Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Books To Learn
I'm a big fan a reading books. I was wondering there was any books (fiction or non-fiction, real books. Stories. not textbooks) that I could use to "study" or CLEP and DSST courses. For example, I enjoy reading a whole bunch of self-help books which in doing so would help me with the Psychology CLEP. Also, I have read whole bunch if business books by CEO's (Howard Schultz of Starbucks, Blake Mycoskie of Toms Shoes, Big Stone of Twitter, Tony Hseich of Zappos etc.) and in doing so I believe I'm prepared for the Intro to Business DSST and Management CLEP which I plan to take.

If anyone understands what I am talking about I would appreciate any and all suggestions. I would prefer specific books as they relate to specific tests and preferably tests line up with a BSBA degree.
Are you matching up the books' content with the CLEP exam objectives? I can't imagine any pop-psychology self help books touch on pretty much any of the CLEP objectives. I'm not familiar with those business books, but I imagine it'd be a similar situation to the self-help books.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I'm looking for books that line up slightly if I have do to more studying of my own it's fine.

I don't know because I was using an example I passed the Psychology CLEP four years ago.

I plan on taking the management clep in a couple weeks, and based on the material I've looked over, it seems easy. I'm not sure if it's the books, or my life experience, or the fact I'm halfheartedly taking an intro to business course online. But I've got a feeling I'll do really well on the management clep.

I don't know what I was hoping for, but I thought someone on this forum might know books that go with along with exams even if it's just a little.
Well, if you ever want to take an Intro to Philosophy exam (there's no CLEP/DSST for it though), then Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder is a fiction novel that teaches you the history of philosophy as you read. It's geared to younger readers though.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(12-08-2018, 11:19 PM)jsd Wrote: Are you matching up the books' content with the CLEP exam objectives? I can't imagine any pop-psychology self help books touch on pretty much any of the CLEP objectives. I'm not familiar with those business books, but I imagine it'd be a similar situation to the self-help books.

I know exactly what you're asking- and so it's a tricky balance between finding a "storyline" that is interesting and "facts" that will be on the tests, however, I have a favorite you might like!!

When I first started using CLEP with my teens, they needed help with the critical thinking behind a subject- they were on the younger side and didn't have a good bank of experiences to do a deep dive, anyway, I stumbled on these case study books called "Taking Sides" that were AMAZING.

In a nutshell, they present a controversial question and then two professional academics in the field "debate" - one will do a "for" and the other "against." There is never a "right" answer, the point is to hear what people who are in the field think about both sides. I enjoyed them SO MUCH. Each book has at least a dozen of these debates/cases.

If you go into amazon and just search "taking sides" in the book tab, several should pop up. Look for USED because they are really too expensive new- also see if your library has them or even consider renting one. Here is an example of one for US History 1 (there is a CLEP for that) to give you an idea:

Issue: Were Socioeconomic Tensions Responsible for the Witchcraft Hysteria in Salem?

Yes: Paul Boyer and Stephen Nissenbaum, from Salem Possessed: The Social Origins of Witchcraft, Harvard University Press (1974)

No: Laurie Winn Carlson, from A Fever in Salem: A New Interpretation of the New England Witch Trials, Ivan R. Dee, Publisher (1999)

Paul Boyer and Stephen Nissenbaum argue that the Salem witchcraft hysteria of 1692 was prompted by economic and social tensions that occurred against the backdrop of an emergent commercial capitalism, conflicts between ministers and their congregations, and the loss of family lands, which divided the residents in Salem Town and Salem Village. Laurie Winn Carlson believes that the witchcraft hysteria in Salem was the product of people's response to physical and neurological behaviors resulting from an unrecognized epidemic of encephalitis.

----

Issue: Did the Election of 1828 Represent a Democratic Revolt of the People?

Yes: Sean Wilentz, from The Rise of American Democracy: Jefferson to Lincoln, W. W. Norton (2005)

No: Daniel Walker Howe, from What Hath God Wrought: The Transformation of America, 1815-1848, Oxford University Press (2007)

Bancroft Prize winner Sean Wilentz argues that in spite of its vulgarities and slanders, the 1828 election campaign "won by Andrew Jackson produced a valediction on the faction-ridden jumble of the Era of Bad Feelings and announced the rough arrival of two distinct national coalitions." Daniel Walker Howe denies that Jackson’s victory represented the coming of democracy to the United States and claims that, in the dirtiest campaign in American history, Jackson won on his personal popularity as a military hero and appealed to the agrarian virtues of an earlier age, while John Quincy Adams lost on a program of planned economic development and a diversified economy led by the national government.
-----

Here are examples from their Psychology Taking Sides:

Issue: Is Homosexuality Biologically Based?
YES: Jacques Balthazart, from “Minireview: Hormones and Human Sexual Orientation,” The Endocrine Society (2011)
NO: Stanton L. Jones and Alex W. Kwee, from “Scientific Research, Homosexuality, and the Church’s Moral Debate: An Update,” Journal of Psychology and Christianity (2005)

Neuroendocrinologist Jacques Balthazart argues that the prenatal endocrine environment has a significant influence on human sexual orientation and that genetic differences affecting behavior, either in a direct manner or by changing embryonic hormone secretion or action, may also be involved in determining life-long sexual orientation. Professor of psychology Stanton L. Jones and clinical psychologist Alex W. Kwee claim the current research on the biology of homosexuality provides no firm evidence for biological causation and leaves room for learning models of sexual orientation.

