Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU - MS IT Management or MBA Information Technology
Hey all,
I am about to graduate from TESU with a BSBA (yea) so I am looking ahead already.

Based on a lot of the posts here and from my online review, I been looking at WGU for grad school. I am in the technology field so I would like to enhance my 'pedigree' with an IT based masters. I see the MS IT Management and an MBA IT Management, I know there is not easy answer to this since everyone is different but..My question is:

Which of the paths would be a simpler one to take for me (speed and ease of classes)?

As you would expect, I am just trying to get the checkmark done on my resume so there is no particular job need for this just to get the degree. btw, I don't mind writing papers (actually prefer it to exams) so that would probably effect my decision a bit if there was a difference between the programs.

Just looking to see if anyone has experience with either of these programs and any additional thoughts.
Thanks in advance.
What do you do in IT? What's your current position/title? Where do you ultimately want to go, or what future position is your goal of obtaining?
The two degrees may have IT in their degree concentration name, but they are radically different.
I'll wait for your reasons or response and you may just want to stop for a bit and compare their curriculum...

But for me, when I looked at Grad School for IT, I narrowed it down to 3 schools and 3 different programs. It depends on when you get there,
your decision may change, so... When I get to the graduation point, I'll be reviewing my final choice.
Finally, I assume WGU is your choice in school. Have you looked into a few before you decided they were the one?

Update: If you read my signature, you'll see the 3 programs I'm interested in after I complete my BSBA.
I don't recall, which concentration is your BSBA? Was it General Management or CIS?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
If you look at the 2 degrees, they have nothing in common - not a single course. One is an MBA, with a couple of IT courses (kind of a "concentration"). The other is entirely IT. So I guess the question is (and bjcheung77 stated), what do you want to do with your degree?

And MBA is pretty generic (not that that's a bad thing, as it's well-known in the business world because you can kind of guess what courses people have taken because they are all so similar to each other). But it's a very useful degree to have, and may be a pre-req for many upper level jobs, not just IT management.

The IT Management degree is much more specific. Not as transferrable in the business world. But may be a better bet for you if that's where you want to stay. And MAY be a more respected degree, but I don't really know.

I would do some research on different jobs in the IT world, and see what they want you to have. Ask your boss what he/she thinks. Ask upper management at your company. Ask others in the IT world.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
To answer both...I am already at a sr management level so I guess I am just trying to figure out the 'easier path'. Like i said, it is for no official reason, i would just like to keep going and accomplish the most I can as quickly as i can. I was hoping there was anyone that has actually pursued the IT related Masters and had any insight.

Kind of like the 'easier' tests thread on the undergrad conversations.

I appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks
Well, if you're just looking at something being "easy", then I would have to say that after taking all of the BSBA courses/exams, you would probably find the MBA the easier route - everything will be an extension of what you already know.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:Well, if you're just looking at something being "easy", then I would have to say that after taking all of the BSBA courses/exams, you would probably find the MBA the easier route - everything will be an extension of what you already know.

+1, That's the easiest option as it has less courses in relation to IT as well. There are multiple graduates and individuals currently enrolled in MBA at WGU.
However, not specifically in IT. If you read their reviews, you can get a sort of an idea from each degree program. If you want the absolute fastest way, in 4 months time, you can get that degree from Patten - MBA IT.

Having been lurking on several forums for the last dozen or more years (DegreeInfo, DegreeForum, TechExams, DegreeDiscussions, CertForums, etc), and reading some very fine reviews of schools, I decided after failing/falling off track multiple times, to start from scratch earlier this year. These reviews helped me decide on which school and which programs are viable for myself.

Passit1 - http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...ess-8.html
Mednat - http://www.degreeforum.net/graduate-scho...ience.html
Rebel100 - http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...eview.html
BruceT - http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...-went.html

iwant2stalku (Patten MBA Finance) - http://www.degreeforum.net/graduate-scho...onths.html
iwant2stalku (TESU BSBA) - http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...onths.html
Hodges University - http://www.degreeforum.net/graduate-scho...grams.html
There are more reviews on each forum, it's ultimately up to the person taking the courses/exams, as one may find it easy, another find it different.

