Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Getting Transcripts From College Wanting Money (maybe)
(12-07-2020, 10:50 AM)nomaduser Wrote: or try to get a degree from Japan... or other non-English speaking countries lol

And I'll bet you know about as much of degrees outside the Anglo bubble as you do about immigrating to the UK. Nothing like a bit of xenophobia to brighten your day, hey?

Sincerely,
someone in a non-English speaking country.
(12-07-2020, 10:06 AM)innen_oda Wrote: And then there's the culture shock, which, unless you've lived abroad and know what to expect (a 6-month exchange in college, or 2-month holiday, don't count), can be quite the shock. Many people never get over it.

Since we're talking about the UK, they've been going nuts raising their visa fees in the last eight years, and closing the gates on post-qualification work visas. A distance degree will not get you the student visa you need to study and build a network in the UK for your post-qualification job, and an in-person degree will be expensive enough you're better off just paying your outstanding fees to your American university. To study in the UK, you also need to prove a substantial level of savings, which if you have them, just pay off your outstanding tuition.

As an expat myself, I would never tell someone not to move abroad if they feel that this is the right decision for them. But culture shock is not something to be underestimated. It's usually not the big things, either. The little things start to add up and overwhelm you. I would kill for a box of Stove Top stuffing right now. I am perfectly capable of making my own holiday dressing but that is beside the point; I can't quite make it taste like Stove Top. I really miss cranberry sauce.

And the visa process is not for the faint of heart either. I have no actual experience with the UK visa process but mine took MONTHS of work, was a huge hassle, and I am under the impression that I got off relatively lightly when compared to the UK.

Back to the main subject of the thread, online non-US degrees can be quite expensive when compared to university fees that you may not even owe anyway. Rectify the situation with ASU, if possible, and then maybe get a degree from COSC (because you'll have a ton of RA credits) before you start looking at options abroad.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(12-07-2020, 11:40 AM)rachel83az Wrote: It's usually not the big things, either. The little things start to add up and overwhelm you.

Soooooooo true. It's not the major cultural differences that get you (because those are usually amusing), it's when you just want to buy a carton of milk and it's late, and most of the stores are shut except this one dodgy place you eventually found miles away, and now you can't find where they put milk in stores in this bloody country, then you can't work out the difference between the 14 different types (and why do they all look like gross UHT milk?), and have no idea if the price is good or not because the currency still means nothing to you. And then you go to pay for it and the clerk is grumpy, and asks you some question you don't understand because your language skills still aren't up to par, so now she's all pissy at you and rolling her eyes while you try to work out what you've done wrong.

It's usually that moment that you seriously miss the days where just getting the parts to have a simple cup of tea wasn't this tremendous endeavour, and you really really just want to go back 'home'. XD

Migrating is hard enough without the added stress of study on top of it. I'd really advise against migration just to avoid paying off college tuition.

Talk to ASU and see what the outstanding balance is, and if there's a payment plan to get this rectified. Remember the university wants their money, and $0 is, to them, the worst option of all. Talk to them and see what you can do.
[-] The following 1 user Likes innen_oda's post:
  • rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,177 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,529 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,923 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 229 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 495 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 388 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 722 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 204 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 244 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  5 institutions paying fine plus how much college costs in every state bjcheung77 1 209 01-25-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: inor