----
Issue: Are Psychiatric Medications Safe?
YES: Robert H. Howland, from “Do Psychiatric Medications Cause More Harm than Good?” Journal of Psychosocial Nursing (2015)
NO: Gary G. Kohls, from “Psychotropic Drugs, Are They Safe? Fourteen Lies That Our Psychiatry Professors in Medical School Taught Us,” Global Research (2016)

Robert H. Howland argues that although medications may be dangerous in some situations, the history of psychiatric pharmacology has demonstrated the actual benefits from the medications outweigh the potential harm. Gary G. Kohls, a retired physician, argues that many of the “facts” about psychiatric medications are myths, questioning the effectiveness and safety of their use.
-----

From Macroeconomics Taking Sides:

Issue: Is Declining Productivity a Concern?
Yes: Robert Gordon, from “Is U.S. Economic Growth Over? Faltering Innovation Confronts the Six Headwinds,” NBER (2012)
No: Scott Winship, from “The Affluent Economy: Our Misleading Obsession with Growth Rates,” Brookings Institution (2013)

Robert Gordon looks at economic growth through 2007 and the future path of potential output for the next 20 to 50 years. He has unorthodox ideas about how to increase the growth of the productivity frontier. The frontier is in a process of slowing down further. Many of the inventions that replaced tedious and repetitive labor by computers happened many years ago. He contends that inventions in the current age have given us more capabilities but will not significantly change labor productivity of the standard of living. Scott Winship argues that we are obsessed with growth rates to our detriment. He contends that we need to appreciate the magnitude of real economic gains that we have continued to experience over the last decade or so. It is harder for economies to maintain high rates of growth, but the implication of a stagnating economy is erroneous.
---

You get the idea. There are ones to align with many CLEP subjects.
I too much prefer reading to any sort of audio or visual format. I used the Saylor Sociology course, which consists of a single online textbook and InstantCert to study for the Sociology CLEP, and a general Anthropology text plus InstantCert for the Anthropology DSST. Textbooks are dirt cheap if you don't need the latest edition, typically $10 shipped. I think, in general, any good textbook is going to have want you need, you just want to supplement with either sample tests or InstantCert to help you focus in on the test.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • mysonx3
(12-09-2018, 06:48 PM)davewill Wrote: I too much prefer reading to any sort of audio or visual format. I used the Saylor Sociology course, which consists of a single online textbook and InstantCert to study for the Sociology CLEP, and a general Anthropology text plus InstantCert for the Anthropology DSST. Textbooks are dirt cheap if you don't need the latest edition, typically $10 shipped. I think, in general, any good textbook is going to have want you need, you just want to supplement with either sample tests or InstantCert to help you focus in on the test.

though I spend a lot of time in front of a screen, and I like learning things online-video-etc. but there is nothing I enjoy more than turning pages of paper while sitting in a chair sipping coffee. Wink
I'm honestly surprised by reading so many books by CEO'S and entrepreneurs has actually helped me a lot. I recently took the Intro to Business DSST and also the management CLEP. I passed both easily. And I was surprised to find a multiple questions where my first thought was about the book I read where I learned about that question. It was kind of crazy. I didn't think reading would prepare me so well!

Side note, I know intro to business is only a free elective for TESU the reason I took is for another school and it's long complicated story.

Additionally, I'm currently working on organizational communications on study.com and I'm just doing the quizzes without watching the videos or reading the transcript and I keep getting 100%. Reading this many books has prepared me very well for this one too. Basically every business book keeps reiterating the importance of communication and talks about it in one way or another.

I'm currently reading "Shoe Dog" by Phil Knight (founder of Nike).

Read more books people! You never know where it could take you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shout out to Dustin on the other Channel -Great Books Charles Fout 4 605 12-09-2023, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Books that Shaped America Charles Fout 2 303 09-24-2023, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Hardest languages to learn - 25 ranked bjcheung77 1 761 11-14-2022, 12:39 AM
Last Post: Johann
  Learn Chinese, Russian or Arabic? rachel83az 1 567 07-30-2022, 08:36 AM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  What courses should I take to learn the Data skills/tools I need? Vle045 8 832 06-15-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  can't log in to XAMK Learn wow 3 811 04-14-2022, 03:58 PM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  Walmart to pay 100% of college tuition & books bjcheung77 15 2,298 08-05-2021, 08:14 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Classes through XAMK Open Learn wow 5 1,599 09-15-2020, 03:19 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  I use Rate my Professors to learn and help other Students. Folks here should also. Life Long Learning 7 2,021 06-12-2020, 07:49 PM
Last Post: clep3705
  MOOC to learn French lillingworth 9 1,554 05-27-2020, 10:07 AM
Last Post: lillingworth