Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU: Final course needed, "Computer Programming/Programmable Logic Controllers"
Hello all,

I'm in the home stretch for my TESU BS "Nuclear Energy Engineering Technology!" I've completed everything including the capstone, but I still have this general elective requirement hanging out there, and I want to try to get done in time for June graduation.

"Computer Programming/Programmable Logic Controllers"

I don't really care to learn programming above and beyond the course, so the fastest way to close this out would be ideal. 

I'm currently working through the online degree python course, but wanted to see if there were any other options/suggestions. 

Thanks!

Justin
there are computer programming courses on study.com (Probably the fastest here).
There is StraighterLine C++ (has a lot of assignments, but really cool course)

If that is really the requirement? not sure about the "Programmable Logic Controller" part.
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----
SDC offers programming courses in Java (89 lessons/quizzes, a Developing a Java program assignment, final exam), C (80 lessons/quizzes, a Writing a User-defined Linked List assignment, final exam) , or C++ (82 lessons, a writing an employee management system assignment, final exam). Any of these three or the SL C++ suggested by posabsolute should work if your program only requires any programming language course. I would check first what the requirement is for sure since they tend to make a distinction between requiring and intro to programming vs any programming course for some degree requirements.

Saylor also offers two different programming courses, but idk how fast or challenging getting through the material may be for you. The only grade is P/F on the Final Exam. I think CS I is Java based and seems to transfer into TESU as COS-101 according to the TESU transfer agreement and then CS II is Java/C++ based. Comp Sci II is not listed on that transfer agreement so you would probably need to ask TESU for the course equivalency and if it would work for your degree requirement. 

There is also the Introduction to Computer Programming Using Java (not considered an introduction course by TESU) UExcel exam. I think this one transfers in as COS-208 iirc. 

If on the other hand they require an "introduction to a programming" language course to fill that slot, I think the only alternative options may be either the OD course you are taking or the CSU Global SSA basic programming challenge exam for $250 which someone recently was told by academic advising would transfer in as COS-300.
(03-25-2019, 06:02 PM)justinhemi Wrote: Hello all,

I'm in the home stretch for my TESU BS "Nuclear Energy Engineering Technology!" I've completed everything including the capstone, but I still have this general elective requirement hanging out there, and I want to try to get done in time for June graduation.

I don't really care to learn programming above and beyond the course, so the fastest way to close this out would be ideal. 

I'm currently working through the online degree python course, but wanted to see if there were any other options/suggestions. 

Thanks!

Justin
Ask them if they'll take this cert and report back to us. Do you have PLA? How did you fulfill the requirements?

https://pmmi.org/workforce-development/m...ogrammable
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
(03-25-2019, 07:06 PM)posabsolute Wrote: there are computer programming courses on study.com (Probably the fastest here).
There is StraighterLine C++ (has a lot of assignments, but really cool course)

If that is really the requirement? not sure about the "Programmable Logic Controller" part.

(03-25-2019, 07:45 PM)shadowgem Wrote: SDC offers programming courses in Java (89 lessons/quizzes, a Developing a Java program assignment, final exam), C (80 lessons/quizzes, a Writing a User-defined Linked List assignment, final exam) , or C++ (82 lessons, a writing an employee management system assignment, final exam). Any of these three or the SL C++ suggested by posabsolute should work if your program only requires any programming language course. I would check first what the requirement is for sure since they tend to make a distinction between requiring and intro to programming vs any programming course for some degree requirements.

Saylor also offers two different programming courses, but idk how fast or challenging getting through the material may be for you. The only grade is P/F on the Final Exam. I think CS I is Java based and seems to transfer into TESU as COS-101 according to the TESU transfer agreement and then CS II is Java/C++ based. Comp Sci II is not listed on that transfer agreement so you would probably need to ask TESU for the course equivalency and if it would work for your degree requirement. 

There is also the Introduction to Computer Programming Using Java (not considered an introduction course by TESU) UExcel exam. I think this one transfers in as COS-208 iirc. 

If on the other hand they require an "introduction to a programming" language course to fill that slot, I think the only alternative options may be either the OD course you are taking or the CSU Global SSA basic programming challenge exam for $250 which someone recently was told by academic advising would transfer in as COS-300.

Thanks all. The advisor that I spoke to about this requirement said that TESU's intro to programming, or equivalent would satisfy the requirement. I think I'm just going to have to sit down for 1 or 2 days and plow through one of these intro courses.

(03-26-2019, 02:16 AM)udi Wrote:
(03-25-2019, 06:02 PM)justinhemi Wrote: Hello all,

Thanks!

Justin
Ask them if they'll take this cert and report back to us. Do you have PLA? How did you fulfill the requirements?

https://pmmi.org/workforce-development/m...ogrammable

I did not do a PLA. What do you mean by "fullfill the requirements?" If you mean for the rest of my degree, it was a combination of previous college..., before I joined the Navy I did have about 2 years of college, so I did not have to take any math except Statistics which was a degree requirement, and then a bunch of electives, and the capstone..., and of course this random course requirement. The rest of the degree requirements were fulfilled by my 10 years in the Navy, and 11 years commercial nuclear power experience including 2 senior reactor operator licenses. 

I was surprised to not get credit for PLCs since I work with them everyday, and get training on them, but from what I can tell, some of these things are just required by TESU no matter what really. It's hard to figure out sometime.
(03-26-2019, 03:47 PM)justinhemi Wrote: Thanks all. The advisor that I spoke to about this requirement said that TESU's intro to programming, or equivalent would satisfy the requirement. I think I'm just going to have to sit down for 1 or 2 days and plow through one of these intro courses.

FYI, all the TESU courses are 12-week courses, you won't be able to complete much in 1-2 days. If you want to be able to accelerate through courses, you'll need to look at alternative credit via ACE options like Study.com, Straighterline, or Saylor.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(03-26-2019, 06:16 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(03-26-2019, 03:47 PM)justinhemi Wrote: Thanks all. The advisor that I spoke to about this requirement said that TESU's intro to programming, or equivalent would satisfy the requirement. I think I'm just going to have to sit down for 1 or 2 days and plow through one of these intro courses.

FYI, all the TESU courses are 12-week courses, you won't be able to complete much in 1-2 days. If you want to be able to accelerate through courses, you'll need to look at alternative credit via ACE options like Study.com, Straighterline, or Saylor.
I believe OP is referring to plowing through an equivalent ACE/NCCRS course in 1-2 days, rather than plowing through TESU's course.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(03-26-2019, 06:24 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(03-26-2019, 06:16 PM)Merlin Wrote:

I believe OP is referring to plowing through an equivalent ACE/NCCRS course in 1-2 days, rather than plowing through TESU's course.

That is what I was hoping they intended, but it was not evident from the post, so I figured I'd clarify to be safe.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Yep that's what I meant. Thanks all!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 17 729 3 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,983 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  ASNSM in Computer Science and TEEX Cybersecurity? Shorn27 2 362 03-18-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 262 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 233 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 273 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,161 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 392 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy