Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ECE and Excelsior, failing grades
I did not know that Excelsior counts failed ECE exams (D and F) against your GPA and you do not even get the 3 SH credit for it. I took Abnormal Psychology and got a "D" and was expecting it not to go against my GPA. The failure has really affected my GPA (3.67 to 3.37). This really sucks! Just wanted to make sure you guys know about this.
Passed (54 SH):
A&I Literature (60) : Criminal Justice (419) : Intro to Law Enforcement (68) : Intro to Computing (457): Information Systems & Comp App (63): Management Information Systems (423) : Intro to Sociology (53) : Intro to Psychology (56) : Here's to your Health (450) : Substance Abuse (428) : Technical Writing (49) : College Mathematics (53) : Business Ethics and Society (437) : World Populations (B) : Principles of Marketing (57) : Cultural Diversity (B) : Civil War & Reconstruction (54)

Military: (41 SH)
Other Schools: (15 SH)

Excelsior Courses Complete (10 SH): Information Literacy, Criminology, International Terrorism, Social Science Research, Research/Writing, Managing Homeland Security

Excelsior BS-Criminal Justice=DONE
mightymouse Wrote:I did not know that Excelsior counts failed ECE exams (D and F) against your GPA and you do not even get the 3 SH credit for it. I took Abnormal Psychology and got a "D" and was expecting it not to go against my GPA. The failure has really affected my GPA (3.67 to 3.37). This really sucks! Just wanted to make sure you guys know about this.

I remember reading (umm... somewhere :willynillySmile that you can replace your grades with another course or exam. Also, there is a certain amount of times that you can retake ECEs. So, it's an issue of what is most important, GPA or $$.
SMS, SGB, GEN, NG, TG16, NES, SNES

[Image: ccoDZ6X.png]

Maniac Craniac Wrote:I remember reading (umm... somewhere :willynillySmile that you can replace your grades with another course or exam. Also, there is a certain amount of times that you can retake ECEs. So, it's an issue of what is most important, GPA or $$.

Hmm, I talked to an Academic Advisor and he said that I could retake the ECE in 60 days to replace the grade.

The military funded the exam so $$ is not an issue but GPA is more important. I need 2 upper level arts and sciences exams (one being in my major). Cultural Diversity will cover the major and Civil War can cover the last exam.

I do not believe that Excelsior will expunge that grade with another, because they dont even count it as credits...

I guess I can start searching for more answers.
Passed (54 SH):
A&I Literature (60) : Criminal Justice (419) : Intro to Law Enforcement (68) : Intro to Computing (457): Information Systems & Comp App (63): Management Information Systems (423) : Intro to Sociology (53) : Intro to Psychology (56) : Here's to your Health (450) : Substance Abuse (428) : Technical Writing (49) : College Mathematics (53) : Business Ethics and Society (437) : World Populations (B) : Principles of Marketing (57) : Cultural Diversity (B) : Civil War & Reconstruction (54)

Excelsior Courses Complete (10 SH): Information Literacy, Criminology, International Terrorism, Social Science Research, Research/Writing, Managing Homeland Security

mightymouse Wrote:Hmm, I talked to an Academic Advisor and he said that I could retake the ECE in 60 days to replace the grade.

The military funded the exam so $$ is not an issue but GPA is more important. I need 2 upper level arts and sciences exams (one being in my major). Cultural Diversity will cover the major and Civil War can cover the last exam.

I do not believe that Excelsior will expunge that grade with another, because they dont even count it as credits...

You might better lose that mentality that "money isn't the issue" because as of 20MAY you get one shot for CLEP and DSSTs and you have to pay for the re-test out of pocket. ECEs were also specifically mentioned in the email I saw today as part of the policy change.
JBjunior Wrote:You might better lose that mentality that "money isn't the issue" because as of 20MAY you get one shot for CLEP and DSSTs and you have to pay for the re-test out of pocket. ECEs were also specifically mentioned in the email I saw today as part of the policy change.

Got a link? Nothing is posted on the DANTES (DOD) website about this change. You would think it would be important news to put on their website.
Passed (54 SH):

mightymouse Wrote:Got a link? Nothing is posted on the DANTES (DOD) website about this change. You would think it would be important news to put on their website.

I agree, just got the email from my ESO today. I will look it up really quickly.

Edit: I can't find anything online about it but it looks like DANTES updates their website every few years. If you PM me your military email I will forward it on from my military email account tomorrow. Otherwise, just wait for the update from your ESO.
This is how it worked for me retaking the Poli-Sci UExcel exam. I took both versions during their free trial period.

Both (the B & C grades) are listed on my transcript but only the B grade is figured into my GPA. There is an ® after the C graded Uexcel that indicates it was retaken.

mightymouse Wrote:Hmm, I talked to an Academic Advisor and he said that I could retake the ECE in 60 days to replace the grade.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,833 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,178 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,942 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,295 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 965 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Excelsior annual fees homeschoolmom1 1 1,268 07-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Photo Shmoop Excelsior Evaluations In ReyMysterioso 0 1,778 06-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,224 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior College ranked #1 Life Long Learning 11 3,408 06-21-2018, 07:57 PM
Last Post: miah
  Quick Question about Excelsior hsfamfun 5 1,865 06-21-2018, 03:05 PM
Last Post: radconjohn