Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU - BSCC (BS in Cloud Computing)
Whelp, we heard back from WGU and on the academic evaluation they did not take any credits from Devry and he would be starting from scratch. I am shocked! Not even English Comp I!

At least TESU applied 42 credits to a BA in Computer Science degree and 61 to a BS in Tech Studies.

I think it goes without saying we are going to stick with TESU, but appreciate the advice on the certs end and am going to also focus on the Red Hat especially, which we do see mentioned as requirements on job listings.

My question: We do see the "Bachelors in Computer Science or related field" listed as well on job listings - do you think a BS in Technical Studies coupled with a lifetime of experience be enough? I would imagine if he had the BACS it would solidify it best or does it not matter as much since he has so much experience as a Senior Dev? He's basically a Senior Engineer (web development) now, trying to pivot to a DevOps Engineer.

We are leaning towards the BACS simply bc of what we are seeing consistently listed on open positions, but of course, if we can get away with BS in Tech Studies with a lot less work, we'd like that, too!

Thanks!

Smile
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
(03-25-2020, 01:31 PM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote: ... and am going to also focus on the Red Hat especially, which we do see mentioned as requirements on job listings.

just got this in my email -- not RedHat -- but maybe you find something useful (and yes, it looks like spam, but its not -- please don't report me HA HA --- mmm, that sounds exactly like something a spammer would say)

Sale On All Remote Training and Certifications Plus More News! | The Linux Foundation Training Newsletter

Course Catalog --- e-Learning
https://training.linuxfoundation.org/tra...e-learning

Certification Catalog
https://training.linuxfoundation.org/cer...n/catalog/

Use Coupon Code ANYWHERE30 to save 30%
Act fast, sale ends on April 7, 2020!
[-] The following 1 user Likes bluebooger's post:
  • CarpeDiem8
Thank you so much @Bluebooger!!!!
Tech studies requires UL that is harder to find and also two lab sciences. More difficult to plan and not much resources and help is available for the capstone either.

Computer Science many people on these sites have done so planning is easy. Also, so many people on this site have done the liberal arts capstone so there is a lot guidance and help in that department too.

I have no idea which one is better though. That is interesting they accepting so much less for the computer science especially considering the amount of free electives.

For either degree, just start with the free sophia to fill up the gen eds and go from there.

If he has enough credits he can both especially if he plans on taking 16 credits at TESU since the two capstones and sos-110 would put him 9. Or at the very least you can both on the evaluation until you decide which one to pursue.
(03-25-2020, 02:00 PM)natshar Wrote: Tech studies requires UL that is harder to find and also two lab sciences. More difficult to plan and not much resources and help is available for the capstone either.

Computer Science many people on these sites have done so planning is easy. Also, so many people on this site have done the liberal arts capstone so there is a lot guidance and help in that department too.

Ahhh, I didn't think of it that way, thank you @natshar! Great point, yes, the capstone is different!

And yes, comparing the 2 degrees (I planned them both out) it appears that the 19 credits more that he'd have to do for the BACS, 12 of them are just gen ed, which he can get free through Sophia.org! Now it's a question of whether he wants to deal with data structures, calc, and discrete math which he doesn't have to have with tech studies, he can do it, but does he *want* to, is the question, hahaha! Tongue

Thanks again!
BA Computer Science is worth the extra time investment, even if the course work is more tedious. Especially if he doesn't need it ASAP. Recruiters are going to hit that up more than any other possible degree. He might have an awesome job now, but in a year or two with AWS certs and experienced recruiters will be hounding him on LinkedIn offering $120k+ Wink

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
[-] The following 1 user Likes xicovu's post:
  • CarpeDiem8
Thanks, Chris!

The silver lining with this whole COVID-19 is that he's not commuting 110+ miles a day right now and can focus on the UL and difficult courses, then leave the easier courses for when he's back to commuting and has way less time and focus.

Thanks, again!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia.org python transfer to wgu (cloud computing) Clepking100 6 2,086 07-19-2022, 03:19 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Information WGU Revamps Cloud Computing Degree(AWS, Azure, Multicloud Tracks) MNomadic 11 4,048 04-14-2022, 11:27 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  WGU announces the B.S. in Cloud Computing akr680 30 5,742 03-20-2020, 10:15 AM
Last Post: xicovu
  WGU's new BS in Cloud and Systems Administration dfrecore 3 3,449 10-29-2017, 06:17 AM
Last Post: jsd