Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UPTB MBA Doesn't Accept Graduate Credits
Hi everyone,

I just finished my MSML at WGU and I had previously applied at UTPB to go to their MBA program, which I was considering.

As suggested here, I finished my MSML and contacted UTPB to see if they would accept any of the credits that I have from WGU. 

The response I got from the Director of Graduate Programs at UTPB is this:

"I think you want some of your courses from a previous masters degree to count towards the masters of business administration. We cannot use one course for two degrees."

Is this common? Just curious, I am going to send in my transcripts to them for the MSML, but I don't think I will be pursuing UTPB if none of my credits apply.
Currently:
UCA (University of Central Arkansas) Ph.D. Change Leadership for Equity and Inclusion 

Completed:
WGU MSML
TAMUC BAAS Org Leadership
PMP, CSM, CSPO, Google Project Management Certificate
Sophia 19 Classes | Study.com 12 Classes
(11-25-2022, 06:54 PM)mohelena02 Wrote: Hi everyone,

I just finished my MSML at WGU and I had previously applied at UTPB to go to their MBA program, which I was considering.

As suggested here, I finished my MSML and contacted UTPB to see if they would accept any of the credits that I have from WGU. 

"I think you want some of your courses from a previous masters degree to count towards the masters of business administration. We cannot use one course for two degrees."

Is this common? Just curious, I am going to send in my transcripts to them for the MSML, but I don't think I will be pursuing UTPB if none of my credits apply.

Credit recognition is common for undergrad but is much less common for grad programs.  Very few programs will accept transfer credits.  And those that do will usually not accept credits that have already been applied to another degree.  It has nothing to do with UTPB or WGU, it's just par for the course for grad schools.
[-] The following 3 users Like smartdegree's post:
  • mohelena02, Pikachu, ss20ts
(11-25-2022, 06:58 PM)smartdegree Wrote:

Credit recognition is common for undergrad but is much less common for grad programs.  Very few programs will accept transfer credits.  And those that do will usually not accept credits that have already been applied to another degree.  It has nothing to do with UTPB or WGU, it's just par for the course for grad schools.

Thank you for the context!! this gives me more to consider when choosing an MBA.
Currently:
UCA (University of Central Arkansas) Ph.D. Change Leadership for Equity and Inclusion 

Completed:
WGU MSML
TAMUC BAAS Org Leadership
PMP, CSM, CSPO, Google Project Management Certificate
Sophia 19 Classes | Study.com 12 Classes
[-] The following 1 user Likes mohelena02's post:
  • smartdegree
The title is misrepresenting the situation. Many, if not most, grad schools accept at least 6 transfer credits. The problem here is that your credits were used for a conferred degree. Not allowing the reuse of credits for a second master's degree is very common, and it is also common at the undergraduate level when it comes to courses in the major.

UTPB does accept graduate transfer credits.

Credit for graduate courses completed at another accredited institution may be applied toward a master’s degree at UT Permian Basin. A maximum of six semester credits may be transferred for the student’s program and approved by the student’s advisor. The advisor must complete a Graduate Transfer Credit Request form.

Three additional credits may be transferred (total of 9 credit hours) upon approval of the Dean of Graduate Studies and Assistant Vice President of Research. The advisor must complete a petition and a Graduate Transfer Credit Request Form.
Requests for more than a total of nine semester hours of transfer credit must go to the Graduate Council for a decision. The advisor must complete a petition and a Graduate Transfer Credit Request Form.

No course counted toward another degree may be counted toward a master’s degree, either directly or by substitution.

http://catalog.utpb.edu/content.php?catoid=2&navoid=16#:
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Yes, this is pretty common in grad programs. Many MBA programs do not accept transfer credit. Even WGU doesn't accept transfer credit for their grad programs outside of the IT degrees. Why would you want to go elsewhere for your MBA? You have half of the courses already completed at WGU. I'd stay there and complete the remaining 6 courses.
The issue here isn't that UTPB doesn't accept transfer credits because they do. They do not accept credits that were used for another master's degree. Can we please stop repeating misinformation? I shared the link to their catalog, and they made it clear in their message to the OP that they will not accept credits that were used in a previous master's degree. They did not say that the MBA does not allow transfer credits. Where are y'all getting this from?

If you have an undergraduate degree in business, they waive six credits in the MBA program, so why would they not accept transfer credits like they say they do in their catalog?

https://www.utpb.edu/academics/programs/mba/mba
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graduate Discounts (ENEB, Walden, etc) ashkir 24 21,183 03-27-2024, 01:03 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Does WES USA accept MBA from UCAM? soulblader 11 327 03-26-2024, 10:05 AM
Last Post: Thorne
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 886 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Graduate Schools that accept the most transfer credits sanantone 65 15,184 03-06-2024, 05:33 PM
  Graduate transfer credits David1477 10 944 03-03-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  ENEB won't let me graduate and refusing to answer all emails and calls slayer35 41 4,471 02-20-2024, 10:20 PM
Last Post: William.H
  Masters level credits from Sophia and others? jb111 24 1,591 02-09-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
  Strategies to aquire 18 credits and teach jb111 5 389 02-05-2024, 02:00 AM
  List of free graduate credit udi 15 7,615 01-26-2024, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Transferring graduate credit from UofPeople Quackerz 8 649 01-16-2024, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Quackerz