Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Walmart to Help Associates Get College Degrees
https://www-forbes-com.cdn.ampproject.or...-degree%2F

All part time, full time or salaried employees who've been with the company for 90 days are eligible for their new college plan. It costs the employee only ~$1 a day and allows them to pursue associates or bachelor's in business or supply chain management. If I didn't already have my own plan, I'd take a part time job at Walmart in a heartbeat for a benefit like that.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 3 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • cookderosa, sarg123, SDO
That's a great deal. I'd encourage kids who need help paying for college to work somewhere where this is going on (Home Depot, Starbucks, UPS, Walmart, etc.). It's crazy to think that working part-time through college can pay for your entire bachelor's degree, but it really is the case.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Sapientes
Walmart didn't even give me an interview when I graduated from high school, but this is a great deal for their employees.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
A guy I know got kicked out of Walmart and banned for shoplifting and other teenage shenanigans. He then applied and got hired at that same location. The manager who kicked him out constantly was very surprised to see him working (he was not the hiring manager).
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(05-30-2018, 08:23 PM)MNomadic Wrote: A guy I know got kicked out of Walmart and banned for shoplifting and other teenage shenanigans. He then applied and got hired at that same location. The manager who kicked him out constantly was very surprised to see him working (he was not the hiring manager).

Walmart hires a lot of questionable people. Their employees always seem miserable, so maybe they'll be happier now that they have a good benefit.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I would love to see a follow up knowing if people take advantage. In the companies that my husband has had this benefit (2) he used it both times (BS at company 1 and MBA at company 2) and HR was very open at his first company to say that no employee had ever used it for a degree. At his current company, people are doing it slowly, but that's because they've upped the requirement to master's degree. But in the 3 years he worked on his MBA, only 2 other employees at his campus started their master's - that's out of a couple hundred eligible. One more anecdote, I post various employee reimbursement or employee tuition funding programs on my blog / FB page from time to time, and it never even creates a mild buzz. People just don't seem to get excited about it - something that seriously blows my mind.

*When my kids are all finished with their degrees, I'll dip down to my husband's campus to pick up at least one more free degree for myself (I'm included in this perk). I just can't even imagine letting that benefit go unused.
(05-30-2018, 09:10 PM)cookderosa Wrote: I would love to see a follow up knowing if people take advantage. In the companies that my husband has had this benefit (2) he used it both times (BS at company 1 and MBA at company 2) and HR was very open at his first company to say that no employee had ever used it for a degree. At his current company, people are doing it slowly, but that's because they've upped the requirement to master's degree. But in the 3 years he worked on his MBA, only 2 other employees at his campus started their master's - that's out of a couple hundred eligible. One more anecdote, I post various employee reimbursement or employee tuition funding programs on my blog / FB page from time to time, and it never even creates a mild buzz. People just don't seem to get excited about it - something that seriously blows my mind.

*When my kids are all finished with their degrees, I'll dip down to my husband's campus to pick up at least one more free degree for myself (I'm included in this perk). I just can't even imagine letting that benefit go unused.

The main reason I started this journey (and found you wonderful people :-) ) is that my company does tuition reimbursement. I'll be taking advantage of it very soon.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 1 user Likes quigongene's post:
  • cookderosa
(05-30-2018, 09:10 PM)cookderosa Wrote: I would love to see a follow up knowing if people take advantage.  In the companies that my husband has had this benefit (2) he used it both times (BS at company 1 and MBA at company 2) and HR was very open at his first company to say that no employee had ever used it for a degree.  At his current company, people are doing it slowly, but that's because they've upped the requirement to master's degree.  But in the 3 years he worked on his MBA, only 2 other employees at his campus started their master's - that's out of a couple hundred eligible.  One more anecdote, I post various employee reimbursement or employee tuition funding programs on my blog / FB page from time to time, and it never even creates a mild buzz.  People just don't seem to get excited about it - something that seriously blows my mind.  

*When my kids are all finished with their degrees, I'll dip down to my husband's campus to pick up at least one more free degree for myself (I'm included in this perk).  I just can't even imagine letting that benefit go unused.

My husband has it, $5,250/yr and it drives me INSANE that he's not taking advantage!!!  That's a FREE degree right there, but since he doesn't really need it (he's in IT Sales), he doesn't care.  Sigh...

Back when I had it at a company, I took advantage, and I'm so glad now, because I took 5 UL courses over a couple of years at a very expensive (to me) college.  The reason I went there was not because it was a good school or anything - it's that I had FINALLY found a college that didn't go based on the semester system, which I hated with a passion.  I cannot get through a full semester of classes, I lose interest by week 7, and by week 10 I'm out of my mind.  That length of time just about kills me.  So a school with 10-week terms was awesome, and they even had 4-week courses with weekend intensives.  I tried that out, and it was brutal, but still better than the semester system.  I was also finally able to take courses that actually interested me - I didn't have to do stupid CC generic courses that I had no interest in.   3 of the courses ended up going to my HR AOS, 1 was International Business, and 1 Business Comm.  Between those and my previous CC and 4-yr school courses, I was pretty darn close to the BSBA at TESU.

