Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unfriendly professors
Just saw this thread and have to say my teaching experience at a public technical school parallels Cooks, and at about 10 years experience I have had to stop things cold and become hard hearted. I used to buy everyone's story. Once rules are established you have to stick with them or else it becomes a real problem. Not to mention, the instructor can get in trouble with the administration because the very student that you think you are helping will come back and report you when you try to finally put your foot down.

Now that does not mean that in a situation like that recited here, that the original plan of completing that one report prior to leaving town is not possible. It is a responsible plan and will work.

The other problem was in trying to do the other report earlier as well - and you could not have forseen the professor changing rules, as well as your later learning that it has not been conveyed to at least two other classes.

So, you know you need to try to arrange a face-to-face meeting to see what can be done to resolve this problem and miscommunication. You may need to bring to this meeting the point that you have asked others in your class and they were not aware of the changes either, gently and with a "grown up" method of communicating. Avoid whining at all costs. This is a negotiation, after all. Smile

Also, in reading the posts I think MA2 is posting his responses from a place of experience - his experience and not ours (the general population who has not experienced being in the military). Being in the military IS different than what others here have experienced in that the training required is more intense, magnified, and can save YOUR life and your team-mates. Also, I'm sure what Cook and I see, the 1 in 3 who are always coming up with a new excuse is magnified. One thing you learn when you are in the position of being the teacher or professor, is that many of these folks will only learn to put aside these bad habits and change their way of thinking about themselves and their entitlement to being given exceptions to everything, is by holding their feet to the fire. Eventually they either learn to comply with rules and meet deadlines, all of which are skills they need to learn for life and work, or they will just fade away - constantly making excuses for and about everything in their lives.

Addendum: Remember that those who have found InstantCert and are working through this system, have had the individual drive to go further, look for alternatives that will allow them to acquire higher goals and work around any difficulties they have encountered, but overall they have accepted that they are the persons driving their own future. Congratulations!
Thanks everyone...I got the new assignment today. It's not too bad...it took me about an hour to fix it up to the new assignment Wink
- [SIZE="2"]STG[/SIZE]
[COLOR="Plum"][SIZE="1"]Intro to Sociology 51|Biology 54|Intro to Psychology 61
College Algebra A[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]124 credits: B.A Social Sciences [B]DONE in 14 months; August 2011[/COLOR][/B]
"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty"- [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Winston Churchill[/COLOR]
prettyprincess Wrote:Thanks everyone...I got the new assignment today. It's not too bad...it took me about an hour to fix it up to the new assignment Wink

There ya go Smile
prettyprincess Wrote:Thanks everyone...I got the new assignment today. It's not too bad...it took me about an hour to fix it up to the new assignment Wink

Wow, awesome. I wish I could fix my papers up that quickly. Good luck
Good news. Most profs will work with you, especially once any miscommunication is clearly discussed.

Now on to finishing the one that you need to do to get out of town:coolgleam:
Well at least I have a bit more than a month for that...
- [SIZE="2"]STG[/SIZE]
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]124 credits: B.A Social Sciences [B]DONE in 14 months; August 2011[/COLOR][/B]
"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty"- [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Winston Churchill[/COLOR]
Makes me sad when you guys fight Sad
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
sorry...I didn't think it would cause such a ruckus...
- [SIZE="2"]STG[/SIZE]
Interesting posts here. I have a totally different perception being from a much older generation. When in nursing school, there were absolutely no exceptions to any rules. Back then if you got married, or came in late past 7:00 p.m. week day curfew, if you dismissed from school.

We went to school year round for three years just to get an R.N. Try that and then spend 18 months in Viet Nam (and you will get the military meaning of discipline).

Nonetheless, having taken courses recently I found most of my professors understanding and would work if a difficult personal problem came up (death in family, major illness - i.e. open heart surgery for myself, etc.). However, I never found a professor willing to let me not come to class for a month while I was out of town. So, it seems that not only was the professor being generous with his allowance of accepting your paper early, but was overlooking you missing a full month of classes.

I'm glad you worked this out. Like I said things have changed drastically in education over the past thirty to forty years, and most of the changes are for the better.

Good luck in your future classes.
A.S. General Transfer Chattanooga State 2009
B.S.L.A. Thomas Edison State College June 7, 2013
33 CLEP
18 DSST
Thanks! Smile Interesting history...
regarding the month overseas...I have a whole month off from college in April. The only day I'm missing his class is the day of my flight.
- [SIZE="2"]STG[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Rise of Colleges without Classes or Professors allvia 5 1,193 03-06-2019, 12:52 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Professors aren't always right DavidHume 29 4,724 02-23-2018, 12:19 PM
Last Post: davewill