Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
University withholding transcript
(04-10-2019, 10:51 AM)dfrecore Wrote: The person in post #13 said they didn't check his during enrollment.

Just saying that was likely a one-off.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

Wow- I've been lurking for a week now and did not know any of this. I still owe thousands for undergrad. And I was thinking of just getting another one bc might be cheaper in order to do a wgu mba. Looks like I'll need to rethink the strategy. That's okay. Goals are good for me. Challenge accepted.
(04-10-2019, 02:41 PM)Kate5555 Wrote: Wow- I've been lurking for a week now and did not know any of this. I still owe thousands for undergrad. And I was thinking of just getting another one bc might be cheaper in order to do a wgu mba. Looks like I'll need to rethink the strategy. That's okay. Goals are good for me. Challenge accepted.
Do you owe money to the school or money for student loans? If you owe for student loans, then you aren't in debt to the school, and they will release your transcript.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • davewill
(04-10-2019, 03:07 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(04-10-2019, 02:41 PM)Kate5555 Wrote: Wow- I've been lurking for a week now and did not know any of this. I still owe thousands for undergrad. And I was thinking of just getting another one bc might be cheaper in order to do a wgu mba. Looks like I'll need to rethink the strategy. That's okay. Goals are good for me. Challenge accepted.
Do you owe money to the school or money for student loans? If you owe for student loans, then you aren't in debt to the school, and they will release your transcript.

Yes, this is getting a bit conflated in this thread. The OP is in debt to the school, that's why they won't release their transcripts. As Sanantone stated above, that can happen when aid is revoked. It can also happen when the student has ancillary fees like parking tickets or library fines that they haven't paid. In normal cases, you can't get in debt to the school for tuition as the school will drop the student (either before or very shortly after the term starts) if they aren't paid up front.

Owing on student loans, or even defaulting on them, doesn't create a problem with transcripts, as the money is owed to the lender, not the school.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
ImAllLikeYouWannaDoWat - Get a loan that you can pay off monthly and stick to it for the next two years or so, do a 24 month or 36 month loan. Do not declare bankruptcy on such a nominal amount, if it was $600,000 that you owe for a purchase of a house or something, then you may consider that as an option.

Anyways, I also recommend getting the free legal advice option and see if they can drop that $6000 to $3000 or something you can manage. Speak with the school/creditors and work something out, they won't say no to any cash you give them, it's better than receiving nothing on their end...

BTW, I was in a similar situation, I owed $12,000 and was able to negotiate it down to a manageable amount. This was about 2 decades or so ago, I shouldn't have paid the school as this was when I was going to a private school that wasn't RA/NA and doesn't use the National Clearing House. But because you're thinking of the Big 3 or WGU, do it, get the loan and pay monthly.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(04-10-2019, 03:48 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: ... I shouldn't have paid the school as this was when I was going to a private school that wasn't RA/NA and doesn't use the National Clearing House.  ...

Unless, of course, you believe in paying your debts as a matter of principle.
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • JBjunior
Yes, you are correct, and that is the reason I paid them. I have no debts and I don't like owing anyone...
Update, oh wait, I do have debts, on the credit cards that regularly pay monthly and of course, the dreaded mortgage...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(04-10-2019, 12:58 AM)dfrecore Wrote: To declare bankruptcy on $6,000 is insane.  That's just about the worst idea I've heard on this forum.  OP, please don't listen to nonsense like this, there are better ways to handle this.

LEARN TO READ! Apparently you failed English comp because my caveat was in the very first sentence.. You can agree to disagree but this was insulting. You'd only do this if you were going to declare BK anyway on your other large consumer debt that was discharged.

**** You cannot clear this $6k debt with bankruptcy because it's non-dischargable student debt. Nobody declares bankruptcy on just student debt because none of it is dischargable. Another failure to read. ****

It's a perfectly fine strategy if you were going to declare BK anyway because you had another 100k in consumer debt.  If OP stiffed this school, he/she may have stiffed many others and might have been considering BK anyway.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
Using a financial aid refund check clearly would be the best option but would I be able to get into tesu and get financial aid without first submitting my transcripts? I tried to get into my local community college and they required all of my transcripts before I could get in. I'm hoping tesu would allow this. If not tesu are there any universities any of you know of that would accept me without transcripts initially and then I could just use the refund check to pay the debt.
(04-11-2019, 12:18 PM)ImAllLikeYouWannaDoWat Wrote: Using a financial aid refund check clearly would be the best option but would I be able to get into tesu and get financial aid without first submitting my transcripts? I tried to get into my local community college and they required all of my transcripts before I could get in. I'm hoping tesu would allow this. If not tesu are there any universities any of you know of that would accept me without transcripts initially and then I could just use the refund check to pay the debt.

You can get into TESU and start courses without all of your transcripts, but I don't know about financial aid. The bigger problem is that with TESU tuition rates, there there may not be much in the way of leftover aid coming your way. You might have better luck with New Mexico Junior College. A lot of people use their aid at a cheaper school like that with gives them leftover aid to use for cheap alternative credit (or in your case the old debt).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  American Public University? nomaduser 36 3,432 04-16-2024, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 315 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,716 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,761 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 739 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of Idaho acquiring University of Phoenix bjcheung77 10 1,309 03-04-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,736 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 400 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 564 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Metropolia University Common Problems Resolved mariobros1985 21 2,594 02-24-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: therightstuff