Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMPI questions!
I know a couple of you have gone to UMPI. The idea of letter grades really appeal to me. Anyway. I have a lot of credits. Is there anyway of knowing if they would transfer over into one of their degrees? I know that’s a pretty silly question, but I have 4 transcripts and it’s about $50 total to send and I’m broke! Covid has ruined me financially.  And, i only have 2 terms of pell grant left. I need all my UL courses still. Would I be able to complete 10 UL courses in 2 terms (assuming they accept all my current credits as Gen eds)
Pierpont AAS BOG - Graduated 5/7/21
UMPI BAS minor in management- Graduated 6/1/2021
WGU MSML- Starting 7/1/21
According to "How does the credit transfer process work?" at https://www.umpi.edu/admissions/transfer-students/ they can create an unofficial transfer estimate to show what classes will go where. What I get from the wording is that you don't even need to send in your official transcripts until you actually decide to go to the school. I would definitely contact them to see what they'll give you!

Even if you have to "fill in a few holes" with Sophia to have 90 accepted transfer credits (you have a lot of transfer credits, so that probably won't even be needed), UMPI should still be a really cheap option compared to the others.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(12-19-2020, 12:40 PM)rachel83az Wrote: According to "How does the credit transfer process work?" at https://www.umpi.edu/admissions/transfer-students/ they can create an unofficial transfer estimate to show what classes will go where. What I get from the wording is that you don't even need to send in your official transcripts until you actually decide to go to the school. I would definitely contact them to see what they'll give you!

Even if you have to "fill in a few holes" with Sophia  to have 90 accepted transfer credits (you have a lot of transfer credits, so that probably won't even be needed), UMPI should still be a really cheap option compared to the others.

That's extremely helpful! thank you!
(12-19-2020, 12:25 PM)adegree4me Wrote: I know a couple of you have gone to UMPI. The idea of letter grades really appeal to me. Anyway. I have a lot of credits. Is there anyway of knowing if they would transfer over into one of their degrees? I know that’s a pretty silly question, but I have 4 transcripts and it’s about $50 total to send and I’m broke! Covid has ruined me financially.  And, i only have 2 terms of pell grant left. I need all my UL courses still. Would I be able to complete 10 UL courses in 2 terms (assuming they accept all my current credits as Gen eds)

I currently attend UMPI. Feel free to send me a pm with your questions. I am happy to help. You can send me your list of credits and where they're from and I can give you an idea of what may transfer in and what it will transfer in as. I would also need to know what degree you're looking at.

Don't assume that you need 10 UL courses at UMPI. You need to complete 30 credits at UMPI and they don't all have to be UL. Each program has UL requirements which vary.
(12-19-2020, 12:52 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(12-19-2020, 12:25 PM)adegree4me Wrote: I know a couple of you have gone to UMPI. The idea of letter grades really appeal to me. Anyway. I have a lot of credits. Is there anyway of knowing if they would transfer over into one of their degrees? I know that’s a pretty silly question, but I have 4 transcripts and it’s about $50 total to send and I’m broke! Covid has ruined me financially.  And, i only have 2 terms of pell grant left. I need all my UL courses still. Would I be able to complete 10 UL courses in 2 terms (assuming they accept all my current credits as Gen eds)

I currently attend UMPI. Feel free to send me a pm with your questions. I am happy to help. You can send me your list of credits and where they're from and I can give you an idea of what may transfer in and what it will transfer in as. I would also need to know what degree you're looking at.

Don't assume that you need 10 UL courses at UMPI. You need to complete 30 credits at UMPI and they don't all have to be UL. Each program has UL requirements which vary.
what?! no way! ok pm'ing you now
(12-19-2020, 12:49 PM)adegree4me Wrote:
(12-19-2020, 12:40 PM)rachel83az Wrote: According to "How does the credit transfer process work?" at https://www.umpi.edu/admissions/transfer-students/ they can create an unofficial transfer estimate to show what classes will go where. What I get from the wording is that you don't even need to send in your official transcripts until you actually decide to go to the school. I would definitely contact them to see what they'll give you!

Even if you have to "fill in a few holes" with Sophia  to have 90 accepted transfer credits (you have a lot of transfer credits, so that probably won't even be needed), UMPI should still be a really cheap option compared to the others.

I just finished my first term (yesterday, actually) with UMPI. I am pursuing a second bachelor’s degree. I have lots of credits from my initial bachelor’s plus credits that I have picked up as a visiting student at a number of different colleges. I found UMPI to be very reasonable, even generous with their transfer evaluations. If a course was substantially the same as the UMPI course, they gave me credit. This was true of courses from both community college and 4-year institutions. 

The one exception was some of the Sophia courses. The finance course, for instance, transferred in as general, elective business credit. I also don’t have other ACE credits, so I can’t speak to those. 

Having had transcripts evaluated by multiple different colleges now, I found UMPI to be the most transfer friendly of any 4-year school that I have attended.
[-] The following 1 user Likes freeloader's post:
  • Pikachu
(12-19-2020, 01:07 PM)freeloader Wrote:
(12-19-2020, 12:49 PM)adegree4me Wrote:

I just finished my first term (yesterday, actually) with UMPI. I am pursuing a second bachelor’s degree. I have lots of credits from my initial bachelor’s plus credits that I have picked up as a visiting student at a number of different colleges. I found UMPI to be very reasonable, even generous with their transfer evaluations. If a course was substantially the same as the UMPI course, they gave me credit. This was true of courses from both community college and 4-year institutions. 

The one exception was some of the Sophia courses. The finance course, for instance, transferred in as general, elective business credit. I also don’t have other ACE credits, so I can’t speak to those. 

Having had transcripts evaluated by multiple different colleges now, I found UMPI to be the most transfer friendly of any 4-year school that I have attended.
That's fantastic and reassuring. Thank you!
Also, schools will generally request transcripts for you for free. From schools that allow third-party transcript requests.

(12-19-2020, 01:58 PM)Ideas Wrote: Also, schools will generally request transcripts for you for free. From schools that allow third-party transcript requests.

I have not run across any college that will requests transcripts for you and definitely not for free. In my experience, the enrollment counselors will send you an email with links to the electronic services for the colleges you need transcripts from or the links directly from the college's website. I know for a fact that UMPI requires you to request and pay for the official transcripts to be sent to them.
(12-19-2020, 01:58 PM)Ideas Wrote: Also, schools will generally request transcripts for you for free. From schools that allow third-party transcript requests.

I had no idea about this.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are TEEX courses eligible for credits at UMPI? soulking 6 236 3 minutes ago
Last Post: soulking
  UMPI BLS MISM VS Pierport then UMPI BAS k681 10 341 7 hours ago
Last Post: k681
  UMPI Minor Question WayToGoGrad 6 264 04-09-2024, 09:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 54 5,184 04-09-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Sophia to UMPI Transcript wowzers 9 369 04-06-2024, 01:19 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 96 61,814 04-01-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: ivanswk78
  choosing between UMPI BBA in management&leadership vs project management whereismyramen 6 313 03-26-2024, 04:13 PM
  What is considered FT at UMPI YourPace for the Pell Grant? RachelB 3 295 03-26-2024, 05:50 AM
  Help with UMPI admissions requirement Throwmeaway1590 2 335 03-25-2024, 08:24 PM
  Sophia's Human biology and lab did not meet UMPi's BIO 105 HappyPeanut 9 1,010 03-22-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: lifted567