Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
University withholding transcript
I withdrew from classes from a university I attended 5 years ago. I owed them around 4k. They sent it off to collections and now I owe 6k. What would be the best way to get my transcript if I don't have the 6k to pay the debt?
You can try negotiating with the school or the collections company to settle for a lower amount. Schools tend to be pretty strict about not issuing transcripts if you have a balance.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
You can't get it without settling the debt. Worse, other schools won't grant you a diploma if they can't get all of your transcripts. I would suggest making an offer to the collection agency.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Do you guys have any tips as far as trying to negotiate the debt? And what would be a good way to try to convince the university to release the transcripts if i agree to pay it? Or is it too late to make such an agreement since it's already at collections?
you're not going to convince them to release them until the debt is paid.

call up the agency, tell them you can't afford $6k, but you can afford x. See what happens. Usually they respond a lot nicer when a lawyer does this on your behalf, but i'm guessing you probably don't have the money to throw around on a lawyer.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(04-09-2019, 08:56 PM)jsd Wrote: Usually they respond a lot nicer when a lawyer does this on your behalf, but i'm guessing you probably don't have the money to throw around on a lawyer.

There are likely places the OP could get free legal aid though. I think this would be a great way to go! Maybe contact the local United Way to find out about free legal resources. As an alternative, find out it the closest law school offers free legal aid.

Messaging the OP directly. I actually know some resources.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
[-] The following 1 user Likes SweetSecret's post:
  • suzycupcake
(04-09-2019, 09:07 PM)SweetSecret Wrote:
(04-09-2019, 08:56 PM)jsd Wrote: Usually they respond a lot nicer when a lawyer does this on your behalf, but i'm guessing you probably don't have the money to throw around on a lawyer.

There are likely places the OP could get free legal aid though. I think this would be a great way to go! Maybe contact the local United Way to find out about free legal resources. As an alternative, find out it the closest law school offers free legal aid.

Not legal advice:

How many credits do you have to transfer? Remember the one-month degree? Consider screwing the debt and testing out to rack up the credits. Saylor courses are free + $25 proctor fee. This may be the path of least resistance.

If there's something you really need, consider seeking out free legal aid in your state who may at least point you in the right direction. If you agree to a lesser amount with the collections agency, make sure it's in writing and the documentation includes some language about finality and no future charges.

Ask first what they will accept if you negotiate. Then, offer less. They will work with you because they get paid based on how much they collect in some cases. Also note that as soon as you make a 'promise to pay', you may restart the clock on the negative credit reporting.

You might get a better deal by working with an intermediary and paying a fee if they are familiar with the process or have contacts in the industry. Consider a credit counselor, perhaps?
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
(04-09-2019, 11:19 PM)udi Wrote:
(04-09-2019, 09:07 PM)SweetSecret Wrote:

Not legal advice:

How many credits do you have to transfer? Remember the one-month degree? Consider screwing the debt and testing out to rack up the credits. Saylor courses are free + $25 proctor fee. This may be the path of least resistance.

If there's something you really need, consider seeking out free legal aid in your state who may at least point you in the right direction. If you agree to a lesser amount with the collections agency, make sure it's in writing and the documentation includes some language about finality and no future charges.

Ask first what they will accept if you negotiate. Then, offer less. They will work with you because they get paid based on how much they collect in some cases. Also note that as soon as you make a 'promise to pay', you may restart the clock on the negative credit reporting.

You might get a better deal by working with an intermediary and paying a fee if they are familiar with the process or have contacts in the industry. Consider a credit counselor, perhaps?

OP won't be able to just replace the credits and move on without getting a transcript, as almost any school will require transcripts from all previous schools before granting a degree.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
Declare bankruptcy (eg. if you were already thinking about doing it anyway for your other non-student debt).

Creditors can't take any action during the bankruptcy automatic stay to induce you to pay the debt such as withholding transcripts. Request 100 transcripts and send them sealed to yourself and anyone else. If the school refuses, have your lawyer call them. I think this is treated like student loan debt so you can't make it go away. So you need to get transcripts during the automatic stay because you won't get another chance for years. Talk to a bankruptcy lawyer if you got questions about this tactic.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
(04-10-2019, 12:35 AM)TrailRunr Wrote: Declare bankruptcy (eg. if you were already thinking about doing it anyway for your other non-student debt).

Creditors can't take any action during the bankruptcy automatic stay to induce you to pay the debt such as withholding transcripts. Request 100 transcripts and send them sealed to yourself and anyone else. If the school refuses, have your lawyer call them.  I think this is treated like student loan debt so you can't make it go away. So you need to get transcripts during the automatic stay because you won't get another chance for years. Talk to a bankruptcy lawyer if you got questions about this tactic.

To declare bankruptcy on $6,000 is insane.  That's just about the worst idea I've heard on this forum.  OP, please don't listen to nonsense like this, there are better ways to handle this.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Not_a_robot_101, ronaldemail1

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 222 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,610 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,547 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  American Public University? nomaduser 33 2,934 03-14-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 596 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of Idaho acquiring University of Phoenix bjcheung77 10 1,240 03-04-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,604 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 348 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 482 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Metropolia University Common Problems Resolved mariobros1985 21 2,486 02-24-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: therightstuff