Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walmart to pay 100% of college tuition & books
I can see this happening for many many lower paying positions out there, this is one of the major perks that I want!

Haha... I'm looking for a job at Walmart! <I'll refer you if I get in for that job! oh wait... never mind, just kidding there>

Link: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/27/walmart-...iates.html
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 3 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • Life Long Learning, MNomadic, Vle045
This almost makes me want to get back to retail. In some cases, the pay is pretty much the same as I am making now….
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
It's limited to 10 particpating institutions:

Johnson & Wales University
The University of Arizona
The University of Denver
Pathstream
Brandman University
Penn Foster
Purdue University Global
Southern New Hampshire University
Wilmington University
Voxy EnGen

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/27/business/...index.html

Still the best education assistance i've seen in part-time retail Smile
BABA, New England College, 2019
[-] The following 2 users Like harrypotter's post:
  • MNomadic, Vle045
(07-27-2021, 07:14 PM)harrypotter Wrote: It's limited to 10 particpating partners:

Johnson & Wales University
The University of Arizona
The University of Denver
Pathstream
Brandman University
Penn Foster
Purdue University Global
Southern New Hampshire University
Wilmington University
Voxy EnGen

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/27/business/...index.html

Still the best education incentive i've seen in part-time retail Smile

As long as those schools have the major you want, that’s all that matters.   Big Grin
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
I wonder what the minimum number of hours is to be eligible for this perk, and whether the tuition program would cover a masters degree?

It would arguably be worth taking a job at Walmart for 15 hours a week if they cover graduate school programs.

the other question is whether they restrict what you can major in. I've seen some employee tuition programs that will only pay if you are getting a degree that can benefit your employer (business, marketing, etc.)
(07-28-2021, 01:02 AM)studyingfortests Wrote: I wonder what the minimum number of hours is to be eligible for this perk, and whether the tuition program would cover a masters degree?

It would arguably be worth taking a job at Walmart for 15 hours a week if they cover graduate school programs.

the other question is whether they restrict what you can major in. I've seen some employee tuition programs that will only pay if you are getting a degree that can benefit your employer (business, marketing, etc.)
From what I've gathered looking into the program in the past:

-there is no minimum amount of hours: all salaried and hourly employees are eligible
-not eligible for people with bachelor's already (therefore not eligible for masters)
-they are restricted to certain programs with certain institutions. When I looked into it in the past I found that they had a lot of options in business, supply chain, management information systems, IT, computer science, and cybersecurity. Also some associates degrees, general studies degrees, certificate programs, college readiness, highschool completion, language courses, and vocational training.

It looks like you can't look at the program details anymore without an account so they've probably made some changes since I last looked at it. I still think it's a great program for people stuck at a low wage job like Walmart to better their life and move onto something better.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 2 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • jcooke, Vle045
Only 28,000 of Walmart's 2.3 million employees took advantage of the $1 per day program. Hopefully, more will take advantage of this free program.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • jcooke, MNomadic
(07-28-2021, 01:53 AM)MNomadic Wrote: I still think it's a great program for people stuck at a low wage job like Walmart to better their life and move onto something better.

First, some people actually like working at Walmart. I know one.
Second, some people are working at Walmart specifically for this benefit. I know one of these too.
Third, some people work at Walmart because it's the best job they can get.  They have zero skills. I know many more people like this (they don't specifically work at Walmart, but they work at sucky jobs because they have zero f's to give about anything).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Calstar, jcooke
Before some folks on here rip on Walmart too much, I'd like to echo what dfrecore is saying. The first two are big ones. I work for the company myself, and just in my department alone there are 3 folks with masters degrees, and 1 with a doctorate. Most of the people I work with hold associates and bachelors degrees.
Walmart is forced to stay competitive in the retail game. Benefits are stronger than most similar businesses. Great insurance, 401k match up to 6%, stock can be bought at fractional shares and deducted from pay if you choose, discounts at just about anywhere you can imagine (Disney, new and used vehicles, cellphone service providers, real estate agents, etc.), 10% off of general merchandise at Walmart (anything from toilet paper to California king beds to the newest Playstation), the education program, short and long term disability options, etc. It is very easy to be approved for a leave of absence for education, which is what a lot of folks do when school rolls around. It allows them to keep their seniority, be able to accrue vacation time and keep their benefits during the 10 months they are in school while working part time or not at all except the summer months.
No, Walmart does not pay a livable wage. But, so long as you are a US associate, you're guaranteed to be paid a minimum of $11/hr, and the company will be raising the minimum to $15 by the end of 2022.
They set the bar for many other companies.

