Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Undergrad Certificate Help!
Hey folks!  I'm back at it with another question. Smile
So, I am trying to decide if I should get a SECOND Undergrad Certificate at TESU after I complete my first one.  You see, I made the decision to go for an undergraduate certificate in Organizational Leadership, in order to "flesh out" and add more "meat" to my B.S.B.A. in General Management.  Really, it was an emotional decision because I felt at the time that I wanted to "major" in something, and that since I was going back to school, I wanted to "get" everything that I missed out on the first few times around.
In hindsight, financially speaking, I would have been better off getting an MBA from WGU LOL!!!  But that's neither here nor there.  Big Grin

The point is that currently I have one class left for my Organizational Leadership Cert. Once complete, I would have 10 total credits earned through TESU.  The Residency Fee Waiver to graduate would be $2,800 currently.
To waive the fee, I would need to take just two more classes. To get another undergraduate certificate, I would just need to take three more classes.  Using the Study.com tuition discount if $379 per credit, that would mean a total cost of $3,411.
So, for roughly $600 more I can get another ug certificate and have my job pay all of that (the entire certification) or I could pay the $2800 out of pocket and just be DONE!!!  After 20 Years, JUST BE DONE!!!
What would you do if you were in my shoes?
Community College: College Success Skills | Gen. Psychology | Span 1 | Eng. 101 | Accounting 1 | Accounting 2 | Comp Skills

Study.com Scholarship: Per. Finance | Prin. of Marketing | Digi. Mark. & Advertising | HR Manage. | Prin. of Finance

The Institutes: Ethics

Sophia: Proj. Management

Straighterline:​ Survey of World History | Principles of Management | MacroEco. | MicroEco. | American Gov | US History 1 | US History 2 | Western Civ 1 | Western Civ 2 | Business Law | Intro to Religion | Cultural Anthropology | Intro to Environ. Science | Intro to Soc

ALEKS: Inter. Algebra | College Algebra | Intro to Stats

TEEX: Cyber 101 | Cyber 201 | Cyber 301

NFA: Fire Service Supervision: Self Study

Certified: Six Sigma Yellow Belt [8 PDU]
If I were you, I would probably go ahead and get the second certificate. You'll spend a bit more time, but you'll spend less money and you'll have more credentials that could potentially be used to enhance your paycheck in the future.
(06-12-2020, 05:23 AM)Toastmaster Wrote: Using the Study.com tuition discount if $379 per credit, that would mean a total cost of $3,411.

Tuition discount is about to be gone, isn't it? Or locking catalog locks partnership prices too?
MSML, WGU 2022
BAS, UMPI, 2021
AAS, Pierpont C&TC, 2021

ACE (119): Sophia, 93; TEEX, 5; SDC, 12; ACTFL, 6
RA (50): ASU, 8; ONU, 3; UMPI, 39
NA (16) : UoPeople, 16
Other: ENEB/Isabel I, MBA (2021)
Also dropped a gazillion of classes!!

Family members work on degrees at Ashworth, TESU, Purdue, UMPI, NationsU
(06-12-2020, 09:13 AM)NoStudentNoCry Wrote: Tuition discount is about to be gone, isn't it? Or locking catalog locks partnership prices too?

If you get the discount locked in before July 1st, you get to keep it for the duration of being a student at TESU.
(06-12-2020, 05:23 AM)Toastmaster Wrote: Hey folks!  I'm back at it with another question. Smile
So, I am trying to decide if I should get a SECOND Undergrad Certificate at TESU after I complete my first one.  You see, I made the decision to go for an undergraduate certificate in Organizational Leadership, in order to "flesh out" and add more "meat" to my B.S.B.A. in General Management.  Really, it was an emotional decision because I felt at the time that I wanted to "major" in something, and that since I was going back to school, I wanted to "get" everything that I missed out on the first few times around.
In hindsight, financially speaking, I would have been better off getting an MBA from WGU LOL!!!  But that's neither here nor there.  Big Grin

The point is that currently I have one class left for my Organizational Leadership Cert. Once complete, I would have 10 total credits earned through TESU.  The Residency Fee Waiver to graduate would be $2,800 currently.
To waive the fee, I would need to take just two more classes. To get another undergraduate certificate, I would just need to take three more classes.  Using the Study.com tuition discount if $379 per credit, that would mean a total cost of $3,411.
So, for roughly $600 more I can get another ug certificate and have my job pay all of that (the entire certification) or I could pay the $2800 out of pocket and just be DONE!!!  After 20 Years, JUST BE DONE!!!
Go for the cert no question for sure.

You have no idea if TESU is going to raise the wavier fee.

What certificate were you thinking?

Another option either in addition to or instead of the certificate is an associates degree. Some easy ones include:

AA general studies (which you would already have done and has no value, but still, it would be free to add for no reason.)

ASNM math

ASNM  computer science (you can also use free teex credits for the aos)

ASNM Biology (only if you already happen to have Biology II lab though)

Some of the AS and AAS like computers and maybe tohers depending on your credits. They do require an associates capstone. But that is 3 more credits at TESU towards no waiver fee.

Play around with the "what if" and see what happens. And if you already have an associates done add it of course.

Also you could double major instead of the second cert. HR would be an easy change the courses from the OL cert overlap. And 9 credits from both AOS could overlap.

