Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VUL introducing new doctorate in May
(11-05-2021, 09:18 AM)eLearner Wrote:
(11-02-2021, 02:16 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I hope they become an accredited university. They really need to get that RA done.
They are an accredited University. TRACS is their accreditor. I don't know if their current resources will translate well to a regional accreditor. It's a very small operation that is still getting its footing after years of financial issues.

RA is much different than NA. Like I said they need that RA accreditation. Doctoral degrees with RA accreditation are looked at differently than NA. Many small schools have RA credit so that's no excuse. The school goes back to the 1880's. Many people want an accreditation that's not through a religious affiliation and that's all that they have. Why in 130+ years couldn't they get RA? According to their own website the accreditation expired back in June. 

This status is in force through June 30, 2021. 
(11-05-2021, 09:53 AM)ss20ts Wrote: RA is much different than NA. Like I said they need that RA accreditation. Doctoral degrees with RA accreditation are looked at differently than NA. Many small schools have RA credit so that's no excuse. The school goes back to the 1880's. Many people want an accreditation that's not through a religious affiliation and that's all that they have. Why in 130+ years couldn't they get RA? According to their own website the accreditation expired back in June. 

Different, but how much different is a point of debate. I've seen the claim countless times over the years, but I've yet to see a standard-by-standard comparative analysis to substantiate it.

Mentioning VUL's small size is not an excuse, it's a legitimate reason. Some small schools do have regional accreditation, but how many are as small as VUL? VUL is not just small, it's VERY small and certainly far smaller compared to the norm that have regional accreditation.

National accreditation came a number of years after the school started, so who's to say they didn't have regional accreditation at one time first, lost it or relinquished it for one reason or another, and then became nationally accredited? It appears more research is needed to confirm.

As for their accreditation status, from TRACS:

Accredited Status

Last Accreditation Review: Reaffirmation II granted April 2021. Institution meets all standards. No follow-up reporting required.

https://tracs.org/virginia-university-of-lynchburg
[-] The following 1 user Likes eLearner's post:
  • DeanLewis
Has anyone heard news on their new doctorate?

I don't care about their accreditation right now.
[-] The following 2 users Like ashkir's post:
  • Leedeedee, Taymass
My mind right now
***Please be a DBA-Please be a DBA-Please be a DBA***
Achieved
BSBA - GM: TESU
BSc(Hons) Politics: University of Plymouth
GradCert in Computing: London Metropolitan University
Prince2 Certified
Lean Six Sigma Green Belt

In Progress
Certificate in Technology Leadership: Cornell University (free through employer)

Planned
Master in Public Administration: Marconi University
Certificate in Accounting: Cornell University
[-] The following 1 user Likes Leedeedee's post:
  • ss20ts
I am assuming DBA or Leadership will be next. The current DHA degree comes from the school of business so I can only imagine that the next focus will be a business-related field.
Degrees In Progress:
EVMS Doctor of Health Science
Completed Degrees:
Doctor of Healthcare Administration Dec 2021 
Masters of Business Administration July 2022
Masters of Public Administration '19
Masters of Arts in Urban Affairs '17
Masters of Arts in Criminal Justice '16
Bachelors of Science in Police Studies '14
Advanced Graduate Certificate in Criminal Investigations '15
Were they talking about May 2021 or 2022?
(11-07-2021, 12:07 PM)Leedeedee Wrote: My mind right now
***Please be a DBA-Please be a DBA-Please be a DBA***
Yeah. If it is an accelerated DBA and I'm going to be like holy shit and jump on board so fast... and drop out of south for it and wait lol.
(11-07-2021, 10:55 PM)newdegree Wrote: I am assuming DBA or Leadership will be next. The current DHA degree comes from the school of business so I can only imagine that the next focus will be a business-related field.
I'm really hoping for DBA or a generic DLead.
(11-08-2021, 12:28 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Were they talking about May 2021 or 2022?
May 2022 for Cohort 1. Announcement expected any time now.
[-] The following 6 users Like ashkir's post:
  • DeanLewis, Leedeedee, newdegree, Novo, ss20ts, SteveFoerster
(11-08-2021, 02:05 PM)ashkir Wrote:
(11-08-2021, 12:28 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Were they talking about May 2021 or 2022?
May 2022 for Cohort 1. Announcement expected any time now.