After I moved away, and no longer had the benefit, I just couldn't make myself go back to traditional school.  And, that is how I found this forum.  Then I got that free Sophia course and then The Institutes free course in 2015. And then I found that final pesky Organizational Theory course I needed but couldn't find for cheap - and my CC was offering it during a summer term (8 weeks, hallelujah!), and the rest is history!!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa
(05-30-2018, 08:30 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(05-30-2018, 08:23 PM)MNomadic Wrote: A guy I know got kicked out of Walmart and banned for shoplifting and other teenage shenanigans. He then applied and got hired at that same location. The manager who kicked him out constantly was very surprised to see him working (he was not the hiring manager).

Walmart hires a lot of questionable people. Their employees always seem miserable, so maybe they'll be happier now that they have a good benefit.
I laugh because my brother tried not to get hired at Walmart when called into an interview while on unemployment because he wanted a less big-corp more small business job. He wore crazy mismatched plaid suiting and provided a highly unprofessional email address. He got hired as a department manager for lawn and garden. He actually enjoyed that position for the 18 months or so he worked there.

(05-31-2018, 01:15 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-30-2018, 09:10 PM)cookderosa Wrote: I would love to see a follow up knowing if people take advantage.  In the companies that my husband has had this benefit (2) he used it both times (BS at company 1 and MBA at company 2) and HR was very open at his first company to say that no employee had ever used it for a degree.  At his current company, people are doing it slowly, but that's because they've upped the requirement to master's degree.  But in the 3 years he worked on his MBA, only 2 other employees at his campus started their master's - that's out of a couple hundred eligible.  One more anecdote, I post various employee reimbursement or employee tuition funding programs on my blog / FB page from time to time, and it never even creates a mild buzz.  People just don't seem to get excited about it - something that seriously blows my mind.  

*When my kids are all finished with their degrees, I'll dip down to my husband's campus to pick up at least one more free degree for myself (I'm included in this perk).  I just can't even imagine letting that benefit go unused.

My husband has it, $5,250/yr and it drives me INSANE that he's not taking advantage!!!  That's a FREE degree right there, but since he doesn't really need it (he's in IT Sales), he doesn't care.  Sigh...

Back when I had it at a company, I took advantage, and I'm so glad now, because I took 5 UL courses over a couple of years at a very expensive (to me) college.  The reason I went there was not because it was a good school or anything - it's that I had FINALLY found a college that didn't go based on the semester system, which I hated with a passion.  I cannot get through a full semester of classes, I lose interest by week 7, and by week 10 I'm out of my mind.  That length of time just about kills me.  So a school with 10-week terms was awesome, and they even had 4-week courses with weekend intensives.  I tried that out, and it was brutal, but still better than the semester system.  I was also finally able to take courses that actually interested me - I didn't have to do stupid CC generic courses that I had no interest in.   3 of the courses ended up going to my HR AOS, 1 was International Business, and 1 Business Comm.  Between those and my previous CC and 4-yr school courses, I was pretty darn close to the BSBA at TESU.

After I moved away, and no longer had the benefit, I just couldn't make myself go back to traditional school.  And, that is how I found this forum.  Then I got that free Sophia course and then The Institutes free course in 2015. And then I found that final pesky Organizational Theory course I needed but couldn't find for cheap - and my CC was offering it during a summer term (8 weeks, hallelujah!), and the rest is history!!

My union has an education benefit that will pay 50% of an MHA but not MPH. It also requires a 2x commitment post grad. So if you go to school for 2 years, it’s 4 more years of service required after graduating or you have to repay with 8% interest any tuition paid. I’ve considered it, but it’s not the degree I want and it limits my options to move from this area which has been increasingly unaffordable. I’ve tried convincing myself it’s a good deal, but I like the idea of uncomplicating a relocation in the next couple of years when tolls and parking and rent get to be too much.
My employer kicks in $5k a year and I'd be stupid to leave it on the table. That's a $5k/yr raise that i would be willfully turning down.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 2 users Like jsd's post:
  • cookderosa, greencouch

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can I get a High School Diploma after getting my GED and Associates? IReallyNeedADegree 24 2,585 02-06-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  What is the difference between College and University (USA) Personherebb9 8 1,285 12-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  College of Golf Alpha 5 676 09-11-2022, 07:30 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Richest US College Alpha 6 897 09-09-2022, 04:31 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  What does college look like in 10...20 years? cardiacclep 10 1,452 08-25-2022, 04:48 AM
Last Post: MitchellHolst
  College of Winterhold Alpha 1 516 07-28-2022, 12:32 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  College grad paralyzed after chiropractor visit bjcheung77 5 876 07-16-2022, 05:14 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Bullying in College , What do I do next? 2L8 15 11,741 06-03-2022, 06:27 AM
Last Post: stephaniesmith44
  Has anyone taken a math course at community college? picgirl27 2 697 04-03-2022, 09:54 AM
Last Post: picgirl27
  What Is College Worth in The Media Industry? Kal Di 6 1,079 02-28-2022, 06:48 AM
Last Post: rachel83az