Personally I think a second major and/or associates would be a better than a certificate, especially if that certificate is just a GM one.
Sorry - are you saying that you already graduated with a BSBA, and an OL cert? And now you want to get a new cert? I'm confused on where you are in the process.

If you are just getting the cert by itself, I say no way. If you're adding on, then I guess you can. I'm not sure I'd waste a lot of time.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Hi, Toastmaster.

My response has nothing to do with the value of an additional certificate. It has to do with you. You write, "...I missed out on the first few times around." I take that to mean that you didn't immediately enter college after high-school and graduate in four years. If I'm correct, and it's taken you a few efforts to get the degree, do YOU think that you have it in you to take the additional courses? Will YOU complete them? If so, no education is ever wasted, so go for it.
Your job will pay for everything if you earn the extra credits? If you don't do the extra credits you're stuck paying? No brainer. Make the job pay for the education. Take advantage of that!
(06-12-2020, 05:23 AM)Toastmaster Wrote: Hey folks!  I'm back at it with another question. Smile

Not clear about something. Have you already graduated with the BSBA OR has the degree not been conferred?

Not conferred, add another AOS to the BSBA.

If conferred, I honestly don't why anyone would spend thousands of dollars (even if employer paid) for another undergrad certificate. Use the funds to get a graduate certificate from somewhere else. Another option. Complete a MicroMaster's from EDx, transfer to one of the schools that accept, take one or two additional courses and get a graduate certificate from an Ivy league school. The cost would be about the same as your current route of undergrad certificate from TESU.
(06-12-2020, 02:30 PM)HogwartsSchool Wrote:

Not clear about something. Have you already graduated with the BSBA OR has the degree not been conferred?

Not conferred, add another AOS to the BSBA.

If conferred, I honestly don't why anyone would spend thousands of dollars (even if employer paid) for another undergrad certificate. Use the funds to get a graduate certificate from somewhere else. Another option. Complete a MicroMaster's from EDx, transfer to one of the schools that accept, take one or two additional courses and get a graduate certificate from an Ivy league school. The cost would be about the same as your current route of undergrad certificate from TESU.

Hi!  I have 3 classes left for my BSBA General Management, and one class left for my undergrad cert in Organizational Leadership.

Interesting...add another AOS?  I hadn't considered that!  Thank you!

(06-12-2020, 10:08 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Sorry - are you saying that you already graduated with a BSBA, and an OL cert?  And now you want to get a new cert?  I'm confused on where you are in the process.

If you are just getting the cert by itself, I say no way.  If you're adding on, then I guess you can.  I'm not sure I'd waste a lot of time.

Hi!  I have 3 classes left for my BSBA General Management, and one class left for my undergrad cert in Organizational Leadership.

That's the thing. Time.  I value it so much right now.  I have other things I want to do, but I just don't like to "waste" money lol.  If I pay the $2800, I'm DONE (once I finish my last 3 classes, which are all ACE). If I take 3 classes beyond those, I can have my job pay for it.  They pay 2K a year, so I can knock out a couple this year, and knock out a couple more next year.  Nothing out my pocket, and then graduate.  Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was excited when I realised I have "options" lol.
Community College: College Success Skills | Gen. Psychology | Span 1 | Eng. 101 | Accounting 1 | Accounting 2 | Comp Skills

Study.com Scholarship: Per. Finance | Prin. of Marketing | Digi. Mark. & Advertising | HR Manage. | Prin. of Finance

The Institutes: Ethics

Sophia: Proj. Management

Straighterline:​ Survey of World History | Principles of Management | MacroEco. | MicroEco. | American Gov | US History 1 | US History 2 | Western Civ 1 | Western Civ 2 | Business Law | Intro to Religion | Cultural Anthropology | Intro to Environ. Science | Intro to Soc

ALEKS: Inter. Algebra | College Algebra | Intro to Stats

TEEX: Cyber 101 | Cyber 201 | Cyber 301

NFA: Fire Service Supervision: Self Study

Certified: Six Sigma Yellow Belt [8 PDU]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 248 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Advanced Programmer Certificate awildefish 5 440 02-15-2024, 09:13 PM
Last Post: mog538
  IBM Data Science Professional Certificate Course equivalencies spohara 25 3,491 07-27-2023, 08:14 PM
Last Post: mariobros1985
  Coursera SAS Advanced Programmer Certificate Transfer mog538 12 1,004 07-21-2023, 10:42 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Has anyone used a TESU degree to obtain CA teaching certificate? Insert Name 18 2,337 11-15-2021, 10:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  After all the recent changes, what's the possibility of doing undergrad from India? learning_spree 17 2,486 09-18-2021, 10:39 PM
Last Post: booklovingirl
  Google IT Professional Certificate ACE credits to TESU? nomaduser 4 1,406 08-12-2021, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Turkish
  TESU Undergraduate Certificate in Organizational Leadership dhallfootball21 2 735 04-01-2021, 04:03 PM
Last Post: dhallfootball21
  TESU Undergraduate certificate requirements Leedeedee 4 864 03-04-2021, 09:52 AM
Last Post: Leedeedee
  LIB-495 and Certificate Policy Questions OldManOfTheSea 0 491 02-27-2021, 11:07 AM
Last Post: OldManOfTheSea