Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unfriendly professors
[SIZE="3"]Take a chill pill everyone..... Smile [/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
cookderosa Wrote:Really MA2? Really? Huh, and you called me offensive last week for suggesting you attend Harvard!

I never said you were "offensive" I just mistook your comment of "go attend Harvard" as sarcasm.
Potatoloco Wrote:Trying to stay on topic and ignore the comparision of turning in an essay to raiding a house.......

I am on topic. My point was obviously that life is unpredictable. You can either adapt and respond to these changes to accomplish your goals in life, or dwell on the fact that "it's not fair." That's life, it sucks sometimes, and everyone needs to vent every now and then. If you don't like my honesty then hit the little block button.

Just keep your head up, get the assignment done, finish the class, and move on.

In any event I'm done with this topic. Wink
MA2 Wrote:If you honestly think anything I say is "offensive," I must say that I am quite jealous of your obviously sheltered and easy going civilian lifestyle. There's a difference between "offensive" (like calling someone a big moron) and just being brutally honest... (maybe I threw a bit of each in there this time Wink)

You said "and I don't think it's fair to change it in the middle of the semester." .... well guess what, "princess," life isn't fair.

Does it suck that you did that paper for nothing? Yes.

Can you do anything about it besides suck it up and go with the flow? Probably not... but I don't think it would hurt to try.

I suppose in the real world if you spend weeks planning a mission to raid a certain drug house or hit a suspected terrorist stronghold, and the boss calls down and says "the bad guys moved areas, we'll hit at this new location tomorrow," we can be upset all we want at the wasted time, or we can push thorugh and get the job done. In this case, the "job" is your class/degree.

Have a nice day Smile

I have the PRIVELEGE to be in the Navy, and you, MA2, are embarassing me right now. For all civillians reading this thread, I hope you do not take MA2's words to heart. Not all of us active duty members feel this way.

A better way to express your ideas rather than attack Princess on her Username and status - which you and I are not entirely clear on to begin with - would be something like this:

I'm sorry to hear about this PrettyPrincess, but I can't say it doesn't happen to the best of us. I can tell you some stories that may make you feel squeamish including a class where I wrote three times the amount my other clasmmates wrote, wrote and presented our group's assignment in its entirety, and aced both the midterm and final and yet I walked away with a 'D' for reasons that are beyond me. My group members, by the way, aced the class. Unfortunately we occasionally run into these problems in higher education that tests our overall perseverance and tolerance, and trust me, it is hard to swallow! Depending on your instructor, you may be required to re-do the assignment or they may cut you some slack. I have had both. As others have mentioned above, I would sit down with the Professor and explain to him/her the nature of the dilemma and hope and pray. Ultimately, you must be willing to accept whichever response they give you and deal with it accordingly. I know its hard! I wish you all the luck!

See, that wasn't so hard now was it MA2? By the way, respect is earned not expected simply because you are in the military. We may look at things differently than some civillians, but that doesn't give you the right to insult them... and publicly to boot.

My two cents, and I'm done.
MS in Administration - Public Administration (Central Michigan University) - 2012
BS in Health Care Management (Southern Illinois University Carbondale) - 2011
I aplogize to everybody for my retort.
MS in Administration - Public Administration (Central Michigan University) - 2012
[SIZE="7"]PLAY NICE PLEASE![/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
Princess, as an instructor if you know he didn't tell your class about the changes to syllabus you can always bring that up to his Dean or department chair. I know we have to have a written syllabus and any changes must also be done in writing. If this is your school policy he violated that and should be required to stick to the original syllabus. That being said, I would find out the school policy, then approach the instructor, maybe as a group if several of you know you were not notified about the changes. If that is the case and he was required to put it in writing, then he should at least accept both versions of the assignment. If he refuses I would elevate it to the next level.

Keep in mind that as Cook said, if the changes are minor, it would probably be easier to just revise your existing paper and say nothing, but I would get it in writing via email a confirmation of your 4th paper assignment and his agreeing to accept it early. I agree that I have students that continually push the bounds of courtesy and they always wants an exception. Instructors are human and sometimes we reach our breaking point, if you are the last one there, it may be you that gets the brunt of the breaking fall-out. I'm sorry, but try to give the instructor a chance, but know you do have other options.

Good luck!
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
Cookderosa, Marianne202...thanks...I think that's what I'll do...hopefully the new assignment won't be that different from the original one...

ShotoJuku...lol thank you I didn't mean for this to turn into an argument...if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it - just get to the point.

rossatkinson- it's not an online course but doesn't really make a difference Wink
- [SIZE="2"]STG[/SIZE]
[COLOR="Plum"][SIZE="1"]Intro to Sociology 51|Biology 54|Intro to Psychology 61
College Algebra A[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]124 credits: B.A Social Sciences [B]DONE in 14 months; August 2011[/COLOR][/B]
"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty"- [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Winston Churchill[/COLOR]
ShotoJuku Wrote:[SIZE="7"]PLAY NICE PLEASE![/SIZE]
You are my freaking hero. Confusedmilelol:
TESC Criminal Justice BA '12
B&M Civil Engineering BS (In Progress)
I was trying to defend Princess and offer additional information as it pertains to my own experiences in this scenario, but it backfired. I must remember that the Internet is not void of misunderstanding Rolleyes Sorry.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Rise of Colleges without Classes or Professors allvia 5 1,192 03-06-2019, 12:52 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Professors aren't always right DavidHume 29 4,720 02-23-2018, 12:19 PM
Last Post: davewill