Essentially, if a pregnant woman (iwant2stalku) can do it... I can do it as well, although i'm slow, I know i'll be able to do it...
With the help of Dfrecore and her spreadsheet/wise info in the forums, along with degree plans I looked at from Sanantone, I was able to map a degree.
Now is the time to accomplish what I need by going through it thoroughly... I am a bit past half way there already to my BSBA!

BTW, it's so funny, whenever I did my SBM and International Business discussions, your alias comes up a day before me...
I was wondering how far you've gone, or have you completed the International Business yet. I just have the project and proctored final.
Just submitted my proctor form already, hoping it gets approved so they can send me whatever they need to send me.

I think someone here has done the MBA and is now doing the MSISA at WGU. The program is now Cybersecurity and Information Assurance, though.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:I think someone here has done the MBA and is now doing the MSISA at WGU. The program is now Cybersecurity and Information Assurance, though.

Yes, that would be Mednat, but he quit the program for the MSISA. I'm not too certain why, I am deciding on that program.
But everything will be clearer for me when I make the decision by the end of this year, when i'm done with my BSBA.
I am on track to getting everything done by Oct, so I can graduate this coming December. Hope nothing arises...

bjcheung77 Wrote:BTW, it's so funny, whenever I did my SBM and International Business discussions, your alias comes up a day before me...
I was wondering how far you've gone, or have you completed the International Business yet. I just have the project and proctored final.
Just submitted my proctor form already, hoping it gets approved so they can send me whatever they need to send me.

ha, funny.
I am/was actually taking 3 classes. Strategic Business Management, International Business, and Consumer Behavior.

Strategic Business Management - Done and graded
Consumer Behavior - Submitted Project, graded, and awaiting final.
International Business - Submitted Project NOT GRADED YET, and then awaiting final.

Frustrating part is I submitted my Consumer Behavior project and it was graded the next day, IB project was submitted over 10 days ago and nothing yet. I emailed about sending out my Proctored Final but they are waiting until my project is graded from both classes. I am at a stand still and I NEED to get these grades in ASAP.

Sigh....

Good luck to you.

*btw, thanks for all the info.
bjcheung77 Wrote:Yes, that would be Mednat, but he quit the program for the MSISA. I'm not too certain why, I am deciding on that program.
But everything will be clearer for me when I make the decision by the end of this year, when i'm done with my BSBA.
I am on track to getting everything done by Oct, so I can graduate this coming December. Hope nothing arises...

That was me. I quit the MS ISA program for a number of reasons. The primary being it was far too tedious for me to complete with no ultimate use for the degree. I was going to do it for fun, but I found the coursework to be ambiguous when compared to the MBA program. They have since revamped the security masters, but the version I took felt very non-technical and focused mostly on policy creation.

The MBA Program was laid out very well, and it was typically very clear what was expected of me based on the course instructions. The MS ISA was the polar opposite of this. My WGU advisor helped significantly by requesting course tips as soon as I joined a course, and they would have been infinitely more difficult without them, but I didn't even know the tips existed while I was in the MBA program, because the coursework itself was very clear.

The MS IT Masters and MBA IT Management are two very different degrees. The IT Masters focuses more on the technical side, whereas the IT Management is an MBA with mostly business coursework. Without knowing your specific situation, I would say unless you are managing highly technical consultants, I would (and did) choose the MBA for a mid-career manager in IT.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  LAPU Ascend CBE MS in Instructional Design and Technology Jonathan Whatley 2 214 04-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Master's in Security Management CBE Online Jeff7 8 580 02-27-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  WGU MS Information Technology Management quigongene 22 7,583 09-05-2023, 09:17 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  University of Cape Town - Masters in Information Technology nyvrem 1 404 08-30-2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  CBE Masters in IT Management from South College EverSpinning 14 1,033 08-13-2023, 05:31 PM
Last Post: EverSpinning
  Augusta University Msc InfoSec Management <7k durain 13 1,295 07-11-2023, 10:40 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  UCMO: Online MS Occupational Safety Management 30-36 credit, $11.8K-$14.2K bjcheung77 6 812 05-18-2023, 09:04 PM
  Study MSc in Environmental Management for free with the Open University UK HVzR5 3 714 05-13-2023, 02:53 PM
Last Post: HVzR5
  WGU Master Cybersecurity and Information Assurance Imbanewbie 17 3,616 05-10-2023, 02:22 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Is Swiss School of management Accredited? soulblader 4 1,754 03-06-2023, 04:52 PM