)ashkir Wrote: UMPI is changing a lot of things right now. I would recommend contacting them and see if they can make an exception.

@ashkir, did call them up today and they do still have the requirement in place, admissions said it wasn't about age so much as having some experience of college. That confused me a bit. But either way, as an 18-year-old out of HS it's definitely not my profile! 

It's not too big a deal for me tbh, TESU has a lot of benefits for me too since it's the state that I live in. Most people in NJ just assume it's a branch of Rutgers or something and don't even associate it with being an online college.

You'll get a tuition discount on the credits you complete at TESU. So that's a bonus.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • thecontrarian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 16 175 8 hours ago
Last Post: walruspanda
  Dr Tree Man - BA in Psychology - UMPI YourPace Dr Tree Man 10 176 10 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Graduate TAMUC>UMPI graduatemore 7 508 03-21-2024, 09:14 PM
  UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Plan Questions Aurelijus 10 411 03-21-2024, 05:09 PM
  UMPI plan iggym32 3 215 03-20-2024, 05:52 PM
Question Is UMPI my most affordable option? tastyoat 12 472 03-18-2024, 06:00 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  UMPI BABA Project Management with Zero Starting Credits ChickenEnjoyer 37 1,921 03-18-2024, 03:54 AM
  UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Degree Plan, potentially transferring ~50 Credits chrsghs 17 783 03-14-2024, 06:05 PM
  Feedback Request on Degree Plan: UMPI BA in Project Management FM1 23 1,577 03-14-2024, 10:48 AM
Last Post: skite
  LU to TESU or UMPI - please help! CharisandJon 17 628 03-14-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: ss20ts