The programs currently offered through what was the $1/day program and now the $0 tuition program are as follows:
GED Program
High School Completion - Penn Foster

College Preparatory Program
College Start for High School Students - College Prep through Guild Education
College Start - College Prep through Guild Education

Language Programs
English for Academic Purposes - Wilmington University
English Language Learning - ENGEN

Certificate Programs
Project Management - PathStream
Business Analytics and Operations - PathStream
Frontline Manager Leadership Program - University of Denver
People and Business Leadership - Bellevue University
Business Process Improvement - SNHU
Human Resources Management - Wilmington University
Micro-Certificate in Operations and Supply Chain Management - JWU Online
Training and Staff Development - Wilmington University

Career Diplomas
Pharmacy Technician - Penn Foster
Optician - Penn Foster
Residential Electrical - Penn Foster
Industrial Maintenance - Penn Foster
Facilities Maintenance - Penn Foster
HVACR Technician - Penn Foster
Construction - Penn Foster
Plumbing - Penn Foster

Associates Degrees
AAS Information Technology - Purdue Univ Global
AS Information Technology - SNHU

Bachelors Degrees
Business Administration - Brandman University
Business Administration (Self-Paced) - Brandman University
BS Information Technology (Self-Paced) - Brandman University
BSBA - Purdue University Global
BSBA - Univ of Florida
BSBA - Univ of Arizona
BABA - Univ of Florida
BAS Cyber Operations - Univ of Arizona
Management and Leadership - Bellevue University
Cybersecurity - SNHU
Cloud Computing and Solutions - Purdue Univ Global
Information Technology - Bellevue Univ
Computer Information Systems - Bellevue Univ
Healthcare Management - Bellevue University
Computer Science - Univ of Florida
BS Electrical and Computer Engineering - Univ of Arizona
BAS Applied Computing - Univ of Arizona
TESU BSBA Gen Mgmt - In progress
Straighterline - 72 credits
Sophia - 35 credits
Study.com - 21 credits
TEEX - 6 credits
East MS CC, Jackson State CC, Univ of TN at Martin, Olivet Nazarene, TESU - 27 credits
Goal: teaching cert, state of GA
[-] The following 3 users Like jcooke's post:
  • jch, MNomadic, Pikachu
(07-29-2021, 12:30 PM)jcooke Wrote: Before some folks on here rip on Walmart too much, I'd like to echo what dfrecore is saying. The first two are big ones. I work for the company myself, and just in my department alone there are 3 folks with masters degrees, and 1 with a doctorate. Most of the people I work with hold associates and bachelors degrees.
Walmart is forced to stay competitive in the retail game. Benefits are stronger than most similar businesses. Great insurance, 401k match up to 6%, stock can be bought at fractional shares and deducted from pay if you choose, discounts at just about anywhere you can imagine (Disney, new and used vehicles, cellphone service providers, real estate agents, etc.), 10% off of general merchandise at Walmart (anything from toilet paper to California king beds to the newest Playstation), the education program, short and long term disability options, etc. It is very easy to be approved for a leave of absence for education, which is what a lot of folks do when school rolls around. It allows them to keep their seniority, be able to accrue vacation time and keep their benefits during the 10 months they are in school while working part time or not at all except the summer months.
No, Walmart does not pay a livable wage. But, so long as you are a US associate, you're guaranteed to be paid a minimum of $11/hr, and the company will be raising the minimum to $15 by the end of 2022.
They set the bar for many other companies.

Thanks for listing all the program options they have. I think seeing what's available will be very beneficial for people considering Walmart for that benefit.

For the record, I wasn't ripping on Walmart in the least. I actually applauded their program when I first mentioned it on this forum here and here. If I weren't already working on my owns plans with my own resources, I'd have jumped on that Walmart education benefit immediately. I actually had a friend whom I worked a retail job in HS with, who later moved on to Walmart say he liked Walmart much better and was better treated there. But of course that was in HS and he has since finished his degree and acquired a higher paying job that he can support himself and his future family with. 

I never said people can't enjoy their job there(I knew some), that they can't start working there specifically for this benefit(I would and recommend it to everyone who can't afford college), or that there aren't people who are only there because they lack other options(taking advantage of the career training/education benefit could change that).
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 2 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • jcooke, rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,181 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,534 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,927 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 230 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 497 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 389 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 729 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 205 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 245 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  5 institutions paying fine plus how much college costs in every state bjcheung77 1 210 01-25-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: inor