I'll admit to being really interesting to see what the announcement is. An ultra low cost DBA from an HBCU with that format that one can do by distance would be very interesting to a number of people I know.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
(11-05-2021, 11:35 AM)eLearner Wrote:
(11-05-2021, 09:53 AM)ss20ts Wrote: RA is much different than NA. Like I said they need that RA accreditation. Doctoral degrees with RA accreditation are looked at differently than NA. Many small schools have RA credit so that's no excuse. The school goes back to the 1880's. Many people want an accreditation that's not through a religious affiliation and that's all that they have. Why in 130+ years couldn't they get RA? According to their own website the accreditation expired back in June. 

Different, but how much different is a point of debate. I've seen the claim countless times over the years, but I've yet to see a standard-by-standard comparative analysis to substantiate it...

Of course now we're supposed to be in the age of "institutional accreditation." I'm not sure that actually means much of anything except someone wants us to think there's less of a difference than there used to be.  And I'm really not sure that there was any significant difference, then or now because as you say, I've never seen any type of side by side analysis either.  And I'm not talking about standards of things like how many books do you have in your library, I mean academic standards.  I don't know how these things are measured but it seems like it could be more than a little slippery.
The pros and cons of having regional accreditors go national (opinion) (insidehighered.com)
(11-09-2021, 08:31 PM)Alpha Wrote:
(11-05-2021, 11:35 AM)eLearner Wrote: Different, but how much different is a point of debate. I've seen the claim countless times over the years, but I've yet to see a standard-by-standard comparative analysis to substantiate it...

Of course now we're supposed to be in the age of "institutional accreditation." I'm not sure that actually means much of anything except someone wants us to think there's less of a difference than there used to be.  And I'm really not sure that there was any significant difference, then or now because as you say, I've never seen any type of side by side analysis either.  And I'm not talking about standards of things like how many books do you have in your library, I mean academic standards.  I don't know how these things are measured but it seems like it could be more than a little slippery.
The pros and cons of having regional accreditors go national (opinion) (insidehighered.com)

That article is interesting, and the first thing that comes to mind is the impact it would have on national accreditors. As they mentioned in the article, regional accreditors already have been accrediting outside their regions. However, their bread and butter has still largely been with the major schools within their immediate territories, and that's likely a product of having accredited those schools for so long and having established strong roots with them, some of them being the first schools those accreditors ever backed. But if they operated outside their territories at the same level that NA accreditors do, I can't see how NA accreditors could survive. I'm sure some people would rejoice over their demise, but throwing the baby out with the bath water has never been a wise approach. 

If they all died out, most of the schools, including the good ones (and they do exist) would likely be gone, too. That means more opportunities taken away from people who need them, and that's never something I'm on board with. Many of the small NA schools operate well but are too small in financial resources and staffing to afford the cost of regional accreditation, so with no place else to go, and with the chances of surviving unaccredited so incredibly slim, most would have to shut their doors.

Back in 2015 it was reported that Duke spent over 2 million dollars on accreditation over the course of a few years, and a big chunk of that was devoted just to handling accreditation functions. Some outlets have disputed that number, but regional accreditation can still account for as much as 10 percent of a school's expenses, and when you're already a small school that doesn't bring in much money, that 10 percent can be way too much to handle.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DBA from EIU Paris - 2yrs total €5000 WES recognised as Doctorate? FrHaseKopf 5 309 03-17-2024, 11:15 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Seeking Doctorate in National Security or Public Policy FireMedic_Philosopher 23 878 03-07-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  $15000 Doctorate NA ashkir 127 16,366 03-03-2024, 02:14 AM
  32-credit doctorate in systems engineer? It's possible! sanantone 3 1,756 03-03-2024, 01:32 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Universidad Azteca's new doctorate programs Kalas 8 709 02-25-2024, 07:35 AM
Last Post: Messdiener
  EIMT Doctorate Program reputation EducationSeeker 8 3,394 02-16-2024, 01:36 AM
Last Post: sbeaty
  Online doctorate degrees Malaysia Johann1 6 842 02-08-2024, 01:52 AM
  FREE doctorate in Economy & Government (in Spanish, in Spain) Kalas 1 436 01-26-2024, 08:47 AM
Last Post: Harry101
  Help me pick my next doctorate! jfitzg8876 5 870 11-07-2023, 04:47 PM
  Liberty University Doctorate DBA Rhashad 20 3,715 09-28-2023, 11:07 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess