Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UT School Bus Driver Dragged 13-year-old 150 Feet
A Utah school bus driver closed the door on a student's backpack and drove off dragging him 150 ft. before stopping. Other than some pinch marks from the backpack, the teenager was uninjured. The driver was forced to retire after the incident. The mother of the student claims that the driver knew what he was doing because video showed him repeatedly looking over, and the students were animated. The attorney for the family said that the driver has a history of targeting biracial students. When the driver, John Naisbitt, was asked by a reporter if he's racist, he responded, "No, not at all. Look at my dog. He's black as can be."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/utah...o-n1003986
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I watched the video twice and can't see the boy in the rear mirror, side mirror or window. I also don't see any of the kids standing on the stairs having a reaction of any kind- wouldn't they all be yelling to the driver if the boy was caught in the door? It would be right in front of their eyes.
The girl next to the door turns to the driver and sends to be fairly animated about it.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(05-12-2019, 09:40 AM)cookderosa Wrote: I watched the video twice and can't see the boy in the rear mirror, side mirror or window. I also don't see any of the kids standing on the stairs having a reaction of any kind- wouldn't they all be yelling to the driver if the boy was caught in the door? It would be right in front of their eyes.

I see the boy's head through the door multiple times while the bus is moving. He has cornrows (braids). The girl standing in front of the door does look animated. You can see the boy turn around after he's released the second time the bus stops. I don't know why the bus driver let students stand while the bus was moving.

I can clearly see the boy in the second mirror from the top. You can also see him move in it the second time the bus stops.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
It looks to me like he stopped and started letting students off, then decided to pull farther forward. He pauses the offload by just slamming the door and catches the kid's backpack.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
It's such a shame that there are not enough hours in the day to drive one's own kids to school and pick them up afterward. Kids must go to school and adults must go to work, but having no other option than to put your child's life in the hands of strangers is scary. I don't mean with just the bus drivers, but all the staff and even the students. I honestly don't know how I'd manage my anxiety if I had a child in the school system, especially in these times.
I'm just glad he was forced to retire. Even if this was an accident (I doubt that it was), bus drivers are trained to make sure they haven't caught anyone in the doors. As a city bus driver, I had to watch front and back doors. If he couldn't see the kid in his mirror, then that's scary.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(05-12-2019, 08:49 PM)katelynn Wrote: It's such a shame that there are not enough hours in the day to drive one's own kids to school and pick them up afterward. Kids must go to school and adults must go to work, but having no other option than to put your child's life in the hands of strangers is scary. I don't mean with just the bus drivers, but all the staff and even the students. I honestly don't know how I'd manage my anxiety if I had a child in the school system, especially in these times.

I would disagree with both of your musts. But I'm pretty extreme, we raised our 4 kids without ever leaving them in the care of a stranger.
(05-12-2019, 08:49 PM)katelynn Wrote: It's such a shame that there are not enough hours in the day to drive one's own kids to school and pick them up afterward. Kids must go to school and adults must go to work, but having no other option than to put your child's life in the hands of strangers is scary. I don't mean with just the bus drivers, but all the staff and even the students. I honestly don't know how I'd manage my anxiety if I had a child in the school system, especially in these times.

Neither of your "musts" is true.  They weren't true for my family (I'm a SAHM, and we homeschooled for many years).

And you probably haven't been around a school much, because if you were, you'd see the long lines of parents dropping off or picking up their kids.  Where I live, there are no buses any more (except for field trips or high school sports).  I also see lots of parents walking their kids to/from school, especially the younger kids.

My children now go to high school, but one drives, the other has a job - at some point, you can't control every aspect of your child's life.  They do grow up, and they do need freedom.  If you can't bear the thought that your kids are out in the world, among strangers, then you probably shouldn't have them.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-13-2019, 09:19 AM)dfrecore Wrote:

Neither of your "musts" is true.  They weren't true for my family (I'm a SAHM, and we homeschooled for many years).

And you probably haven't been around a school much, because if you were, you'd see the long lines of parents dropping off or picking up their kids.  Where I live, there are no buses any more (except for field trips or high school sports).  I also see lots of parents walking their kids to/from school, especially the younger kids.

My children now go to high school, but one drives, the other has a job - at some point, you can't control every aspect of your child's life.  They do grow up, and they do need freedom.  If you can't bear the thought that your kids are out in the world, among strangers, then you probably shouldn't have them.

Homeschooling isn't an option for a lot of parents because not every parent has the ability to work from home (or not work at all). The majority must have schooling and the majority must work, which sadly doesn't always leave room for parents to be involved until after school hours. I was homeschooled, but it was also a different time and many of the kids I came up with ended up having to be put into public school. I've known many parents and single women that would love to be able to provide for their children what you did, but I think you know that not every family is fortunate enough to be able to. For many families I've known, even after school let out there would be sitters involved until the parent was finally free. It could be that we socialize with a different kind of community and maybe you haven't witnessed that kind of thing, just as I haven't been around many schools. I get what you're trying to say, but I'm only trying to sympathize with the families that aren't as blessed as you and simply cannot be there. I'm very glad your kids had the experience they did and I wish more kids had something similar. I was never implying that parents could do more, I was wishing that more parents had better opportunities to be there as much as a lot of them wish they could be.

Also, please don't concern yourself with my family-planning. Concerning my anxiety, I was speaking specifically about schools and you took it upon yourself to say that I somehow couldn't imagine my future children being a part of normal society. Seeing as you temporarily kept your kids out of school, I'm not sure why you think it'd be controlling/paranoid for me to want to make the same decision with my future children. I think you misunderstood entirely what I was saying (which is fine in itself) but keep in mind that some things aren't appropriate or necessary to say. I will be having several children.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HAPPY NEW YEAR 2024!!! LevelUP 2 379 01-01-2024, 09:10 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Happy Holidays and New Year 2022! bjcheung77 7 936 12-25-2023, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Nicaragua seizes all assets from INCAE Business School elcastor21 0 295 09-26-2023, 04:55 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Found: $1,500 (TOTAL) At-own-pace Law School dcan 48 9,024 08-28-2023, 10:34 PM
Last Post: resistk
Question Poll: Just not sure what to major in for grad school and which direction to go! Randyb100 21 1,461 05-26-2023, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Randyb100
  Can I get a High School Diploma after getting my GED and Associates? IReallyNeedADegree 24 2,549 02-06-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  HAPPY NEW YEAR 2023!!! LevelUP 3 1,913 01-11-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  ACE 2022 Student of The Year ashkir 0 595 12-19-2022, 06:26 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Living the Good Life on $24,000 a Year? Retire in Your 20’s or 30’s? LevelUP 34 5,599 03-26-2022, 12:28 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  School Psychologists?? Vle045 3 901 01-21-2022, 03:22 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy