Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU MSCSIA course flexibility???
Greetings,

I previously attended WGU and completed a lot of my undergrad work here under two different degree programs. I had approximately four different program mentors due to changing programs and general attrition. I found some of these program mentors did not much care how I scheduled my classes as long as the work was completed and some wanted me to follow their course selections without deviation. The latter is a problem for me as it's my money and I know how I learn best.

For those that may have enrolled in the Master of Science, Cyber Security and Information Assurance program, have you found the mentors to be flexible in terms of scheduling or have they adhered to the "standard path" as listed in the MSCSIA Program Guidebook?

This, unfortunately, will be a make or break decision for me in terms of this program.
That's up to your mentor, and you can request a new mentor if the two of you don't get along well.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(07-15-2019, 05:02 PM)jsd Wrote: That's up to your mentor, and you can request a new mentor if the two of you don't get along well.

Not a MSCSIA, but for the BSCSIA, my mentor was more than willing to work with me when I showed her I was willing to work towards my degree.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

(07-15-2019, 05:16 AM)ELSADDIQ Wrote: Greetings,

I previously attended WGU and completed a lot of my undergrad work here under two different degree programs. I had approximately four different program mentors due to changing programs and general attrition. I found some of these program mentors did not much care how I scheduled my classes as long as the work was completed and some wanted me to follow their course selections without deviation. The latter is a problem for me as it's my money and I know how I learn best.

For those that may have enrolled in the Master of Science, Cyber Security and Information Assurance program, have you found the mentors to be flexible in terms of scheduling or have they adhered to the "standard path" as listed in the MSCSIA Program Guidebook?

This, unfortunately, will be a make or break decision for me in terms of this program.
My brother is currently attending WGU for his masters. There are changes at the university right now and it seems that standard path is going to be the way to go. Along with changes on accessing courses outside your term as that is no longer allowed. 

You also will be limited in terms of courses you can register for. Basically WGU has slowed down the accelerating of students to some degree.
Ed.D. (Capella University)
Vice Provost for Distance & Extended Education, Online Adjunct, & Instructional Design Consultant
[-] The following 1 user Likes sacredrain's post:
  • Life_One
(07-15-2019, 08:43 PM)sacredrain Wrote:

My brother is currently attending WGU for his masters. There are changes at the university right now and it seems that standard path is going to be the way to go. Along with changes on accessing courses outside your term as that is no longer allowed. 

You also will be limited in terms of courses you can register for. Basically WGU has slowed down the accelerating of students to some degree.

They are really shooting themselves in the foot with these changes.
WGU BSCSIA (In progress starting Feb 1st 2019)  49/122 credit hours.
PierPont BOG A.A.S 2018

CompTIA A+,Sec+.
SL. Intro to Environmental Science, Intro to Biology.  6 Credit hours.
Brick and Mortar college's 50 RA credits.
Pierpont institutional credit  INFO 2207, INFO 2256, INFO 2305. 9 Credit hours.
Sophia.
 Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict. 2 Credit hours
The Institutes. 312N-H Ethics, 2 credit hours.
Brick and Mortar College. Eng 205 research writing, 3 credit hours.

CLEP. Information Systems, 3 Credit hours.
Stanford Online. America's Poverty and Inequality Course, Statement of accomplishment.  
(07-15-2019, 11:27 PM)Life_One Wrote:
(07-15-2019, 08:43 PM)sacredrain Wrote:

They are really shooting themselves in the foot with these changes.

Agreed. Thanks for the responses.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ELSADDIQ's post:
  • Life_One
I was able to get some more information from my other brother, who is currently in the BSIT program at WGU. He has been attending since January of this year and he said the changes are:

1. You no longer need a program mentor's approval to take a pre-assessment or a non IT certification exam
2. For IT certification exams you have to get approval from the course instructor
3. You can only accelerate 1 course at a time
4. You no longer have access to courses outside the ones you are currently scheduled for, so no more trying to work ahead 
5. You no longer have access to course material until the day of a term, so even if you register say 2 weeks early you can no longer access any of the course material

He did say he hates the changes because he has 15 years in the IT field and a few certifications. During his first term he completed 30 cus in the program. Last week he was ready to take an IT certification exam. He had used off site study materials and not the ucertify course that WGU uses. When he requested to take the exam, his request was denied and the course instructor told him that he had to go into the ucertify course, complete the course content and score at least a 90 on the practice exam and 3 practice tests.

My brother was livid because he lives about 90 minutes away from the nearest PearsonVue testing center and has to take off from work to schedule his exams. Back when his program mentor was allowed to approve IT certification attempts, she would approve them on the first go, but now he is having to go back through the course material and has had to put off taking the exam for 2 weeks, because this was the only time the testing center had available.

The real kicker is that during these 2 weeks he cannot add another course or even look at another course's materials due to the changes. So two weeks wasted.
Ed.D. (Capella University)
Vice Provost for Distance & Extended Education, Online Adjunct, & Instructional Design Consultant
[-] The following 1 user Likes sacredrain's post:
  • Life_One
(07-16-2019, 07:34 AM)sacredrain Wrote: I was able to get some more information from my other brother, who is currently in the BSIT program at WGU. He has been attending since January of this year and he said the changes are:

1. You no longer need a program mentor's approval to take a pre-assessment or a non IT certification exam
2. For IT certification exams you have to get approval from the course instructor
3. You can only accelerate 1 course at a time
4. You no longer have access to courses outside the ones you are currently scheduled for, so no more trying to work ahead 
5. You no longer have access to course material until the day of a term, so even if you register say 2 weeks early you can no longer access any of the course material

He did say he hates the changes because he has 15 years in the IT field and a few certifications. During his first term he completed 30 cus in the program. Last week he was ready to take an IT certification exam. He had used off site study materials and not the ucertify course that WGU uses. When he requested to take the exam, his request was denied and the course instructor told him that he had to go into the ucertify course, complete the course content and score at least a 90 on the practice exam and 3 practice tests.

My brother was livid because he lives about 90 minutes away from the nearest PearsonVue testing center and has to take off from work to schedule his exams. Back when his program mentor was allowed to approve IT certification attempts, she would approve them on the first go, but now he is having to go back through the course material and has had to put off taking the exam for 2 weeks, because this was the only time the testing center had available.

The real kicker is that during these 2 weeks he cannot add another course or even look at another course's materials due to the changes. So two weeks wasted.

Yeah, it's beginning to look like a less attractive alternative. I was already studying for CEH after having just completed another security certification so my mind is in that mode. Strategically, it wouldn't make sense for me to put off taking that class until next semester when much of what I've studied is fresh on my brain. 

Also, I've gotten a couple of my certifications through WGU and I can tell you from experience that the Ucertify material can be hit or miss.
(07-15-2019, 08:43 PM)sacredrain Wrote: My brother is currently attending WGU for his masters. There are changes at the university right now and it seems that standard path is going to be the way to go. Along with changes on accessing courses outside your term as that is no longer allowed. 

While it is true that you can no longer access course outside your term it does not mean you cannot accelerate.  What it means is that you need to complete those in your term before you can add another - in other words you're only limited with the amount of courses you start the term with (this is especially true if you're using financial aid - as those terms dictate your term credit requirements). As far as choosing what you want assigned in your term, it has been my experience (currently, at the master level) that the mentor will make recommendations (and give you reasons for such), but you do have ultimate say (unless of course you want to add something that requires a prereq that you haven't completed). 

There are other changes that have gone into effect that actually help with you being able to accelerate; such as not needing prior approval from your mentor to take a preassessment or take your first attempt at an OB (exam) after completing the preassessment.  This is a very positive change when it comes to accelerating your degree.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(07-16-2019, 08:01 AM)allvia Wrote:
(07-15-2019, 08:43 PM)sacredrain Wrote: My brother is currently attending WGU for his masters. There are changes at the university right now and it seems that standard path is going to be the way to go. Along with changes on accessing courses outside your term as that is no longer allowed. 

While it is true that you can no longer access course outside your term it does not mean you cannot accelerate.  What it means is that you need to complete those in your term before you can add another - in other words you're only limited with the amount of courses you start the term with (this is especially true if you're using financial aid - as those terms dictate your term credit requirements). As far as choosing what you want assigned in your term, it has been my experience (currently, at the master level) that the mentor will make recommendations (and give you reasons for such), but you do have ultimate say (unless of course you want to add something that requires a prereq that you haven't completed). 

There are other changes that have gone into effect that actually help with you being able to accelerate; such as not needing prior approval from your mentor to take a preassessment or take your first attempt at an OB (exam) after completing the preassessment.  This is a very positive change when it comes to accelerating your degree.

That's promising.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MBA/Other with speed, flexibility ZigZag 9 1,158 06-08-2022, 01:43 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  WGU MSCSIA update. ChilliDawg 24 5,135 07-22-2020, 07:19 AM
Last Post: ChilliDawg
  Well, it's official "official". I start my WGU MSCSIA in December ChilliDawg 3 1,039 11-08-2019, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  WGU MSCSIA program to drop CHFI exam requirement ChilliDawg 3 1,927 11-01-2019, 05:08 PM
Last Post: jsd
  WGU MSCSIA Questions ChilliDawg 6 2,152 05-24-2019, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bluebooger